If A Tomb Was Found...?

faith is a delusion , to get you through tough times , as well as good , like a permanent parent looking after you .
some people need that umbilical cord .

even if they could prove bones belong to jc no one would believe it, except those that want too .

faith has nothing to do with fact , look at how the bibles thrown around ,

the physical world cannot prove the spiritual .

I still look at atheist as people that grew up and don't need invisible friends ,

I need all of mine .
their my favorite company , they don't try and proselytize .

Faith has everything to do with fact. Because it's only with Faith in the truth that will provide power and hope to overcome the world.

I think you need lots of friends. Maybe they'd help you with your writing.

really ? you cant prove god exists or ever did but you have faith , wheres the fact ?

If an ancient family tomb was found, in Jerusalem, containing several boxes of human bones, among them one clearly marked "Mary" and another marked "Jesus, son of Joseph", would you question Christianity? Is the 'empty tomb' part of the story a requirement?

if there were tombs marked jesus and mary, i would wonder why a couple of jews living in israel had latin names.

and while i have no doubt there was a person named yeshua, what/who he was still wouldn't be any more compelling to me.

My Faith in Christ comes from the witness the Spirit gave me that Jesus is the Son of God and rose from the grave. Why would this make me question my faith? I did that years ago. And I found the answers.

Besides, hoaxes aren't difficult. Just saying.

US Discussion > Religion and Ethics > If A Tomb Was Found...?

"Mike."

"Check."​

"Is this thing on? Can you hear me now?"

If an ancient family tomb was found, in Jerusalem, containing several boxes of human bones, among them one clearly marked "Mary" and another marked "Jesus, son of Joseph", would you question Christianity? Is the 'empty tomb' part of the story a requirement?

YouTube - Lost Tomb of Jesus - Trailer

No, I wouldn't question Christianity. I would question the integrity of the find and the people who are advertising it.

Umm I think the lost tomb of Jesus has been debunked as a fraud. Or is this a new one?

But in any case I do not disupute the story of Jesus, just the accuracy of the story as far as miracles and him being the son of God.

Actually if they found his bones it would prove that he is not the son of God.

What ever happened to magic and miracles anyway?
Lots of people did them back in the old days.
heck even Pahroh's man turned his staff into a snake.

I don't know... looked like an interesting title on Netflix so I snagged it. Enjoyed the movie - James Cameron is a named backer of the project and they seem to have interviewed people who were TRYING to down-play the find, but names inscribed on boxes carbon dated to the 1st century is interesting, to say the least.

If anyone has info that it's bullshit, posting that here would be most welcome and relevant.

i would think it a very funny hoax. Since he was Jewish, not greak, he would have not gone by the greek transliteration of his name. So the bones would belong to a Joshua and Miriam.
Since folks didn't use family names, it would be very hard to figure figure which Joshua ben Joseph it was. Joseph was a common name, given the time, Joshua was also very common.
Not as common as Judas (there were two disciples with that name) But still too common a name to make any kind of intellectual jump from a particular set of bones.

Since faith is based on message, rather than relics, after 2000 years it would no longer matter.
At the time, folks like Thomas had to see for themselves. But that was then.

Since I am not interested in the message, 2000 year old witness accounts aren't that convincing.

That's amazingly close to the script. They spent half of the movie reading and translating the names and the rest calculating the odds that that list of names found in that family tomb belonged to the family of THE Jesus of Nazareth.

No, I wouldn't question Christianity. I would question the integrity of the find and the people who are advertising it.

The film seems legit to me, but I'm lazy.

BTW, this *find* was debunked.

All I could find in the first page of Google Search Debunking The Lost Tomb of Jesus was simple disagreement backed up by bible quotes.

THE ‘LOST TOMB’ OF JESUS DEBUNKED!
The Lost Tomb of Jesus (Not) - Skeptico
The Lost Tomb of Jesus | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

Does anyone know of an article that actually disputes the find, the names, or when it was dated to? Even the debunkers listed above seem to agree a first century tomb was found and the names are, shall we say, recognizable...

Why is it that atheists spend so much energy trying to disprove the bible? Afraid you might be wrong?

Often. But not about religion. I've truly looked at this issue from many sides and, like you, my God makes sense to me. Other than that, I just wanted to discuss this movie - it's one of the rare projects that make one think.

Why is it that atheists spend so much energy trying to disprove the bible? Afraid you might be wrong?

Perhaps they are just looking for answers in their own way. That's why we should always be patient and kind with them. That way they may see the reason our faith brings us happiness.

Unless of course, you aren't happy. In which case, you need to fix something in your life because the Plan of Happiness is designed to make us happy as we apply it to our lives. There is happiness in living in truth, providing charity for others, developing virtue, gaining knowledge and wisdom. Christ has given us a living faith. One we need to take advantage of.

Perhaps they are just looking for answers in their own way. That's why we should always be patient and kind with them. That way they may see the reason our faith brings us happiness.

Unless of course, you aren't happy. In which case, you need to fix something in your life because the Plan of Happiness is designed to make us happy as we apply it to our lives. There is happiness in living in truth, providing charity for others, developing virtue, gaining knowledge and wisdom. Christ has given us a living faith. One we need to take advantage of.
I'm patient and kind with puppies. Atheists and cats annoy me.

I'm patient and kind with puppies. Atheists and cats annoy me.

Ah but we are supposed to be patient and kind with all people. Including those who may be considered our enemies, though personally i dont consider Athiests such.

You know... the bottom line is that none of us actually "knows".

I find that the simplest reasoning is often the closest to the truth. Truth is, ever since I read "the DaVinci Code", I've had some struggles. Not with my faith, so much... but with the message that Jesus was trying to get across.

I think that salvation is much simpler than we make it out to be. Why would an all powerful God make his word so contradictory and convoluted if he wanted that "none should Perish"? Seems to me he would make the message forthright and obvious... right?

Also.. let's take a look at the word "none". That word screws with my head on a continual basis. That implies that he doesn't want anyone.... let me repeat... ANYONE.... to perish. Not Christians...not Jews... not Muslims... not Buddhists...not Hindus... not Atheists.

So, maybe I'm wrong... maybe I'll burn in hell for my beliefs... But I think God sent Jesus down to Earth to pay for everyone's sins. That's where "works" actually does come into play.

What if.... you were born in China and were raised a Buddhist? Born in Iran and you were raised a Muslim? Born in India and were raised a Hindu? Born on some Island in the Pacific and were raised a Pagan(ist)?

Don't you think that if God... an all powerful being that can see into the heart and soul of a person... saw that you were living your life and practicing your particular brand of religion according to it's principles... would accept that person into heaven?

Yes... you can quote me scripture after scripture showing me where I am wrong. However, the one thing that a fictional book(DaVinci Code) has stirred in me is... not a question of the existence of God, or even that Jesus was his son... but all the rules and regulations of the bible.

In short... I think it's much simpler than we think, and I also think that parts of the bible are man made, rather than divinely inspired.

I mean.. heck.. just look at the past presidential term. Look at all the falsehoods and half truths that have come from both sides of our own political spectrum.... Do you really think that the Council of Nicaea was any different than politics have been throughout the ages?

Like I said.. I believe in God... I believe in Jesus. But I also know the corruption and the actions of man.

You know... the bottom line is that none of us actually "knows".

Actually, that's blatantly false and contrary to the whole point of the scriptures which is to get people to actually know God. In fact, Eternal Life is to know God and Christ who He sent. All the scriptures are testimony of God reaching out to His people and His people learning the Truth, and often turning from it despite His long suffering and mercy toward them.

We shouldn't assume that simply because we don't know something that nobody does. It's a logical fallacy to the highest degree. The Lord has told us that He will provide Wisdom to those who ask. He tells us to seek, search, ask, knock, and that we will recieve answers. He will reveal Himself to those who seek in His own due time. I know this from personal experience and from seeing people who learn change their lives for the better.

The thing is, we have to learn the same way Peter learned. Revelation. Christ blessed Peter in Matthew 16 because he learned that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the Living God, not from Flesh and Blood but through revelation from the Father. And before Christ died He promised to send His disciples the Gift of the Holy Ghost who would teach us the Truth of all things.

I can testify with confidence that men and women have learned and do know of the existence of God and of the Divinity of Christ. I know it because the Holy Spirit shared it with me. But you will never learn unless you believe you can, because how will you recognize the Lord and his tender mercies if you don't believe He can reveal Himself?

I find that the simplest reasoning is often the closest to the truth. Truth is, ever since I read "the DaVinci Code", I've had some struggles. Not with my faith, so much... but with the message that Jesus was trying to get across.

It generally can be. God works through small and simple things to confound the proud and the wise. It's the simplist truths that cut the deepest into our lives.

I think that salvation is much simpler than we make it out to be. Why would an all powerful God make his word so contradictory and convoluted if he wanted that "none should Perish"? Seems to me he would make the message forthright and obvious... right?

I've never found the message of the Gospel that complex. In fact, I glory in it's simplicity. It's so simple children can understand it, yet has such deep meaning that you can still be unlocking it's truth's when you are on your death bed. Completely beautiful.

Also.. let's take a look at the word "none". That word screws with my head on a continual basis. That implies that he doesn't want anyone.... let me repeat... ANYONE.... to perish. Not Christians...not Jews... not Muslims... not Buddhists...not Hindus... not Atheists.

Which is why the Resurrection will cause all who have lived to rise and live again in immortality. That's why He continually invites us to repent and gives all individuals that opportunity.

So, maybe I'm wrong... maybe I'll burn in hell for my beliefs... But I think God sent Jesus down to Earth to pay for everyone's sins. That's where "works" actually does come into play.

Why on earth would you burn in hell for believing that Jesus paid for everyone's sins, when He did exactly that? That's a central part of the Gospel message.

What if.... you were born in China and were raised a Buddhist? Born in Iran and you were raised a Muslim? Born in India and were raised a Hindu? Born on some Island in the Pacific and were raised a Pagan(ist)?

You will have the opportunity to accept the Atonement.

Don't you think that if God... an all powerful being that can see into the heart and soul of a person... saw that you were living your life and practicing your particular brand of religion according to it's principles... would accept that person into heaven?

It's not living principles that gets us into heaven. It's the daily changes we make to our lives to become something more than we are with the help of Christ that does. It's the fact that justice has been paid and mercy can be extended. It's not what we are doing, but whom we are becoming that Christ is here to change. He can change our very nature if we let Him. And by doing that, our actions will change naturally.

Yes... you can quote me scripture after scripture showing me where I am wrong. However, the one thing that a fictional book(DaVinci Code) has stirred in me is... not a question of the existence of God, or even that Jesus was his son... but all the rules and regulations of the bible.

Rules and regulations can't save us. They were never designed to. The commandments the Lord gives us are to help us grow after we've accepted Him. They are his way to bless us as a people. The Lord gives us commandments to help become like Him. To discipline our lives through Faith in His name and recieve the full power and blessings of Heaven. But in order to truly find a desire to keep the commandments and recieve the blessings from them we need to understand the plan God has for mankind. We have to know God through our studies, prayer and revelations.

In short... I think it's much simpler than we think, and I also think that parts of the bible are man made, rather than divinely inspired.

It is much simpler than we think. And the Bible is written by the hands of men inspired of God. It contains the Word of God. It contains the words of good men, and the words of bad men. It contains the words of the Angels of heaven and the devil himself. And it contains the words of an ass.

I mean.. heck.. just look at the past presidential term. Look at all the falsehoods and half truths that have come from both sides of our own political spectrum.... Do you really think that the Council of Nicaea was any different than politics have been throughout the ages?

I don't think the Council of Nicaea was inspired in any way. Quite the opposite. It was an inadvertant recognition of their lack of connection with God. Rather than settle the disputes by turning to Him and receiving revelation as all His servants had in the past. They had a meeting argued Philosophy and wrote a creed that more than half of Christendom who were serious about their faith immediately became heretics and were told to worship and unknowable God. Which amazingly is the exact opposite of Eternal life which is knowing God.

Like I said.. I believe in God... I believe in Jesus. But I also know the corruption and the actions of man.

It's good to recognize the weaknesses of men. But the power of God can overcome them all if we humbly seek Him and watch for His Tender Mercies.

Forum List

Back