"Idiots," "Anarchists," and "Assholes": John Boehner Unloads On Republicans

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
Boehner-Post-Interview.jpg

The former House Speaker spends most of his time on the golf course, but he's still stewing over the state of the Republican party.

In 2015, then-Republican House Speaker John Boehner announced that he was retiring from Congress in the middle of his term, surrendering his position as the third-most-powerful politician in America to Paul Ryan and high-tailing it back to Ohio to smoke cigarettes and play golf. At the time, Boehner's abrupt resignation seemed like an acknowledgement that he’d failed as Speaker, unable to corral a growing ultra-conservative insurgency in his caucus. In retrospect, though, it appears he dodged the biggest bullet in American history: Donald Trump. With Ryan struggling to stay in step with the president, and the Republican-held government scrambling to pass any sort of meaningful legislation, Boehner's time as speaker seems downright tranquil in comparison.

Despite his remove, Boehner has been following Trump's ascendance with a critical eye. “Everything else he’s done (in office) has been a complete disaster,” the former Speaker told the Associated Press over the summer. “He’s still learning how to be president.” And as Politico discovered in a long-form interview with Boehner, the Ohio Republican is still haunted by the idea that he paved the way for Trump's takeover of the G.O.P. That idea may have some merit—he was, after all, part of the party's first wave of outsider populism when he was elected in 1994—but in over 18 hours of conversation with Politico’s Tim Alberta,Boehner, now golfing frequently and ironing his underwear in peace, opened up about his frustration with today's Republican party:

When I ask Boehner whether the Republican Party can survive this, he cuts me off. “There is no Rep—.” He stops himself. “You were about to say, ‘There is no Republican Party,’” I tell him. He shrugs. “There is. But what does it even mean? Donald Trump’s not a Republican. He’s not a Democrat. He’s a populist. He doesn’t have an ideological bone in his body.” So who, I ask, is the leader of the party? “There is nobody,” he says.​

On the House Freedom Caucus, whose members at times have stubbornly resisted the G.O.P.'s legislative agenda:

“They can’t tell you what they’re for. They can tell you everything they’re against. They’re anarchists. They want total chaos. Tear it all down and start over. That’s where their mindset is.”​

On Freedom Caucus co-founder Rep. Mark Meadows:

“He’s an idiot. I can’t tell you what makes him tick.”​

On Freedom Caucus co-founder Rep. Jim Jordan:

“Jordan was a terrorist as a legislator going back to his days in the Ohio House and Senate … A terrorist. A legislative terrorist.”​

“Idiots,” “Anarchists,” and “Assholes”: Boehner Unloads on Republicans

Boehner nailed that post-retirement interview. True then and true now. What do you think?

The former House Speaker spends most of his time on the golf course, but he's still stewing over the state of the Republican party.

In 2015, then-Republican House Speaker John Boehner announced that he was retiring from Congress in the middle of his term, surrendering his position as the third-most-powerful politician in America to Paul Ryan and high-tailing it back to Ohio to smoke cigarettes and play golf. At the time, Boehner's abrupt resignation seemed like an acknowledgment that he’d failed as Speaker, unable to corral a growing ultra-conservative insurgency in his caucus. In retrospect, though, it appears he dodged the biggest bullet in American history: Donald Trump. With Ryan struggling to stay in step with the president, and the Republican-held government scrambling to pass any sort of meaningful legislation, Boehner's time as speaker seems downright tranquil in comparison.

Despite his remove, Boehner has been following Trump's ascendance with a critical eye. “Everything else he’s done (in office) has been a complete disaster,” the former Speaker told the Associated Press over the summer. “He’s still learning how to be president.” And as Politico discovered in a long-form interview with Boehner, the Ohio Republican is still haunted by the idea that he paved the way for Trump's takeover of the G.O.P. That idea may have some merit—he was, after all, part of the party's first wave of outsider populism when he was elected in 1994—but in over 18 hours of conversation with Politico’s Tim Alberta,Boehner, now golfing frequently and ironing his underwear in peace, opened up about his frustration with today's Republican party:

When I asked Boehner whether the Republican Party can survive this, he cuts me off. “There is no Rep—.” He stops himself. “You were about to say, ‘There is no Republican Party,’” I tell him. He shrugs. “There is. But what does it even mean? Donald Trump’s not a Republican. He’s not a Democrat. He’s a populist. He doesn’t have an ideological bone in his body.” So who, I ask, is the leader of the party? “There is nobody,” he says.​

On the House Freedom Caucus, whose members at times have stubbornly resisted the G.O.P.'s legislative agenda:

“They can’t tell you what they’re for. They can tell you everything they’re against. They’re anarchists. They want total chaos. Tear it all down and start over. That’s where their mindset is.”​

“Jordan was a terrorist as a legislator going back to his days in the Ohio House and Senate … A terrorist. A legislative terrorist.”​

Boehner nailed that post-retirement interview. True then and true now. What do you think?

I can imagine Boehner doing the dialogue from the ending of Howard Stern's autobiopic, "Private Parts."

The Program Director who was unable to see Howard's talent and stood in his way as much as he could, "Pig Vomit" (Paul Giamatti) was unable to stay in the business he loved, presumably due to his mistakes made when dealing with Stern. And, trying as hard as he can, he can't contain his bitterness and deep resentment for the man he believes cost him his career.

For Pig Vomit, the man was Stern.

For Boehner, the man was Trump.

NSFW (Swearing)

Last edited:
The guy who was driven out of the Republican party in disgrace is unhappy. Yeah. I spose he is.

The guy who was driven out of the Republican party in disgrace is unhappy. Yeah. I spose he is.

How and why was Boehner "driven out of the Republican party in disgrace"? As I recall he was fed up with the Teabagger Freedom Caucus assholes.

In 2015, then-Republican House Speaker John Boehner announced that he was retiring from Congress in the middle of his term, surrendering his position as the third-most-powerful politician in America to Paul Ryan and high-tailing it back to Ohio to smoke cigarettes and play golf. At the time, Boehner's abrupt resignation seemed like an acknowledgement that he’d failed as Speaker, unable to corral a growing ultra-conservative insurgency in his caucus. In retrospect, though, it appears he dodged the biggest bullet in American history: Donald Trump. With Ryan struggling to stay in step with the president, and the Republican-held government scrambling to pass any sort of meaningful legislation, Boehner's time as speaker seems downright tranquil in comparison.

When I ask Boehner whether the Republican Party can survive this, he cuts me off. “There is no Rep—.” He stops himself. “You were about to say, ‘There is no Republican Party,’” I tell him. He shrugs. “There is. But what does it even mean? Donald Trump’s not a Republican. He’s not a Democrat. He’s a populist. He doesn’t have an ideological bone in his body.” So who, I ask, is the leader of the party? “There is nobody,” he says.​

You mean the water works you guys hated for years? That Boner?

Washington redskin,
John Bonner is an pot smoking idiot... He is dazed and confused 25 hours a day

Bringing John Boehner back to political life somehow again eh ??? Desperate times calls for desperate measures I guess. :)

Ya know, the left gets all misty eyed when they look back on the pre-Trump GOP but they'd still be calling everyone who disagrees with them a racist even if Hillary had won.

Now you like John Boehner

Now you like John Boehner

No, I didn't like him then or now - but I've always known he was not a Teabagger Freedom Caucus anarchist.

No, I didn't like him then or now - but I've always known he was not a Teabagger Freedom Caucus anarchist.

You prefer an establishment asshole like boner over somebody that wants to get loud and shake things up in the Republican party? Idiot.

When you know you’re losing the battle, call on the has been former worthless House Speaker to run cover? Give it up already, you’re tactics suck, Americans are getting wiser by the minute!

There's a reason we kicked Boner out of the party: he's an imbecile and a traitor. He stabbed his constituents in the back. It's the same reason we kicked Ryan out.

When you know you’re losing the battle, call on the has been former worthless House Speaker to run cover? Give it up already, you’re tactics suck, Americans are getting wiser by the minute!

Wiser to what?

Forum List

Back