I work for the government

I posted this on another message board a few years ago, I just thought I'd post it here to. Some of the numbers have gone up since I originally posted it. None of them have gone down.

Federal Income tax 19%
Social Security Tax 6.2% (plus my employer pays 6.2%) total 12.4%
Medicare Tax 1.45% (plus my employer pays 1.45%) total 2.9%
State Income tax 7.5%
Sales tax on purchases 7.5%
Property tax on house value 1.1%
Property Tax on vehicles (3) 1.6%
Registration fee on vehicles (3) 0.8%
Required annual state inspection on vehicles (3) $138.00 ($46.00 each)
Estimated annual taxes on my phone bill $162.00
Estimated annual taxes on gasoline $1448.00
Estimated annual tax on cigarettes $1250.00
Estimated annual tax on alcohol $1500.00
I’m sure I forgot some hidden taxes.

The first 4 equal 41.8% of my income.
It is official. The government makes more money off me than I do.

Papa said years ago best jobs are government jobs. We were not smart enough to hear it. Shoot you'd at least be recovering a portion of what you pay in.

If your property taxes are only 1.1% of your property value I'm envious. We've put out more in property taxes on this place in the last ten years than we originally paid for the place and the cost we put into a few improvements. The scale house building at the sand pit was taxed at 16% percent yearly of the cost of putting it in. (I think I got a special rate on that being it was a small business enterprise.)

Get ready for the new insurance tax. Rod keeps telling me to get that insurance license updated. Should one do something in the way of working that they can't stand (sales of insurance)?

Our property tax rate is 1.5....

so, $15 bucks for every thousand dollars your house is estimated to be worth by their assessors....sucks, my house has dropped in value, but the taxes have gone up, i requested a new gvt assessment but it won;t happen for another year....the mil rate wqas 1.4 last year so our tax rate went up this year, on top of my house being over valued because we bought right at the peak of the market back in late 2006.

I posted this on another message board a few years ago, I just thought I'd post it here to. Some of the numbers have gone up since I originally posted it. None of them have gone down.

Federal Income tax 19%
Social Security Tax 6.2% (plus my employer pays 6.2%) total 12.4%
Medicare Tax 1.45% (plus my employer pays 1.45%) total 2.9%
State Income tax 7.5%
Sales tax on purchases 7.5%
Property tax on house value 1.1%
Property Tax on vehicles (3) 1.6%
Registration fee on vehicles (3) 0.8%
Required annual state inspection on vehicles (3) $138.00 ($46.00 each)
Estimated annual taxes on my phone bill $162.00
Estimated annual taxes on gasoline $1448.00
Estimated annual tax on cigarettes $1250.00
Estimated annual tax on alcohol $1500.00
I’m sure I forgot some hidden taxes.

The first 4 equal 41.8% of my income.
It is official. The government makes more money off me than I do.

Papa said years ago best jobs are government jobs. We were not smart enough to hear it. Shoot you'd at least be recovering a portion of what you pay in.

If your property taxes are only 1.1% of your property value I'm envious. We've put out more in property taxes on this place in the last ten years than we originally paid for the place and the cost we put into a few improvements. The scale house building at the sand pit was taxed at 16% percent yearly of the cost of putting it in. (I think I got a special rate on that being it was a small business enterprise.)

Get ready for the new insurance tax. Rod keeps telling me to get that insurance license updated. Should one do something in the way of working that they can't stand (sales of insurance)?

Property tax has gone up sin I originally posted this on another board, it's 1.3% for rel estate now.

I calculated my total tax take at about 25%.

do you own a home and pay property tax in that figure? are you in florida? no state income tax and low cig tax there...and lower property taxes, 25k honestead exemption i believe, as well...

I calculated my total tax take at about 25%.

do you own a home and pay property tax in that figure? are you in florida? no state income tax and low cig tax there...and lower property taxes, 25k honestead exemption i believe, as well...

I'm in Florida, own a home, pay property tax, do OK financially and don't smoke.

my parents live in florida...they have a mansion...well it is a mansion to me.....3200 plus square feet plus a 2 car garage and a spot for their RV, on an acre and a half in a very lovely newer community outside of the ocala region....horse country....they pay less in property taxes than matt and i do for a less than 1500 sq foot home with no garage....they also have no State income tax....i don;t smoke either, but if i did, maine has a $2.00 a pack State tax plus the federal tobacco tax, i think around 75 cents? our sales tax is only 5 % here but this is in addition to the State income tax.... we do have a homestead exemption here, but it is only for 10 grand, and when i left florida 12 years ago the homestead exemption from property taxes was 25 grand....I don;t know if it has gone up....oh and the cigarette taxes in the south are much lower than the north east, i think Florida is below 40 cents compared to the $2 bucks a pac here...and just below $2 bucks in massachusetts

All of the above, is the reason why many of those in the northeast end up retiring in florida and florida is filled with seniors....it is a tax friendly state, to say the least....along with being the Sunshine state.

I'm heading there for a 3 week stay with my parents in less than a week.

God bless having family in Florida, when you live in Maine! :eek: :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wqh0fxwyx4]YouTube - Enslaved ( And you call this Freedom? )[/ame]

The government man that thought up taking taxes out of paychecks was a genius.

If everyone had to write a check to the IRS on April 15th...there'd be another revolution.

That's just it... the time for another revolution is all but at hand. How much more out of control government are the American people willing to accept... peacefully?

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back