I work for the government

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alan1, Nov 8, 2009.

  1. alan1
    Offline

    alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    18,845
    Thanks Received:
    3,577
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Shoveling the ashes
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    I posted this on another message board a few years ago, I just thought I'd post it here to. Some of the numbers have gone up since I originally posted it. None of them have gone down.

    Federal Income tax 19%
    Social Security Tax 6.2% (plus my employer pays 6.2%) total 12.4%
    Medicare Tax 1.45% (plus my employer pays 1.45%) total 2.9%
    State Income tax 7.5%
    Sales tax on purchases 7.5%
    Property tax on house value 1.1%
    Property Tax on vehicles (3) 1.6%
    Registration fee on vehicles (3) 0.8%
    Required annual state inspection on vehicles (3) $138.00 ($46.00 each)
    Estimated annual taxes on my phone bill $162.00
    Estimated annual taxes on gasoline $1448.00
    Estimated annual tax on cigarettes $1250.00
    Estimated annual tax on alcohol $1500.00
    I’m sure I forgot some hidden taxes.


    The first 4 equal 41.8% of my income.
    It is official. The government makes more money off me than I do.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Zoom-boing
    Offline

    Zoom-boing Gold Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    25,062
    Thanks Received:
    7,260
    Trophy Points:
    260
    Location:
    East Japip
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    At some point uncle will just take it all and give us back a monthly allowance.
     
  3. Care4all
    Offline

    Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Messages:
    32,743
    Thanks Received:
    6,617
    Trophy Points:
    1,170
    Location:
    Maine
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    I agree, we are in the same boat, though our income tax percent is not as high nor drinking/ cigarette bill, but i would venture to say that we probably pay close or more than that 40%... in total taxes when said and done and i can assure you that we have paid more in taxes than we have ever been able to save each year, for our own retirement and security.
     
  4. alan1
    Offline

    alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    18,845
    Thanks Received:
    3,577
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Shoveling the ashes
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    That seems to be the hidden agenda.
     
  5. alan1
    Offline

    alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    18,845
    Thanks Received:
    3,577
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Shoveling the ashes
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Just imagine how much you could save if your taxes weren't so aggressive.

    I'm sure it won't be long before some idiot comes along and tries to strawman an argument asking me if I want to give up police protection in favor of zero taxes or some other such nonsense. Somebody will take it to an extreme.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Care4all
    Offline

    Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Messages:
    32,743
    Thanks Received:
    6,617
    Trophy Points:
    1,170
    Location:
    Maine
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    i suppose the Cheetos man avatar could be firing a rifle instead of an enormously huge, figment of his imagination?

    :D
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. RadiomanATL
    Offline

    RadiomanATL Senior Member

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2009
    Messages:
    24,944
    Thanks Received:
    3,823
    Trophy Points:
    48
    Location:
    Not here
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    It's a fishing pole.

    He's fishing for tuna.
     
  8. Care4all
    Offline

    Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2007
    Messages:
    32,743
    Thanks Received:
    6,617
    Trophy Points:
    1,170
    Location:
    Maine
    Ratings:
    +11,081
    :lol:
    This reminds me of something....
    My husband, God bless him and all male minds, is a song writer, musician, singer in his part time...and he wrote a song, called "Fishing Hole" many moons ago, that was a "play" on words and about him loosing a "girl friend", the fishing hole was the girlfriend, and ''a place to rest his Oar'' or where he "Sank his Ship" was...well...you know, place to "take care of business" as he calls it, his fishing hole, his girlfriend....and his "Fishing hole, now dried up" was losing this girlfriend :D It was done to the tune of Johnny be Good, or basically Rockabilly, it was funny as heck...quite talented, really, of him!!! :lol:

    I don;t remember most of the words, but i need him to sing that one to me again tonight or give me the song words, and i will share! I swear, the way men think or can think, when it comes to sex, it never seems to amaze me! :lol:
     
  9. PoliticalChic
    Online

    PoliticalChic Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2008
    Messages:
    55,736
    Thanks Received:
    15,622
    Trophy Points:
    2,190
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ratings:
    +24,877
    The title of the OP is prescient.

    The Democrats won't be satisfied 'til we all work for the government.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. alan1
    Offline

    alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    18,845
    Thanks Received:
    3,577
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Shoveling the ashes
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Stick to the topic.
     

Share This Page