"I will repeal Obamacare" Mitt Romney

No heat from those who don't like Obama over Romney being "LEGISLATOR IN CHIEF"?

I don't understand what you are referring to?

Can you elaborate a bit?

Romney, if elected president, states he will "repeal" Obamacare, also known as the ACA. The President cannot "repeal" legislation.

Obama has done that with executive orders in the past so presidents do this sometimes.

1,461 Days of The Obama Administration: Current List of President Obama's Executive Orders

Do you think Obama broke the rules/laws when he did it? I thought that the President had that authority even though I dislike the way Obama and bush have both used it in the past.

You are right though, presidents can't repeal legislation but they can put out executive orders to stop legislation's impact or to have legislation that did not pass go into effect (most recently obama's executive order on the dream act). However, under article 3, the supreme court can review any and all executive orders for constitutionality so there is a check on that power.

Romney, if elected president, states he will "repeal" Obamacare, also known as the ACA. The President cannot "repeal" legislation.

1) he in effect can repeal since the 2700 page law depends on executive authority and action far more than most laws

2) he can immediately stop it dead by having a waiver issued to each state.

3) if the nation elects Romney the Congress will want to go along with him to repeal and replace with something a lot closer to capitalism

I don't understand what you are referring to?

Can you elaborate a bit?

Obama has done that with executive orders in the past so presidents do this sometimes.

1,461 Days of The Obama Administration: Current List of President Obama's Executive Orders

Do you think Obama broke the rules/laws when he did it? I thought that the President had that authority even though I dislike the way Obama and bush have both used it in the past.

You are right though, presidents can't repeal legislation but they can put out executive orders to stop legislation's impact or to have legislation that did not pass go into effect (most recently obama's executive order on the dream act). However, under article 3, the supreme court can review any and all executive orders for constitutionality so there is a check on that power.
He certainly can issue elective orders that would stop the final phase of implementation but from a pure political standpoint, it would be unimaginable that the first act of the new president would be to cancel the insurance that 30 million people are counting on receiving within months.

Most of the items in the law will have been implemented such as the tax increases. Stopping the implementation of the insurance exchanges and all the insurance policy changes which would go into effect within months would be a disaster without accompanying legislation.

The only thing Romney could do is submit replacement legislation to congress, which would only pass if Republicans controlled both Houses. Even with that control, it would certainly take at least a year or more to pass. By then 30 million more people will have insurance, low income tax payers will be getting tax credits for buying insurance. At that point, there isn't much that can be done. The only hope Republicans have is SCOTUS.

romney, if elected president, states he will "repeal" obamacare, also known as the aca. The president cannot "repeal" legislation.

obama has done that with executive orders in the past so presidents do this sometimes.

1,461 days of the obama administration: Current list of president obama's executive orders

do you think obama broke the rules/laws when he did it? I thought that the president had that authority even though i dislike the way obama and bush have both used it in the past.

he certainly can issue elective orders that would stop the final phase of implementation but from a pure political standpoint, it would be unimaginable that the first act of the new president would be to cancel the insurance that 30 million people are counting on receiving within months.

Most of the items in the law will have been implemented such as the tax increases. Stopping the implementation of the insurance exchanges and all the insurance policy changes which would go into effect within months would be a disaster without accompanying legislation.

the only thing romney could do is submit replacement legislation to congress, which would only pass if republicans controlled both houses. Even with that control, it would certainly take at least a year or more to pass. By then 30 million more people will have insurance, low income tax payers will be getting tax credits for buying insurance. At that point, there isn't much that can be done. The only hope republicans have is scotus.

bingo!

Oh yeah we'd rather prefer to be drones who need to be "protected" from and "insured" against the potential cumbersome COST of maintaining our own good health...

Take me to your leeeeeader...........

sheeple3.jpg

Buying what specifically?

The doublespeak. Republicans are nominating the only person in the country who's done more to further the cause of mandated insurance than Obama - on the promise he'll repeal a national law based on a program he created. The irony is beyond sanity. But I guess that's politics.

I can't believe people are buying this.

The doublespeak. Republicans are nominating the only person in the country who's done more to further the cause of mandated insurance than Obama - on the promise he'll repeal a national law based on a program he created. The irony is beyond sanity. But I guess that's politics.

But he has NEVER advocated for it on a federal level. He has always said it is a states issue and should be handled how individual states see fit.

Obamacare oversteps the Federal Govt's constitutionally limited authority and Romney would not and has not supported the mandate on a federal level.

Its not Ironic at all for somone who understands and believes in the 10th ammendment.

But he has NEVER advocated for it on a federal level. He has always said it is a states issue and should be handled how individual states see fit.

Obamacare oversteps the Federal Govt's constitutionally limited authority and Romney would not and has not supported the mandate on a federal level.

Its not Ironic at all for somone who understands and believes in the 10th ammendment.

Romney doesn't "get" why it's wrong to use government in that way. He's still defending the core principle of Obamacare. That's why it's painfully ironic, and frankly impossible to believe, that he's going to lead the campaign against it. Let's face it, Ronmey is where he is because the people who finance our political system KNOW he'll do their bidding. They've served us up two candidates with the same ideology - essentially no ideology other than a desire for power and control.

Romney doesn't "get" why it's wrong to use government in that way. He's still defending the core principle of Obamacare. That's why it's painfully ironic, and frankly impossible to believe, that he's going to lead the campaign against it. Let's face it, Ronmey is where he is because the people who finance our political system KNOW he'll do their bidding. They've served us up two candidates with the same ideology - essentially no ideology other than a desire for power and control.

You realize individual American citizens have actually been casting VOTES in these primaries, right? A majority COULD have voted for Ron Paul or Newt Gingrinch or Rick Sanctorum...BUT alas they chose to Vote for Mitt, much to the chagrin of GOP religious wingnuts, MOST Americans want to focus on the economy and think Mitt best represents their interests in that regard...

The U.S. Constitution establishes a government based on "federalism," or the sharing of power between the national, and state (and local) governments. Our power-sharing form of government is the opposite of "centralized" governments, such as those in England and France, under which national government maintains total power.

While each of the 50 states has its own constitution, all provisions of state constitutions must comply with the U.S. Constitution.

Under the U.S. Constitution, both the national and state governments are granted certain exclusive powers and share other powers.

Federalism: National vs. State Government

You realize individual American citizens have actually been casting VOTES in these primaries, right?

Sure, I get that. That's what I find so ironic. They keep falling for the same bullshit over and over again.

MOST Americans want to focus on the economy and think Mitt best represents their interests in that regard...

Right, and I think they are utterly wrong to want government meddling with the economy. The practice of merging economic power and state power is the most distressing trend in government. It's an accelerating trend and, worse, it's supported by both major parties. The left thinks it's all about putting 'reigns' on corporations, and the right thinks it's all about manipulating markets to make us 'rich', but it ends up in the same place. When the economy and the government become one, freedom will be a thing of the past.

Romney does get that the federal government can not be used in that way, he has stated it and even explained that in the video you responded to.

Again how does Romney believing in the 10th ammendment create irony?

Forum List

Back