I want the word liberal back

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Quantum Windbag, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    The modern Left, calling themselves liberals, claim they embrace change. They have even been known to point to studies that "prove" that the ability to accept change gives them an evolutionary advantage, and an edge in intelligence. They claim this makes them smarter than conservatives, who they argue want to keep things they way they were done in the good old days. Yet they refuse to accept the one area of change that is undeniable.

The days when we can pretend the rest of the world doesn't matter are long gone. The economy is global now, and the US can no longer compete in the world market just because the Left insist that more regulations and higher taxes will solve all our problems. Politicians stand up and defend the "Buy American" ideal. They like to pretend that they can come up with the magic combination of taxes and spending that will magically grow the middle class. They like to pretend that they care about Main Street, and they even demonize Wall Street and corporations.

Corporate CEOs live in a different world.

No, not that one, the politicians have just as much money and more power than CEOs, and always will. The world that CEOs live in, the one the Left pretends doesn't exist, is a world where free trade is going to happen despite the government.

Clinton did not sign NAFTA because he loved corporations, he signed it because somebody sat down and convinced him the world that exists is not the same world that he learned about in school. The US needs free trade to survive in the world today, and no amount of political posturing is going to change that.

Liberals, if you are not going to accept the world the way it is stop pretending you are smarter than the people who you claim are afraid of change, even though they eagerly embrace it. Get out of the way, give me my word back, and start calling yourself what you are, conservatives.

2. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    I am a classical liberal, not to be confused with a neo-classical liberal or a social liberal. The left and right scale is nothing more than an artificial force used to divide society into two opposing camps, whilst playing class warfare. Edited.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  3. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    Bertrand Russell-

somehow the definition of liberal has changed in the last 50 years

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,441
    cute rant.

liberalism is not the same as being a spoiled brat who hates rules.... well, except when they tell women what to do with their bodies, of course.

that aside, i think bill was a generally good president. but sighing NAFTA was not beneficial to us. he should never have given in to the right on that issue.

5. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Oh sure. "Liberal" has been demonized, and demonized well. This probably was started in a more genteel way, by Reagan, and set on the path we now find it by Gingrich.

Edited

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  6. onecut39

onecut39 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    At the time I thought NAFTA was a good thing. At the time I thought there were provisions for the support of unions in Mexico. At the time I thought that would allow for the raising of the Mexican worker and ease the huge differential in labor costs. At the time I thought the treaty would be enforced.

Looks like I was wrong about everything.

7. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    While we're at it I want to reclaim the word "gay" to refer to a person who is happy rather than a person who commits unnatural acts.
    And I want a re-do on "Negro" which is far more descriptive and accurate than "black" or "African American".

As to NAFTA, it proves even Democrats understand economics to some degree. I wish people who consider themselves conservatives would take a lesson.

8. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I don't hate rules, I just ignore them, totally different.

NAFTA resulted in years of prosperity here, how was it not good?

9. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    Stringent fits better

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Ross was right about NAFTA.
    And to compete in a free trade world we need to lower our lifestyles.