I told you so...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bullypulpit, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    <center><a href=http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/03/09/security.letters/index.html><b>Audit: FBI's Patriot Act snooping broke rules</b></a></center>

History has shown us, repeatedly, that when the government gives itself powers exceeding those enumerated by law, custom or constitution, those powers WILL be abused. And that is the case here.

And should Congress repeal, or at least limit the most offensive elements of, the PATRIOT Act, it will make it that much easier for future lawmakers to pass similar or even more draconian measures.

Hate to say it, but I told you so.

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What did you tell? That some of those in positions of power will abuse it? Hardly a novel idea on your part.

3. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Just more proof that the neocons who stole Americans' freedoms with the "Patriot" Act are perhaps the most real danger to our personal liberties in our day and age.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Help Help !

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Blind fools like you who can't even recognize a threat and unwilling to do anything to defend your liberties are the biggest threat to them. You can't violate liberties that cease to exist, Einstein.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I am fully supportive of actions taken to address real threats to America. Islamic extremism is just such a threat - and that was made crystal clear to everyone on 9/11/01. It is my assertion that the war in Iraq is counterproductive to our efforts to deal with the threat of Islamic extremism. If this president had kept his eye on the ball, I would still be as supportive of him as I was in the weeks and months after 9/11.

I am in complete agreement that we are at war against Islamic extremism. I disagree with the propostion that Iraq was a wisely chosen offensive in that war. I think it hurts our broader efforts in the greater war we ought to be fighting.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    As stated, I agree. Although I STILL believe there was reason to remove Saddam from power, I think invading Iraq when we did distracted focus from the more serious threat of Islamic extremism.

8. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    distracted the focus, wasted years of time, cost 26K dead and wounded, and flushed a trillion dollars that could have been used in an infinite number of more productive endeavors that starting a civil war in Iraq that threatens to engulf the region.

There may have been reasons to remove Saddam, but there were many more good reasons not to. His ability to keep islamic extremists out, his ability to keep sunnis and shiites from slaughering one another, and his ability to keep Iranian hegemony somewhat in check are all things that we would be much better off today having HIM be successful doing rather than ourselves tying up 150K troops being relatively unsuccessful doing.

9. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Typical neocon reactionary response... "we must give up our liberties before someone takes them from us!"

You know, I'm too goddamn close to my twenty-year letter to have anyone, particularly some loudmouth on a message board, accuse me of being "unwilling to do anything to defend your liberties." I recognize threats all around me... and I see the systematic degradation of our rights by the neocon "give them away before someone takes them" group as pretty friggin' big.

10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Those liberties cease to exist when the government passes laws to undermine them.

And I did say, repeatedly and in numerous ways, that the powers passed under the guise of the PATRIOT Act would be abused.