I think I may have to fire my lead crewman.

Lots of good ideas here...I could never be a good businessman because I would hate firing anyone. It sounds like all the best solutions are going to be contingent on his seeing a doctor first.
Getting fired is not the end of the world. In fact, for many people it is a turning point in their lives leading to career changes, returning to school, or relocating.
56 years old is not the time to change careers.

Just meet him for beers. Told him the doctor visit was a must and even then returning to work in the same capacity was unlikely. Gave him another week to goto the doctor and said we could discuss the future AFTER that.
He wanted to skate by with a visit to one of those pop in clinics. Told him that wasn't sufficient and he needed an in depth examination.

I did learn that he has started smoking pot. Told me when he started and I told him when I think his decline started. I don' think he got it...
Anytime is a good time to start a new career if you are willing to get the training and experience you need for that career.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become a network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting firm doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
You are not bored being retired?
No, not really. There is always something to do. If you find the right kind of volunteer work, it can be very rewarding. You just have to make yourself get off your butt and do something.

Lots of good ideas here...I could never be a good businessman because I would hate firing anyone. It sounds like all the best solutions are going to be contingent on his seeing a doctor first.
Getting fired is not the end of the world. In fact, for many people it is a turning point in their lives leading to career changes, returning to school, or relocating.

Just meet him for beers. Told him the doctor visit was a must and even then returning to work in the same capacity was unlikely. Gave him another week to goto the doctor and said we could discuss the future AFTER that.
He wanted to skate by with a visit to one of those pop in clinics. Told him that wasn't sufficient and he needed an in depth examination.

I did learn that he has started smoking pot. Told me when he started and I told him when I think his decline started. I don' think he got it...
Anytime is a good time to start a new career if you are willing to get the training and experience you need for that career.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become a network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting firm doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
No, not really. There is always something to do. If you find the right kind of volunteer work, it can be very rewarding. You just have to make yourself get off your butt and do something.
True, I went back to work..

I don't Intend to retire. I love my job.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
You had ambition & health. He has neither.
Yes, I did have the ambition but not the health. I managed to keep going because I really had a need to work. Today, I can't hold down a full time job but I volunteer two days and take care of my grand kids two days a week. It's not much fun but it sure as hell beats spending all day on bulletin boards like this one and watching TV.
Grandkids aren't fun???

You must be high lol
No, a 17 year old nutty teen who wants to kill herself, a 15 year old that failing half his classes and wants to spend his life playing video games, and a 9 year old autistic boy. No, working with these kids is not fun. My other grand kids are fun, but they live a thousand miles away. I take care these kids because their Mom has to work and their dad is long gone. I do it because there is no one else to do it.

Last edited:

I don't Intend to retire. I love my job.
That's great. As long as you love your work keep doing it as long as you can.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
You had ambition & health. He has neither.
Yes, I did have the ambition but not the health. I managed to keep going because I really had a need to work. Today, I can't hold down a full time job but I volunteer two days and take care of my grand kids two days a week. It's not much fun but it sure as hell beats spending all day on bulletin boards like this one and watching TV.
Grandkids aren't fun???

You must be high lol
No, a 17 year old nutty teen who wants to kill herself, a 15 year old that failing half his classes and wants to spend his life playing video games, and a 9 year old autistic boy. No, working with these kids is not fun. My other grand kids are fun, but they live a thousand miles away. I take care these kids because their Mom has to work and their dad is long gone. I do it because there is no one else to do it.
You do it because you care. Stop the bs. Many kids don't get what you're offering. Know why? Because no one cares. You clearly do.
Try to find & focus on the positive. That's what misguided teens need more than anything.

Forum List

Back