I think I may have to fire my lead crewman.

Laid him off last week after a job was butchered. He has been complaining since early summer about physical ailments and I've told him regularly to goto the damn doctor. It has gotten to the point that it is severely affecting his reliability & skill.
Last week I told him to take some time off and get to the doctor. I've called him every day and asked what the doctors had to say and he's said "I haven't gone yet".
Today he informed me that he's feeling fine and ready to go. Thing is I've heard this before a dozen times.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. The man has given me 16 loyal years and i consider him a friend but the judgment & quality of his work has slipped dramatically. Not to mention almost every remodel has gone over the allotted time by 2 to 5 days in the last few months. While that may not sound like a lot it is a schedule busting nightmare and is costing me a fortune in lost income.
I am TRUELY tortured with this decision.

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Just tell him he will need medical clearance from an actual doctor and until then he can not work.

If he balks let him go.

Business is business and I understand you want to do the right thing but falling behind of schedule is something you can not do in Construction because clients can be real assholes...

It’s never easy to make a decision that affects someone’s life.

When my GF was a nursing instructor, she came to me about a student who was caught giving meds without an RN being present.
She was upset because the student had been told before, and she didn’t want any of her students to fail.

After a short discussion about her obligations as an instructor, she kicked that stupid bitch out of the program. :)

You can't work in construction when you're high. Shoddy work causes people to get hurt. Which causes employers to get sued.

I'll not go into detail about my line of work, but I've taken crews of men into military bases and other similar places. They don't get in without peeing in a cup on site first.

What syriusly said. But I would like to add, if I recall it has only been since the election things have picked up for you. If so, then also tell him, “I know we all got used to things being slow due to the economy, but it has picked up again and we also need to pick our pace back up. I can’t afford job time overruns. We are too busy and it costs too much. If the guys can’t keep up, let them go and find new ones that can give us quality, and bust their asses. Otherwise, some changes will need to be made.”

Jmo .
Laid him off last week after a job was butchered. He has been complaining since early summer about physical ailments and I've told him regularly to goto the damn doctor. It has gotten to the point that it is severely affecting his reliability & skill.
Last week I told him to take some time off and get to the doctor. I've called him every day and asked what the doctors had to say and he's said "I haven't gone yet".
Today he informed me that he's feeling fine and ready to go. Thing is I've heard this before a dozen times.

I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. The man has given me 16 loyal years and i consider him a friend but the judgment & quality of his work has slipped dramatically. Not to mention almost every remodel has gone over the allotted time by 2 to 5 days in the last few months. While that may not sound like a lot it is a schedule busting nightmare and is costing me a fortune in lost income.

Does the dude have a drinking or drug problem?
It's pretty uncommon for a good employee to flip like that.

I don't envy you gramps. I've had to fire folks and it was always tough, but far worse when I had to write up or fire a friend. Or someone that became a friend while working with or for me. The advice you already got is sound, you don't need any more from me. You just gotta decide which advice is for you.

Good luck.

Suspend him until he gets a doctor's note about the problem. The note should state when his fitness is expected to return.
That is a given no matter what choice I make.
Here's the one I'm facing. My tool shed was left unlocked on purpose because one said another wanted in it later. The other person had their own key. My pressure washer was stolen. The one who left it unlocked is expecting his vacation check.
I'm going to withhold his check and take out the price of a new pressure washer and then fire him. I imagine it will go to court but I think I will win.

That's illegal DF. Save yourself a lot of trouble. Pay him his money and take him to court instead of him taking you.

Suspend him until he gets a doctor's note about the problem. The note should state when his fitness is expected to return.
Here's the one I'm facing. My tool shed was left unlocked on purpose because one said another wanted in it later. The other person had their own key. My pressure washer was stolen. The one who left it unlocked is expecting his vacation check.
I'm going to withhold his check and take out the price of a new pressure washer and then fire him. I imagine it will go to court but I think I will win.

That's illegal DF. Save yourself a lot of trouble. Pay him his money and take him to court instead of him taking you.
Already did it. You lose my shit you pay for it!

When I was very young at my second job, my boss withheld my check because I hadn't turned in a work shirt when I left. I had a lovely older friend that helped me sue and got my check and another big fat one for punitive damages.

When I was very young at my second job, my boss withheld my check because I hadn't turned in a work shirt when I left. I had a lovely older friend that helped me sue and got my check and another big fat one for punitive damages.
Well he still gets a check minus the pressure washer. It was gross negligence in this state.

Well he still gets a check minus the pressure washer. It was gross negligence in this state.

OK...just saying.

OK...just saying.
Given the amount it will be small claims here.

He could be malingering.

Or he might have been injured from the work he's doing for you for 15 years.

Or just getting old.

What sort of ailments is he complaining about?

Lots of good ideas here...I could never be a good businessman because I would hate firing anyone. It sounds like all the best solutions are going to be contingent on his seeing a doctor first.
Getting fired is not the end of the world. In fact, for many people it is a turning point in their lives leading to career changes, returning to school, or relocating.
56 years old is not the time to change careers.

Just meet him for beers. Told him the doctor visit was a must and even then returning to work in the same capacity was unlikely. Gave him another week to goto the doctor and said we could discuss the future AFTER that.
He wanted to skate by with a visit to one of those pop in clinics. Told him that wasn't sufficient and he needed an in depth examination.

I did learn that he has started smoking pot. Told me when he started and I told him when I think his decline started. I don' think he got it...
Anytime is a good time to start a new career if you are willing to get the training and experience you need for that career.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become a network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting firm doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.

Lots of good ideas here...I could never be a good businessman because I would hate firing anyone. It sounds like all the best solutions are going to be contingent on his seeing a doctor first.
Getting fired is not the end of the world. In fact, for many people it is a turning point in their lives leading to career changes, returning to school, or relocating.

Just meet him for beers. Told him the doctor visit was a must and even then returning to work in the same capacity was unlikely. Gave him another week to goto the doctor and said we could discuss the future AFTER that.
He wanted to skate by with a visit to one of those pop in clinics. Told him that wasn't sufficient and he needed an in depth examination.

I did learn that he has started smoking pot. Told me when he started and I told him when I think his decline started. I don' think he got it...
Anytime is a good time to start a new career if you are willing to get the training and experience you need for that career.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
You had ambition & health. He has neither.

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become a network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting firm doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
You are not bored being retired?

I sold my business and retired at 59. After a year of leisure, I decided this was not for me. I needed to work so I looked back at my career to see what I really enjoy doing. This is the key to success, doing what you like to do. As it turned out, it wasn't managing my business nor supervising people but technical work in computer network. So I took the certification courses I needed to become network manager. I work for two years for a small consulting doing network management and troubleshooting. The work was interesting but the hours were terrible and the pay wasn't that good so I went back to school at night and got two certifications to teach various networking classes. I partnered up with two instructors and started a small business in technology training. That lasted for over 5 years and I retired for good at 70. So no, you are never too old to change careers. You just have to be willing to make the sacrifices needed. IMHO, most people are not.
Yes, I did have the ambition but not the health. I managed to keep going because I really had a need to work. Today, I can't hold down a full time job but I volunteer two days and take care of my grand kids two days a week. It's not much fun but it sure as hell beats spending all day on bulletin boards like this one and watching TV.

Yes, I did have the ambition but not the health. I managed to keep going because I really had a need to work. Today, I can't hold down a full time job but I volunteer two days and take care of my grand kids two days a week. It's not much fun but it sure as hell beats spending all day on bulletin boards like this one and watching TV.
Grandkids aren't fun???

You must be high lol

Forum List

Back