I think I am going to send my kids to boarding school...

Have you considered sitting with your son and going over his homework with him? My mom did that with me when I was in school since I had learning disabilities, and I did the same with my cousin when she and her parents were staying with us. Do you know why he's blowing his homework off?
I tried that with my daughter. She was labeled as "learning disabled", too. I would go over her homework, it was always done, but she wouldn't turn it in. I finally pulled her from regular classes after sitting in on a few of them. She remained enrolled in JROTC but I did the rest with her for two years. She did loads better with home schooling and was still able to participate in other school activities.

I was in special education so my work was mostly dumbed down and I had an easier load than others. I loved reading and writing and was good with computers, but I struggled with math (and still do). I wanted to be home-schooled but my parents both worked so it wasn't possible.

Have you considered sitting with your son and going over his homework with him? My mom did that with me when I was in school since I had learning disabilities, and I did the same with my cousin when she and her parents were staying with us. Do you know why he's blowing his homework off?
I tried that with my daughter. She was labeled as "learning disabled", too. I would go over her homework, it was always done, but she wouldn't turn it in. I finally pulled her from regular classes after sitting in on a few of them. She remained enrolled in JROTC but I did the rest with her for two years. She did loads better with home schooling and was still able to participate in other school activities.

I was in special education so my work was mostly dumbed down and I had an easier load than others. I loved reading and writing and was good with computers, but I struggled with math (and still do). I wanted to be home-schooled but my parents both worked so it wasn't possible.
I was fortunate to have a work schedule that allowed home schooling. Too many parents are intimidated and don't think they are capable, but in AK, both the official support systems and community groups make home schooling a very viable way to insure your children receive a quality education.

I am happy to help with homework. Unfortunately, he lies about it and says he doesn't have any, when he does. He says he's finished it, when he hasn't.

He's very, very bright...they had him in the TAG program for a while, but he didn't like it because it was more classwork lolol.

He brought all his grades up this week, imagine what he could accomplish if he actually applied himself all the time...

I love my children. And I want them to get an education. Right now my so is totally blowing homework off, and he's in 7th grade. He can't do that next year.
Well either he is not good at homework or else you did not brainwash him enough that school is the most important thing in his young life.

Kids that are learning disabled just need to struggle through school and try and get their diplomas.

If they are physically fit then they can join the military.

USAF, USCG, USN, US Army, and USMC are the usually choices in that order of priority.

Otherwise they can go into retail work.

Getting through school is the main challenge.

I knew kids who struggled in high school but then did very well in the US Army.

I love my children. And I want them to get an education. Right now my so is totally blowing homework off, and he's in 7th grade. He can't do that next year.
Well either he is not good at homework or else you did not brainwash him enough that school is the most important thing in his young life.

I have no idea what point you think you're making there.

Good luck, KG. In the end, he'll be okay, but he sounds so much like mine was that I have no advice, only consolation.
It might be a really good idea to have a talk with him, though, about what you're thinking of doing and why. Not in a negative, punitive way but present it as an idea to help him get the best education. If he likes the idea, your problems are solved. If he doesn't like the idea, he might buckle down and do enough to shut y'all up, knowing what the consequences would be.
My Dad was the same way, he said. Very intelligent man and the teachers knew it, but he never did well or put any effort into exams or studies. He told me he wasn't interested and saw no reason to work harder than necessary to pass. As an adult he became a teacher and then an administrator, and those junior high kids couldn't put anything over on him--he'd done it all.

Kids that are learning disabled just need to struggle through school and try and get their diplomas.

USAF, USCG, USN, US Army, and USMC are the usually choices in that order of priority.

Unfortunately, lots of children labeled as "learning disabled" are not. But schools get extra funding to deal with their "learning disabled" population. So, more "learning disabled" students makes for a bigger pay day for the school district. As far as additional assistance, my daughter did not receive the help or attention that might have gotten her over her test anxiety. Once I got her started home schooling, her grades went up and her interest in learning new material expanded, too. Of course, I was able to cater the teaching method to her learning style and she was unable to cheat the homework and classwork.

Motivation -- a parent's responsibility is to motivate the child to become productive and try to fit into society.

When these are not accomplished it points to either (1) extraordinary mental deficiencies in the child or (2) neglect by the parent.

So which is it?

Are they deficient, or did you happen to neglect them?

At any rate, boarding school if you can afford it is better than parental neglect.

Trump himself was sent by his rich father to military boarding school.

It's because Trump was so disruptive.

What does your hubby think of this problem? Or his hubby absent?
No answer.

I am guessing that you had to raise them alone then.

That's too bad.

The Pope himself has stated that children deserve a father AND a mother.

This is partly why the RC Church does not allow divorce -- it really hurts the kids.

I sent my kids to boarding school, they turned out great!

101.jpg
you have to drill some holes in that so it works better

Well in another thread koshergrl was flinging ad hom's like she used to fling her butt sh!t when she was a kid.

So I simply wanted to re-direct her attention to her own personal problems so as to reinforce the classic kindergarten teaching that if you live in a glass house it is not wise to fling sh!t.

So to get back to the original question of the thread -- what about sending your kids to boarding school ??

Some notable people that were sent to boarding school includes Trump -- he was a very disruptive unruly youth so his dad sent him to a NYS military prep school for boarding.

Is it good for the kids?

If that's what they need then it is better than not.

If they are disrupting the rest of the family then it is better than not.

I cannot imagine sending ALL your kids to boarding schools however -- this sounds more like a parental issue not a kids issue.

Just guessing.

I do not have a Ph.D. in Psychology however -- I only took one class in college in it.

And I am not an M.D. Psychiatrist either -- Biology was never my forte so no way I could have ever gotten into med school.

I am familiar with your silly belief about brainwashing because you keep bringing it up. Clearly you have unresolved mommy / daddy issues. How do I know? Because you are being a dick. Everything is propaganda. What you just wrote is propaganda. The trick is to maintain objectivity to decipher the truth from the bullshit. So despite your silly belief that "[she] did not brainwash him enough that school is the most important thing in his young life," the reality is that learning successful behaviors at his age is important. Something you seemed to have failed to learn at an early age.

Do you really believe those are the only two options? Are you so stupid that you literally believe there could be no other reason? Give me a break.

Ok, that settles it. You really are that fucking stupid. I am a big fan of letting them suffer the consequences of their decisions. I am also a big fan of showing them the error of their way after they have. I am also a big fan of believing that people can accomplish tasks that they themselves don't believe they can. So for you to lay out this bullshit makes me wonder what your motivation really is.

I do. He is being a condescending ass.

Motivation -- a parent's responsibility is to motivate the child to become productive and try to fit into society.

When these are not accomplished it points to either (1) extraordinary mental deficiencies in the child or (2) neglect by the parent.

So which is it?

Are they deficient, or did you happen to neglect them?

At any rate, boarding school if you can afford it is better than parental neglect.

Trump himself was sent by his rich father to military boarding school.

It's because Trump was so disruptive.
Again... are you really this stupid to believe these are the only two possibilities? Really? Seriously?

What does your hubby think of this problem? Or his hubby absent?
No answer.

I am guessing that you had to raise them alone then.

That's too bad.

The Pope himself has stated that children deserve a father AND a mother.

This is partly why the RC Church does not allow divorce -- it really hurts the kids.
Do you feel better about yourself now? Please tell me what you have accomplished in life that makes you think you are so much better than others.

Forum List

Back