I owe obama a big kiss a*** apology.

And I remember you saying exactly the same thing about the unprecedented flooding in New Orleans and Pres Bush.
Oh, wait.

Not the same thing. The government has provisions to handle that sort of thing.

Seems to me that if they have collected $1.5 Billion in gas taxes that were to be set aside for this type of catastrophe, then they should have had provisions to handle THIS sort of thing.

I say if, because I have only heard rumors that the $1.5 Billion has been collected. I have not researched it.

Immie

Don't believe everything you hear, especially once it's been through the rightwing chipper/shredder.

Seems to me that if they have collected $1.5 Billion in gas taxes that were to be set aside for this type of catastrophe, then they should have had provisions to handle THIS sort of thing.

I say if, because I have only heard rumors that the $1.5 Billion has been collected. I have not researched it.

Immie

Don't believe everything you hear, especially once it's been through the rightwing chipper/shredder.

I believe there is a basis in truth out there, in fact, in just about every story presented by the media regardless of slant. How much truth is a matter of debate.

Immie

Gas taxes are for TRANSPORTATION....federal roads and highways, bridges and state gas tax is for state roads and highways, NOT for oil spill clean ups.

Though I do believe there is some sort of fund that is not from the gas tax for this, or there should be.

And I remember you saying exactly the same thing about the unprecedented flooding in New Orleans and Pres Bush.
Oh, wait.

Immie

It's called the The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund.

The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund

http://masglp.olemiss.edu/Advisory/OSLTF%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

Immie

It's called the The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund.

The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund

http://masglp.olemiss.edu/Advisory/OSLTF%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

The OSLTF receives funds from four primary sources: (1) an oil tax (five cents a barrel on domestically produced or imported oil collected from the oil industry; this is suspended when the fund reaches $1 billion but may be reinstated if the fund falls below this amount); (2) interest on fund principal; (3) cost recovery from responsible parties (The parties responsible for oil spills are liable for costs and damages. All monies recovered go either back to replenish the Fund or to the U.S. Treasury); and (4) penalties (to include civil penalties assessed to the responsible parties).

Thanks xsited1 and note to Care it is an oil tax not a gas tax. You were right, so whip me with a wet noodle, but nothing stronger please!

Immie

What has Owebama accomplished?

Just curious, what do you think could have been accomplished to date:

Do you think the leak could have been sealed? If so, how.

Do you think the oil could have been skimmed up and that we should all be wiping our brows and thanking the good Lord saying, "Wow, we dodged a bullet there!"

Like I said, I'm just curious, what could have been accomplished so far that has not been?

Immie

What could have been done?
Owebama could have had a committee working with gov't and industry representatives on ways to use Federal resources to mitigate the effects of the spill. Jindal has talked about things he requested that they dilly-dallied on.
He could have appeared to be mroe interested in fixing the problem than in looking presidential. He could have exhibited presidential leadership by embracing the expertise of the oil companies instead of like a basketball coach talking about "kicking ass." He could have not destroyed BP value by making an enemy of the company, and he could have not appeared a hypocrite by having taken large campaign contributions from them.

In all this has been an exercise in demonizing Big Business, which works great on the campaign trail but doesn't allow a president to get much done.

[LOL. What a wanker you are. They are the same thing. Worse, in Obama's case because it was a federal issue from Day One, unlike Katrina which was a city and state issue.

Really? Then why did Bush declare a FEDERAL state of emergency for Louisiana on August 27th, 2005?

Did Bush fuck up? Did he forget to consult you?

Bush declared a Federal emergency on the request of Gov Blanco that very day.
What point were you trying to make again?

Do you think the oil could have been skimmed up and that we should all be wiping our brows and thanking the good Lord saying, "Wow, we dodged a bullet there!"

Like I said, I'm just curious, what could have been accomplished so far that has not been?

Immie

Owebama could have had a committee working with gov't and industry representatives on ways to use Federal resources to mitigate the effects of the spill. Jindal has talked about things he requested that they dilly-dallied on.
He could have appeared to be mroe interested in fixing the problem than in looking presidential. He could have exhibited presidential leadership by embracing the expertise of the oil companies instead of like a basketball coach talking about "kicking ass." He could have not destroyed BP value by making an enemy of the company, and he could have not appeared a hypocrite by having taken large campaign contributions from them.

In all this has been an exercise in demonizing Big Business, which works great on the campaign trail but doesn't allow a president to get much done.

Okay, your answer is noted, although not necessarily agreed with.

What exactly would that have accomplished?

I pray the experts are working on this as we "speak" and have been since the accident happened regardless of Presidential politics.

What could the President have done that might have helped the situation itself?

Immie

Immie

I pray the experts are working on this as we "speak" and have been since the accident happened regardless of Presidential politics.

Immie

It could have mitigated the effects of the spill on the shoreline.
I've already laid out what the president should ahve done.

Immie

Okay, but none of those things you laid out would have helped the situation including the shoreline as far as I can tell.

Immie

Immie

Okay, but none of those things you laid out would have helped the situation including the shoreline as far as I can tell.

Immie

How can you tell?
Jindal has been vocal about what he requested and what the reaction was.

Immie

How can you tell?

I don't know... call it pessimism.

I live near the shores of Tampa Bay. I'm concerned about this disaster, yet I realize Tampa so far has been lucky.

To blame the President for this as if he were the one that caused the explosion himself is pointless if you ask me. The people that should be blamed are the ones that either allowed the by-passing of the valve that could have minimized the damage and the ones that did so.

You cannot convince me that those with the know how on how to take care of this issue are waiting for the President to give the go ahead to do so. When and if someone comes up with an idea, I'm certain those steps will be taken.

Again, I don't blame Bush for the Katrina problems and quite frankly, I don't think President Obama deserves to have this issue tossed in his lap either.

Immie

[LOL. What a wanker you are. They are the same thing. Worse, in Obama's case because it was a federal issue from Day One, unlike Katrina which was a city and state issue.

Really? Then why did Bush declare a FEDERAL state of emergency for Louisiana on August 27th, 2005?

My point? My point was that what you said:

unlike Katrina which was a city and state issue.

was idiocy.

Immie

You know all you second guessers, and hindsighters, and armchair quarterbacks should take a lesson from what Dwight Eisenhower once said:

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."

Speaking of Eisenhower, can anyone imagine what it would have been like if when Eisenhower was commander of the Allies in Europe, if for all that campaign, the entire media had decided to obsessively focus on everything he wasn't doing perfectly and blather on and on about it 24 hours a day?

Yes, think about it.

Immie

How can you tell?

I live near the shores of Tampa Bay. I'm concerned about this disaster, yet I realize Tampa so far has been lucky.

To blame the President for this as if he were the one that caused the explosion himself is pointless if you ask me. The people that should be blamed are the ones that either allowed the by-passing of the valve that could have minimized the damage and the ones that did so.

You cannot convince me that those with the know how on how to take care of this issue are waiting for the President to give the go ahead to do so. When and if someone comes up with an idea, I'm certain those steps will be taken.

Again, I don't blame Bush for the Katrina problems and quite frankly, I don't think President Obama deserves to have this issue tossed in his lap either.

Immie

No one is blaming Obama for the oil spill. That is a strawman put out by the Obamabots.
What we are blaming him for is something he can control, namely his own lame reaction to the whole thing.

My point? My point was that what you said:

unlike Katrina which was a city and state issue.

was idiocy.

And yet you proved it was a city and state issue until the governor requested a federal emergency declaration. Which Bush did immediately.
How many days was it before Obama declared a federal emergency? How many days before he reacted at all?

How can you tell?

Immie

No one is blaming Obama for the oil spill. That is a strawman put out by the Obamabots.
What we are blaming him for is something he can control, namely his own lame reaction to the whole thing.

Okay, point taken, his preening for the cameras is lame.

What I want to know is who is going to solve the problem that we face in the Gulf.

Blame somebody later, but for right now fix the frigging leak... please! :lol:

Immie

Immie

You do realize that there was a pre-approved plan to use fire booms, and multiple countries with the equipment, and experience to deal with this spill, and keep it away form our coasts, and that the plans were not implemented, and the help that was offered was refused, and most of it is still being refused. To sit around and claim that, after 2 months, that Obama is handling this well is a symptom of derangement.

I was reading about all these options the first week after the spill, and Obama did not get to the Gulf for a month, and then claimed that was faster than the pundits that are criticizing him. Not the pundits I was reading.

Immie

I am sure the experts are working on it, but the politics still takes precedence.

Katz Fired From Oil-Spill Team Due to ‘Controversial Writings’ - BusinessWeek

Not sure what getting the experts together earlier would have accomplished, other than putting us about a month ahead in having a panel of experts working on it. If they are going to come up with the solution at all, it would be nice to have it faster.

Immie

You do realize that there was a pre-approved plan to use fire booms, and multiple countries with the equipment, and experience to deal with this spill, and keep it away form our coasts, and that the plans were not implemented, and the help that was offered was refused, and most of it is still being refused. To sit around and claim that, after 2 months, that Obama is handling this well is a symptom of derangement.

I was reading about all these options the first week after the spill, and Obama did not get to the Gulf for a month, and then claimed that was faster than the pundits that are criticizing him. Not the pundits I was reading.

I realize those are accusations. I do not yet agree that there are facts to back the accusations up.

That is not to say that you are not reading your sources correctly, but rather that I (being a skeptic) am not ready to take the word of those sources.

Immie

Forum List

Back