I never want to hear any child say this

I personally would love to see the whole system come crashing down the way to have recovery without jobs is for people to create communities and life styles that are not dependent on jobs..we need a revolutionary change that will only come from the old system crashing

I am as real as it gets..an economic crash would be a almost seamless transition for me

Focus on the bolded...what the hell sort of "community" are you proposing??

I am as real as it gets..an economic crash would be a almost seamless transition for me

self sustaining resources based...grab a shovel..join the garden party...we could feed the world off our suburbs front lawns alone

Ok, chief...you have fun with that.:thup:

usa-z-amish-country.jpg

self sustaining resources based...grab a shovel..join the garden party...we could feed the world off our suburbs front lawns alone

Ok, chief...you have fun with that.:thup:

usa-z-amish-country.jpg

yes ..the Amish have the right Idea however I see nothing wrong with using using clean and safe technology to improve quality of life

a job is where you have no real vested interest in the enterprise but a pay check

Oh please, are you some sort of fucking Pollyanna?? A job, and doing something worthwhile and fulfilling, are not mutually exclusive...pity for you if you've not had that experience.

oh I have experienced most everything and while a job can be fulfilling on some levels it still leaves you vulnerable and dependent as people are increasingly starting to realize

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4grZ_Lw5s]America's Broken Dreams - Documentary - The new American poor: The Middle Class - YouTube[/ame]

a job is where you have no real vested interest in the enterprise but a pay check

Oh please, are you some sort of fucking Pollyanna?? A job, and doing something worthwhile and fulfilling, are not mutually exclusive...pity for you if you've not had that experience.

oh I have experienced most everything and while a job can be fulfilling on some levels it still leaves you vulnerable and dependent as people are increasingly starting to realize

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV4grZ_Lw5s]America's Broken Dreams - Documentary - The new American poor: The Middle Class - YouTube[/ame]

Um, yeah, even if I wasn't heading to bed, not watching 44 minutes of anything.:D Now you keep that utopian dream alive.;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxhm0g0AwU0&list=TL2iWRIrqpOik]Econo-Me: Tom Shadyac at the Social Innovation Summit 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Um, yeah, even if I wasn't heading to bed, not watching 44 minutes of anything.:D Now you keep that utopian dream alive.;)

I am living my Utopian dream personally ..I just feel for those living like the people in this film when they do not need to because they are stuck in the employee mentality ..they are like domesticated animals, they need a master to survive

Last edited:
I am living my Utopian dream personally ..I just feel for those living like the people in this film when they do not need to because they are stuck in the employee mentality ..they are like domesticated animals, they need a master to survive

Do you pay taxes?

We're the greatest country in the world. This shouldn't happen in this country.

You know who the most likely people to come to their aid are? Not the government. But churches. Community centers. Neighbors. We need to encourage that.

What would happen in most countries is that family would come to their aid, which is happening according to at least one person on the video. And that is the way it should be. In other countries, families help each other and support each other without question, as a natural thing. As well, the government will come to their aid, as will churches and community centers, food banks, etc. I realize this is not a good thing and that the US, being a first world country, should expect better, but this situation is in no way as bad as the 1930's Depression and is in no way like real poverty in poor countries. Americans are still fortunate people, better off than most of the people on the planet, especially if families can stick together and support each other like they do in other countries. As well, this will pass, as did the Great Depression.

I don't think we're doomed.

If I could tell my story of ups and downs...life is/can be cyclical while we are on the topside of the third planet from the sun.

It's entirely possible the sponsor of the film wants us to feel/think we're doomed.

Some people are lucky, some aren't. I give out lunches every week at the church and it's not what you think it is. There are chronic unemployed people out there. Heck, my son got a 2 year degree from DeVry with a 4.0 and still can't get a job. My niece graduated from the UW is a degree in Environmental Sciences and ended up still working at Bartell's. They sent her to pharmacology school and she's got a job in that now. More and more of the people we see at the church coming from those free lunches are older, college educated people who can't find jobs. Many of them take whatever part time or temp jobs they can get, but it's not enough. Not by a long shot. We are in the 2nd great depression though no one wants to admit it. When you are talking to a woman with a doctorate while she is getting a free lunch from you, something is desperately wrong.

just wondering.... what kind of job was she expecting with an environmental science degree?

what we see at the food banks are also the scamers.... there are many levels of scamers, from the ones who can afford everything but what the hell its free... to the ones who take from the food bank and sell it on the street 5 minutes later.

And, that's exactly why thinking that churches and volunteer food banks can handle it all, because they don't have the resources to figure out who really needs it and who doesn't.

I can't imagine anyone being so confident that nothing like what these families are experiencing will ever happen to them that they can literally turn their backs on them.

Yes, there are scammers, but I think they are the minority, most of the people that seek help really need it, and what hurts the most is that there are children involved.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Anyone who wants to can make enough to feed their kids.

The problem is that some people would rather whine than do something about their situation.

America's Broken Dreams - Documentary - The new American poor: The Middle Class - YouTube

So how are you going to keep living your Utopian dream when there won't be enough employees to pay for it?

I've always wondered why we pour water and chemicals on the land around our homes instead of using it to produce food. We even poison dandelions which produce very nutritional greens and pretty flowers.

The people in the video were losing their homes but how many people plant food instead of growing a lawn with the only purpose being to look better than your neighbors' lawns?

OTOH, I once read that the amount of O2 produced by our lawns more than makes up for the water we pour on them. I'm skeptical of that however.

Forum List

Back