I Love you American Folk's But...

Sorry, but the mods have already told you once that you are supposed to speak English on the board. If everyone is speaking different languages, then any moderation would be impossible. They rely on volunteers mostly and most of them are English speaking because United States Message Board is based in The United States, not because people from other countries cannot post here. They have to post in English or use Google translate, but you know what? We can clear this little disagreement up quite easily.

flacaltenn

Is English speaking only a rule or not?

come on Chris.. there is a such thing as the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. How is this really taking over the whole board if Dalia is discussing something just on this thread? The intent was to have a little fun and not take things over. besides... Google translate takes about 2 seconds. Now if Dalia had a past history of being a trouble maker then the context would be quite different

I'm not talking about Dalia. I'm talking about the posters who were saying they should be able to just speak any language they want to basically. Nope, you can't do that because it would make it difficult if not impossible to moderate, and if you allow ONE to do it, then all will want to.

awwww, why do i feel like the adult just entered the room ? :rolleyes:

Someone needs to be an adult. Cripes! We have a whole bunch of over the hill children around here! It's just ridiculous and absurd.

did you mean Cripes or ......." Crepes !"

(LOL... sorry couldn't help myself)

What I really think is probably inappropriate for the ears of you children. :D

Keep up what you're doing Dalia. We'r all behind you.

J'aime la façon dont tu publies

No. "We" are not. This is an English speaking board for a reason. If you want to speak other languages, join another board where they speak that language. It's really as simple as that, whether that offends you or someone else doesn't really matter in any way, shape, or form.

The point is well taken that theoretically it could become a problem, but then why would it not be ok to have a special thread just like many other special threads around here? maybe a thread dedicated to French phrases. It is a US message board and France has historically played a large part in US history.

Geez. Didn't you people grow up with any rules? Do you not know how to follow a simple and quite easy to follow rule? This is an English speaking board for a reason.
I feel like it's not that big of a deal. The person in question speaks almost exclusively English on this board, and if it was a legitimate problem, the staff would have responded already. If they don't care, she'd need to speak English anyway, to discuss/debate with the vast majority of the forum.

If it IS a big deal, the staff would respond whether you point it out or not.

I'm sure your concern is appreciated, though.

No. "We" are not. This is an English speaking board for a reason. If you want to speak other languages, join another board where they speak that language. It's really as simple as that, whether that offends you or someone else doesn't really matter in any way, shape, or form.

The point is well taken that theoretically it could become a problem, but then why would it not be ok to have a special thread just like many other special threads around here? maybe a thread dedicated to French phrases. It is a US message board and France has historically played a large part in US history.
Well there it is. This is that thread.

I didn't object to that. I'm just saying that by encouraging people to talk in any language they choose, that would create a big ball of confusion, especially for moderation.

Speak English on the regular forum. Create your own thread for speaking in other languages, and people who are interested and want to do that can go hang out and speak other languages until their hearts are content! Nobody mentioned such a thing earlier though. They were just saying that they should be able to perhaps speak in other languages whenever the mood strikes. That is just a terrible idea all around.

Moderators have to be able to read and understand the posts!

Now you're talking complete revolution of this board. Ya radical.

Sorry, but the mods have already told you once that you are supposed to speak English on the board. If everyone is speaking different languages, then any moderation would be impossible. They rely on volunteers mostly and most of them are English speaking because United States Message Board is based in The United States, not because people from other countries cannot post here. They have to post in English or use Google translate, but you know what? We can clear this little disagreement up quite easily.

flacaltenn

It is. Was officially added to the rules just awhile back. But it's been policy for a couple years. It was getting abused by native English speakers who wanted to flame.

In the case of NEW foreign members, we cut a bit of slack. Because we LIKE to host them if they are contributing content. But we work with them to decrease the occurrence of native language. For instance, I personally don't think that 2 Thais chatting on profiles in their language harms anything..

flacaltenn

It is. Was officially added to the rules just awhile back. But it's been policy for a couple years. It was getting abused by native English speakers who wanted to flame.

In the case of NEW foreign members, we cut a bit of slack. Because we LIKE to host them if they are contributing content. But we work with them to decrease the occurrence of native language. For instance, I personally don't think that 2 Thais chatting on profiles in their language harms anything..

Pogo

Ha ha. :D Who was right? WHO WAS RIGHT, POGO? Say it. Say, "I apologize. ChrisL was right all along." :113:

Like if I was to join a French speaking board and was speaking English. If you want to speak French, then join a board where that the is the language you speak. Otherwise . . . speaka da English.

Ah, go pahk da cah in Hahvahd Yahd. :meow:

Too bad. If we all were speaking different languages, communication would be difficult. If speaking another language is that important to you, I'm sure there are some forums out there where they are speaking other languages. This is United States Message Board where the vast majority of people speak or at least understand English. The rules make total sense.
I speak first with my heart but for some people that not enough.

As I said above Dalia, even tho moderators can't take the time to translate posts in 10 different languages, if you have made contacts on USMB that speak a more comfortable language, feel free to open a separate tab for chatting on your profile pages in French. Or in PM conversations..

flacaltenn

Pogo

Ha ha. :D Who was right? WHO WAS RIGHT, POGO? Say it. Say, "I apologize. ChrisL was right all along." :113:

Don't pull a muscle with the celebration. Pogo ALWAYS gets the last word.. :eusa_dance:

Speak English on the regular forum. Create your own thread for speaking in other languages, and people who are interested and want to do that can go hang out and speak other languages until their hearts are content! Nobody mentioned such a thing earlier though. They were just saying that they should be able to perhaps speak in other languages whenever the mood strikes. That is just a terrible idea all around.

that sounds fair enough to me Chris.

Okay, well I hope you have fun with all that. I will stick to English (which is what I know and understand - lol).

Geez. Didn't you people grow up with any rules?

The same rules the NEP's live with...

screen-shot-2017-01-23-at-8-28-02-am.jpg

I like French Fries...

Okay, well I hope you have fun with all that. I will stick to English (which is what I know and understand - lol).

Not that I was looking to learn French... but If Dalia is offering to teach me, I sure as hell am not going to say no!
I'm sure there is a French quarter somewhere around my neighborhood.

flacaltenn

There's at least one mod I know of who claims his wife is French. He likes to claim my translations are off, although he never says exactly how (yet he's never pounced on me with an 'English only' rule). Which is another issue-- some linked articles may be in French or some other non-English language and need a translation. It would be less than honest to present such without the original so that it could be verified by skeptics.

Then there's the music. I've posted more music videos than I could count that have Portuguese lyrics and I usually provide both the original and the translation. I figure it helps the listener to know what's going on in the music and maybe relate to it a bit better. So sue me.

You can't draw these hard and fast lines that you seem to think languages are. If I post, "c'est la vie" or "déjà vu" are you gonna claim not to understand it? How 'bout "Gesundheit"? Or "arrivederci"? Or "ciao"?

Far as I know I'm the only poster here who spells the name of Hawaìi with the okina. Am I bustée?

Last edited:

flacaltenn

come on Chris.. there is a such thing as the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. How is this really taking over the whole board if Dalia is discussing something just on this thread? The intent was to have a little fun and not take things over. besides... Google translate takes about 2 seconds. Now if Dalia had a past history of being a trouble maker then the context would be quite different

I'm not talking about Dalia. I'm talking about the posters who were saying they should be able to just speak any language they want to basically. Nope, you can't do that because it would make it difficult if not impossible to moderate, and if you allow ONE to do it, then all will want to.

Oh my GOD people would have to figure out a language they weren't familiar with
hair-fire.gif

Oh the humanity

I must say Chris, your Weltanschauung has a certain je ne sais quoi. Seems to be about Numero Uno. And furthermore, pizza.

Last edited:

flacaltenn

Pogo

What's that? You mean like you did here?

eagles-patriots-super-bowl-football-790ac8a5a5c9321a.jpg

Forum List

Back