I Like Guns

even though swimming pools are many multiple times more responsible for deaths than guns are.

Really?

Are you sure?

Or is this going to be yet another case when your beliefs are not backed up by actual facts?

In 2005, there were 3,582 fatal unintentional drownings in the United States, averaging ten deaths per day.

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts

In 2006, 10,100 people died of gun shot wounds in the United States.

even though swimming pools are many multiple times more responsible for deaths than guns are.

Really?

Are you sure?

Or is this going to be yet another case when your beliefs are not backed up by actual facts?

In 2005, there were 3,582 fatal unintentional drownings in the United States, averaging ten deaths per day.

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts

In 2006, 10,100 people died of gun shot wounds in the United States.

Wow, comparing apples to oranges again. Amazingly you keep finding they don't have much in common.
How many fatal unintentional shootings were there in 2005?

So "swamped" implies a high rate of guns coming in from the U.S. This has been shown to be false.

Has it really?

So how do you explain this, which I posted earlier? Is it false?

Last year, 2,455 weapons traces requested by Mexico showed that guns had been purchased in the United States, according to the ATF. Texas, Arizona and California accounted for 1,805 of those traced weapons.

Guns from U.S. equip drug cartels - Los Angeles Times

In AZ more CHILDREN die in swimming pools than by guns. That argument is simply a deflection, and those that make that argument are pushing for more regulation on both. Kids are not supposed to have unsupervised access to either, so that argument is a failure on several levels. Those that make that argument are arguing against freedom and for more regulation.
Calling for more regulation to save the children has been a common theme among those that want bigger government and more laws. This only serves to allow people to shirk responsibility for their own actions and those of the children they are supposed to support and protect.

No, its a statment of relative risk. People scream abiout how guns are killing children. It isn't true. Not any more than swimming pools are killing children. The solution is not to regulate either one.
In fact accidental shootings have declined every year for the last 50 years in this country. And this is in the absence of any regulation.

Students at Virgina Tech are threatened by guns I have at my house? .

No, that was not what you asked. What you asked was:

Please, tell me. Who are "threatened by guns"?? WHo are these people?

No mention of your house there, is there?

I sense you are starting to flail around a bit here, but please try and respond to what I posted - not what you imagine I posted!

Laws do not protect people from getting shot. Shooting people is and has been very illegal for a long time. People that shoot other people are already breaking laws so how is passing more going to protect people from those that are already breaking the law?

Missourian -

Who claimed 90% of guns come from the US?

I know I didn't.

And yet I've now seen three posts challenge the assertion.

Please stick to what I have posted - not to what you wish I'd posted!

You should have read the article you linked to.

Paragraph 3:
More than 90% of guns seized at the border or after raids and shootings in Mexico have been traced to the United States, according to the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Last year, 2,455 weapons traces requested by Mexico showed that guns had been purchased in the United States, according to the ATF. Texas, Arizona and California accounted for 1,805 of those traced weapons.

Students at Virgina Tech are threatened by guns I have at my house? .

No, that was not what you asked. What you asked was:

Please, tell me. Who are "threatened by guns"?? WHo are these people?

No mention of your house there, is there?

I sense you are starting to flail around a bit here, but please try and respond to what I posted - not what you imagine I posted!

So students are VA Tech are threatened by guns? WHose? The campus security? The local police? Those of the faculty and staff that they aren't allowed to bring in that might have stopped the shooter?
You are losing coherence here.

In the area where I live, there are a lot of gun owners. It is written into the Az state constitution that the state 'prefers the citizenry go about armed and those that don't are dependent on those that do for protection'.
Any attempt to take them from the people here will result in something akin to armed rebellion.
I can own firearms here that are banned in other states. The background check for AZ state residents takes less than 15 minutes. I can own handguns with registering them. I can own automatic and military armaments with a collectors permit. States have always been the ones that can and should regulate guns within their borders. If one doesn't like what their state says, they can move to another.
Imposing a federal law to attempt to control guns will fail here and likely cause much bloodshed.

So students are VA Tech are threatened by guns? WHose? The campus security? The local police? Those of the faculty and staff that they aren't allowed to bring in that might have stopped the shooter?
You are losing coherence here.

My post was perfectly coherent, Rabbi - please try reading the post before responding to it.

The students at Virgina Tech were threatened by a man who entered their school and shot them.

Thus, their civil rights were breached.

Not difficult stuff, this.

The solution is not to regulate either one.

Oh my Lord.

The solution to the numbers of children drowning in unfenced or unpatrolled swimming pools is to remove those regulations.

That really is deranged.

I assume you also oppose speed limits, traffic lights and seat belts?

There are already laws against child endangerment. Has been for a long time. Passing more laws isn't about protecting children, we already have those laws. Before we pass more laws it would make sense to have the ability and the will to enforce the ones we have.
Passing more is is simply a way to remove freedom and responsibility from the people.
Yep, wreckless driving laws cover speeding, traffic lights arent laws, but traffic control and are also covered under the term wreckless driving. Seat belts make sense but removing that as a choice is impossing on my freedoms and creating a stronger government.

Laws do not protect people from getting shot. Shooting people is and has been very illegal for a long time. People that shoot other people are already breaking laws so how is passing more going to protect people from those that are already breaking the law?

Actually they do.

Countries which have low levels of gun ownership, also enjoy low levels of gun violence.

Countries which have high levels of fun ownership, endure high levels of gun violence.

Missouri -

I did read the article. But please try and respond only to what I actually post. I deliberately did not post the 90% figure, because I don't believe it is accurate. What is accurate, is the claim that several thousand weapons have been bought in the US and shipped to Mexico.

The solution is not to regulate either one.

Oh my Lord.

The solution to the numbers of children drowning in unfenced or unpatrolled swimming pools is to remove those regulations.

That really is deranged.

I assume you also oppose speed limits, traffic lights and seat belts?

We have speed limits, traffic lights, and seat belts. Yet every year, more people are killed in automobile related accidents than are killed by guns. Should we now ban automobiles?

Forum List

Back