Wanna talk guns? OK.

Grumpyolman

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2018
San Diego
I have some WWII guns. I like them and shoot them because they're like holding a piece of history. Sometimes, I wish they could talk. What a story they could tell. Not all good stories, either. Especially the Mosin, a 1942 Tula Armory version. Stalingrad?
They both shoot well. The Arisaka Type 38 is a tack driver, the Mosin's barrel is a little degraded, but still could easily hit a 10 inch target at 200 yards.

image.jpg
image.jpg

The Type 38 Arisakas in 6.5mm are far more accurate then the 7.7mm Type 99 models. I had one a couple years ago that I worked up some handloads for. That thing was a tack driver. Quite a few of them were brought back by GI's in WW2 and many were rechambered for 257 Roberts., which the popular caliber in the 50's.

The Mosin-Nagants are nice too. I used to have an M38 carbine. It had the best sight picture I've seen on a WW2 battle rifle, and 7.62x54 is not a caliber to be sneezed at. It's still used in just about every light machine gun and sniper rifle the former Soviet Union supplied the Middle East.

I have some WWII guns. I like them and shoot them because they're like holding a piece of history. Sometimes, I wish they could talk. What a story they could tell. Not all good stories, either. Especially the Mosin, a 1942 Tula Armory version. Stalingrad?
They both shoot well. The Arisaka Type 38 is a tack driver, the Mosin's barrel is a little degraded, but still could easily hit a 10 inch target at 200 yards.

image.jpg
image.jpg
that Mosin kicks like a mule ! and they have skyrocketed in value !

Other than the carbine models I never really warmed to the Type 38.....I love me some Type 99s, I think I have six of them now.

I'm down to four Mosins, a M91 Dragoon, M91/30 Finn Capture, M44 Vietnam bringback, and the jewel, a M91/30 PU sniper that came out of Yugoslavia.

Never have owned a Type 38. I have a nice vet bringback Type 99, and I have a 91/30 standard, and a 91/30 sniper that is a Vietnam bringback. That one too has papers.

Forum List

Back