“I hate that thug music.”

Because it couldn't possibly be anything other than race that determined their decision.....

Would be nice if the left would just stop talking about race. Some white thugs play this shit too and my opinion is no different.

I would be nicer if race wasn't an issue. If a white guy didn't automatically assume a carload of black teenagers was armed, or dangerous. If a kids like Trayvon Martin could go out for skittles without the local vigilante thinking he was up to no good.

If this had been a carload of white kids, do you think that Dunn would haven opened fire on them for playing rap music?

Does any of us know Dunn well enough to determine that? Is there evidence that race played any part in his decision? I haven't paid close enough attention to the case to know, but you seem to be implying that he acted at least in part because they were black teens. Is there any reason other than general assumptions for you to think that?

Would be nice if the left would just stop talking about race. Some white thugs play this shit too and my opinion is no different.

I would be nicer if race wasn't an issue. If a white guy didn't automatically assume a carload of black teenagers was armed, or dangerous. If a kids like Trayvon Martin could go out for skittles without the local vigilante thinking he was up to no good.

If this had been a carload of white kids, do you think that Dunn would haven opened fire on them for playing rap music?

Does any of us know Dunn well enough to determine that? Is there evidence that race played any part in his decision? I haven't paid close enough attention to the case to know, but you seem to be implying that he acted at least in part because they were black teens. Is there any reason other than general assumptions for you to think that?

He has expressed racist attitudes in the past. His neighbor didnt like the guy because he constantly used the N word. Pretty sure it was because of race.

Based on the trial, no.

Based on the trial, no.

Based on this yes. Especially the part around 16:00 - 19:20 are particularly chilling.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=itwx2Vb6aNI]Michael Dunn's Neighbor Speaks Out (Jordan Davis) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
It is quite confusing that he could be found guilty of attempted murder, - if Jordan had survived, it would have been attempted murder, right? So how can this be true for three of the kids, but the one who died is not a murder victim.

I don't get it.

It is quite confusing that he could be found guilty of attempted murder, - if Jordan had survived, it would have been attempted murder, right? So how can this be true for three of the kids, but the one who died is not a murder victim.

I don't get it.

Unfortunately there were 2-3 raging racists that held out. It defies belief and logic that this could have happened when considering the guilty verdict on the other counts. That is the only scenario that makes any sense. Someone or some jurors were just not willing to fully punish the guy because they agreed with what he did in their hearts.

I don't get it.

Unfortunately there were 2-3 raging racists that held out. It defies belief and logic that this could have happened when considering the guilty verdict on the other counts. That is the only scenario that makes any sense. Someone or some jurors were just not willing to fully punish the guy because they agreed with what he did in their hearts.

Why is that the only thing that makes sense? Why do you insist that anyone who doesn't assume the guy is guilty of whatever degree of murder they were charging him with is basing their opinion on race?

I don't see why it isn't possible for someone to think that a single person in a car of 4 might have acted in a threatening manner, or perhaps that there was a deadlock about what degree of murder was committed. Maybe someone simply saw reasonable doubt based on a lack of evidence.

Sure, it's possible racism may have played a part in the decision, but assuming it did seems to say more about your focus on race than it does about the possible motives of the jurors IMO.

Here are the parents response.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DPyMhhC68bs]Jordan Davis Parents GMA. Lucia Mcbath Ronald Davis Good Morning America Interview - YouTube[/ame]

Referring to rap as "thug music" pretty much nails his racism.

Why? If you only refer to something like gangsta rap, that sounds pretty 'thuggish' regardless of the race.

The guy may be a raging bigot, I just didn't realize the term thug music automatically held racial connotations.

You forget about Richard Sherman? Thug is the new N-word.

Sherman is known for being a trash talker. I thought the controversy about calling him a thug was blown out of proportion, although I also didn't pay all that much attention to it.

Maybe I just see general idiocy before bigotry.

Why? If you only refer to something like gangsta rap, that sounds pretty 'thuggish' regardless of the race.

The guy may be a raging bigot, I just didn't realize the term thug music automatically held racial connotations.

You forget about Richard Sherman? Thug is the new N-word.

Sherman is known for being a trash talker. I thought the controversy about calling him a thug was blown out of proportion, although I also didn't pay all that much attention to it.

Maybe I just see general idiocy before bigotry.

It was blown out of proportion. First the response to his interview at the end of the game where he was called a thug. Then when he correctly attributed some people using thug to call him the n word it really got bad.

Calling rap music "thug music" is racist. Some rap music is social commentary, some is humorous, some relates to relationships. Not all rap has violent themes. To assume it does is racist.

I don't get it.

Why is that the only thing that makes sense? Why do you insist that anyone who doesn't assume the guy is guilty of whatever degree of murder they were charging him with is basing their opinion on race?

I don't see why it isn't possible for someone to think that a single person in a car of 4 might have acted in a threatening manner, or perhaps that there was a deadlock about what degree of murder was committed. Maybe someone simply saw reasonable doubt based on a lack of evidence.

Sure, it's possible racism may have played a part in the decision, but assuming it did seems to say more about your focus on race than it does about the possible motives of the jurors IMO.

The reason that is the only thing that makes sense is this. How can you be in fear of your life with only one person in the car? The mind does not work like that. The clown kept plugging away indiscriminately at the car. He either took everyone in that car to be a threat or no one at all. Are you saying he was in fear while shooting directly at Jordan but then he suddenly became unafraid and attempted to murder the other kids? That scenario simply does not make sense.

The reason that is the only thing that makes sense is this. How can you be in fear of your life with only one person in the car? The mind does not work like that. The clown kept plugging away indiscriminately at the car. He either took everyone in that car to be a threat or no one at all. Are you saying he was in fear while shooting directly at Jordan but then he suddenly became unafraid and attempted to murder the other kids? That scenario simply does not make sense.
lets keep this simple.. dunn wanted to shoot some black people and did.
why?

I can easily see someone being threatened by only one person in a car that's full. To use an extreme example, what if there is one adult and some kids? Or what if it's one large man and some small women? One bodybuilder and the rest are people with physical disabilities?

Now, none of that is the case so far as I can tell, and I'm not claiming that he WAS only threatened by one passenger in the car. But from a legal standpoint, self-defense may require certain standards which one person in the car fulfilled while the others did not. That is really the point I am making.

I don't know if there's any question about the supposed shotgun. All I've seen about it is really what's been put in this thread other than occasional glances at articles online. And again, the guy may well be a raging racist/bigot, and the jurors who couldn't agree on the murder charge may be the same. I just think that making an assumption about the rationale of a juror in a trial you are not a part of is never something that can be done with certainty. The reasoning could have been anything from racism, to stupidity, to evidence we are unaware of, to some particularly convincing argument we aren't privy to, to some technical aspect of the law.

“I hate that thug music.”

Those were the last words Rhonda Rouer heard her fiance, Michael David Dunn, say before he fired 10 shots at a car containing four black teenagers at a Southside Gate gas station. One of those teenagers, 17-year-old Jordan Davis, was killed.

On Saturday afternoon Rouer, crying and shaking uncontrollably, was compelled to testify against the man she intends to marry and told jurors what happened before and after Davis was killed on Black Friday in November 2012.

Her anguish appeared to unsettle the courtroom. Dunn, 47, and his family sitting in the front row fought back tears, and members of the Davis family looked at the ground as she hyperventilated and tried to keep her hands from shaking. Acting Circuit Judge Russell Healey took the unusual step of bringing Rouer into court before the jury was in the room in an effort to calm her down before she was called to the stand.

When she finished testifying, Rouer whispered, “I’m so sorry” as she got off the stand. It was unclear if she was speaking to a bailiff, Dunn, the Davis family or someone else.

Something wrong with this thread, and THAT trial. Rap Music promotes a violent lifestyle that glorifies intimidation and guns. And the volume, the sheer loud penetrating violation of both human dignity , basic human respect and noise ordinances. How many black kids shoot each other, how many rap “artists” have been murdered all without a peep. But when a white guy is angered by the sheer raging hate of rap, and the VOLUME AT WHICH IT IS PLAYED…over reacts, there is something wrong with him…? Perhaps. Let’s ban loud stereos. They are a health issue, and a civil rights issue. People do have a right to privacy, ( think E. Snowden) . Loud music is used to “coerce’ people, think Manuel Noriega to Al-Qaeda suspects. The culprit here is the loud stereo manufactures, the stores that install the “base” amplifiers. They should be treated like the cigarette industry , curtailed and eventually shut down as a nuisance or public health menace. This thread is one example of WHY.

Forum List

Back