i feel defenseless....

Was there a question? You posted this in the firearms section, if you are asking for advice I would get at least a .38 revolver or 9mm semi-auto and a good way to tote it around.
Personally, if the area is that frightening to live in I'd move!
Can you tell us where these areas are that are free of home invasions. I have yet to see one. Only a fool goes through life unprepared

hubby is down for a few weeks still.....anyone watching the house by now has figured out that something is not right....i am doing the chores in the cold at 7 am...so i tell the hubby....i feel vulnerable with him flat on his back etc and so forth...his reply....."have you given up the .22 with hollow nose bullets"? no, its still loaded in the foyer....he follows up with "how many shotguns do you have loaded"? that set me back a minute..i had to think which ones are loaded and which ones are not......but there are only 2 loaded...

amazing what can happen when one marries a non gun person..and what is even more amazing is how people react to find out the female is the gun owner not the male....i still avoid the pistol and cc...but i did think when i was watching that video of the woman being cat called and the dude was walking with her for 5 minutes.....'o hell that doesnt happen in cc states'
load'em all

Was there a question? You posted this in the firearms section, if you are asking for advice I would get at least a .38 revolver or 9mm semi-auto and a good way to tote it around.
Can you tell us where these areas are that are free of home invasions. I have yet to see one. Only a fool goes through life unprepared

Nobody locks their doors or their cars around here... :dunno:

I've re-considered my initial reaction.
There's obviously a back story here that I'm not a party to so I don't want to criticise or mock SB.

Sure, shit happens wherever there are people but, nevertheless, I know of no place personally where ordinary citizens feel the need to be armed - and certainly not fret that they have enough loaded weapons sited in strategic positions about their own house!
I wouldn't want to live in such a place.
Should I also wear safety glasses, hard hat and boots whenever I go out just in case of falling branches or flying dust or whatever?

Same.

Same here unless we go out of town overnight it's rare that our doors are locked. Most often keys are in my vehicles

There's obviously a back story here that I'm not a party to so I don't want to criticise or mock SB.

Sure, shit happens wherever there are people but, nevertheless, I know of no place personally where ordinary citizens feel the need to be armed - and certainly not fret that they have enough loaded weapons sited in strategic positions about their own house!
Should I also wear safety glasses, hard hat and boots whenever I go out just in case of falling branches or flying dust or whatever?
Bold mine

Therein lies the issue for many of us its not a need it is a right or a desire to be prepared.

The crime rate in the county I live in is one of if not the lowest in the state, the small city nearest me is most likely the lowest crime rate in that county. However I am not foolish enough to think that shit can't happen no matter where you are or how safe you have always been.

I average 50K mile a year driving for business, have owned a vehicle and driven for 35 years. I can count the number of times I have had to rely on a spare tire on a few fingers. I keep my tires and vehicles in great shape yet I would not think of traveling without a spare and a jack

I have never had a fire in my home, shop or barn not even a threat of a fire, yet I would be a fool to go without a fire extinguisher in each of those locations.

Guns are a tool that are no different. If I look out and see a Coyote walking the pasture eying my livestock I want a firearm handy. When my wife is home alone I want her to be able to defend herself, although the chances are slim that she will need to. I would be a fool not to make sure she is prepared.

Bold mine

Therein lies the issue for many of us its not a need it is a right or a desire to be prepared.

The crime rate in the county I live in is one of if not the lowest in the state, the small city nearest me is most likely the lowest crime rate in that county. However I am not foolish enough to think that shit can't happen no matter where you are or how safe you have always been.

I average 50K mile a year driving for business, have owned a vehicle and driven for 35 years. I can count the number of times I have had to rely on a spare tire on a few fingers. I keep my tires and vehicles in great shape yet I would not think of traveling without a spare and a jack

I have never had a fire in my home, shop or barn not even a threat of a fire, yet I would be a fool to go without a fire extinguisher in each of those locations.

Guns are a tool that are no different. If I look out and see a Coyote walking the pasture eying my livestock I want a firearm handy. When my wife is home alone I want her to be able to defend herself, although the chances are slim that she will need to. I would be a fool not to make sure she is prepared.
Fair enough, that's your assessment of the risk and that's your choice.
Personally, I consider having a cache of loaded weapons around the house with children coming and going is a vastly greater risk than the risk of a home invasion.
But, that's taking into account my circumstances which are clearly different to yours.

Bold mine

Personally, I consider having a cache of loaded weapons around the house with children coming and going is a vastly greater risk than the risk of a home invasion.
But, that's taking into account my circumstances which are clearly different to yours.

And it this country that is your right. You are free to have or not have weapons. I don't look any different at those who choose not to own weapons, I feel that is their right. I understand your concern around children and when my boys were younger we took different precautions with firearms than we do now. I did however expose both boys to shooting and hunting at an early age. I taught them to respect weapons and drilled gun safety as a result neither boy was ever curious as to weapons and knew that even at a young age all they had to do was ask and dad would take them shooting.

My aunts and several of the women I knew who lived in rural areas used to pack 45s.

Meanwhile, this is what my daughter did this weekend:

Lillyw270_zpse08c4098.jpg
:facepalm: and you wonder why people chuckle when you say you are afraid of people online. Stop posting personal info about yourself all over the Internetz and that won't be an issue :thup:

BTW- you forget about what happened when that 10 yr old girl was handed a loaded gun at the range last month? I think YOU need parenting babble.

TMSHorsey0829_1409671821523_7696064_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

koshergrl

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My aunts and several of the women I knew who lived in rural areas used to pack 45s.

Meanwhile, this is what my daughter did this weekend:

Lillyw270_zpse08c4098.jpg
:facepalm: and you wonder why people chuckle when you say you are afraid of people online. Stop posting personal info about yourself on the Internetz and that won't be an issue babble :thup:

BTW- you forget about what happened when that 10 yr old girl was handed a loaded gun at the range last month? I think YOU need parenting babble.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
What happened to the child at the range was 100% the fault of the instructor at the range who obviously did not know what he was doing. I feel bad for his family as well as the child and hers, however the fault of that accident lies at the feet of the instructor.

i dont load them all cause several are collected guns that i do not have ammo for.....plus i am lazy.....they are secured in the fact that only myself and hubby know where they are....there are no kids in the house...when son was young i used trigger locks ....but now i just use the safety

the instructor at the range had no clue what he was doing the young lady should have been seated to fire with adults surrounding her...many instructor will actually hold the gun to secure it

Have you considered adding a sentry dog to your home defense system?
They make the best early warning system available. And they also can keep the threat occupied while you decide what action to take.

Have you considered adding a sentry dog to your home defense system?
They make the best early warning system available. And they also can keep the threat occupied while you decide what action to take.
If they're outside, they're lucky. If they've entered without permission or forced their way in, they're in a world of shit. Shoot first ask questions later.

i have a doberman and two rescues that are willing to die for the food goddess but i dont want my dogs hurt....i just go with what one of the young men told me.....aim to kill and fire a shot into the wall......i questioned firing a shot into my perfectly good walls..his reply......'warning shot'

i live in the country....help can be right at hand or 30 minutes away....i feel safe here but you never know when some random asshole is gonna decide to bring havoc to your house....

Do you own a fire extinguisher?

Mark

Bold mine

I was raised in a home with loaded weapons at ever door, in the closets, and hanging on the walls.

I was one of 4 children, latchkey children, no less, and the only one that was ever shot was my brother, after he was grown, when he was birdhunting with a buddy who (stupidly) shot across a gully when my brother was on the other side.

My two oldest boys likewise were raised in my home with loaded weapons..though when they reached adolescence, I purchased a gun safe and kept the key on my key chain just so I could exert control over what went where, when.

I don't have loaded guns in the house now, the children I have at this time are too impulsive. I have a loaded pit bull, instead.

011_zpsdd96f32b.jpg

015_zps680f0ce8.jpg

002_zpsa00c6314.jpg

Last edited:
:dunno:

Hmmm...what was your address again....I thought I would post it in the local prison...in the area where they out process the new felons....

:dunno:

Hmmm...what was your address again....I thought I would post it in the local prison...in the area where they out process the new felons....

That's about 50 miles away. Rotsa ruck.

If you have to go solicit from a prison in order to get your paranoia fantasy off the ground, then your position is bullshit.

Do you own a fire extinguisher?

Mark
Yep.
And I'm much more likely to have to use that than a gun.

Forum List

Back