I don't understand this Trump/Syria/missile thing

Is that your expert opinion? Quit talking about things you dont understand. They take a tremendously long time to pave.

They're not talking about replacing an entire runway. It was a military attack and the goal would be to patch the runway for use as quickly as possible. Not pass a FAA inspection.

"The Tomahawk, in service since the 1980s, is a long-range cruise missile, able to be launched from land, air, or sea from over 1,000 miles away. With its 1,000 pound explosive warhead, it’s effective at blowing things up like buildings (or in the case of the Tomahawk cluster bomb variant, people) from a far distance, without putting anyone from the attacking party in harm’s way.

But the problem with a runway—a vast, flat expanse of concrete—is that it’s pretty hard to render it inoperable for a long amount of time. Even if a Tomahawk directly impacted the runway, it would just make a big hole in the ground. And a hole in the ground is easily defeated by a few people with a bulldozer that can just fill it back up pretty quickly.

What you need to truly knock an airfield out of commission for a substantial amount of time is something like the French-made BLU-107 anti-runway penetration bomb, also known as the Matra Durandal. And the Durandal is very good at knocking a runway out, as GlobalSecurity.org explains:

Once the parachute-retarded low-level drop bomb attains a nose-down attitude, it fires a rocket booster that penetrates the runway surface, and a delayed explosion buckles a portion of the runway. It can penetrate up to 40 centimeters of concrete, creating a 200 square meter crater causing damage more difficult to repair than the crater of a general-purpose bomb.

It not only creates a crater in the runway, it also completely messes up the concrete slabs of a runway themselves, which creates a much more painstaking repair process."

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-firing-tomahawk-missiles-at-syria-was-a-nearly-usel-1794113103

This whole episode is one of the more totally confusing episodes in recent history.............why? First of all it made no sense for Syria or Russia to launch a chemical attack.

Much easier than your verbose lecture.

IF al-Assad was on the verge of winning, he would want to teach his people a lesson. Since he had used chemical weapons previously with no consequences, nothing but a sternly written letter from Michelle Obama. Barack was under the desk.

By launching an attack now, he was teaching his people that nothing had changed and that if they got out of line again, he could do this again.

LEAST of all, just as Osama bin Laden was shocked at the response of President Bush, Russia and al-Assad also had to be shocked at the response to say nothing of the fact that it didn't take months or years, but mere hours.

A more tantalizing question would be, was Russia complicit in the attack? Every new president is tested by our enemies to get a feel for how far they can go. Who was testing? Al-Assad or Vladimir Putin?

"No, the stockholding parasites shouldn't have the exclusive right to determine how much of a cut they are owed from what their employees produced."

I fail to see why you thought a Libertarian's mind exploded. It was you who refused to answer the question and deflected to another subject.

Don't Go Aynal on Me, Randy

Your cult makes you jump to conclusions and grab at any Gotcha you can yelp to defend your GreedHead gurus. You fanatics have no discipline, sense of responsibility, or deep perception at all. If you think you're on the Right-Wing politically correct side, merit doesn't matter.

Typical of laissez-faire laziness, one of your boys wrote a biography of the Libretardian pope, Paul I, and didn't even bother to find out Gerald Ford's running mate in 1976, carelessly assuming that it was the incumbent Vice-President, Nelson Rockefeller. Then he went on an embarrassing rant about how Rockefeller was a Liberal and that proved Ford was one, too.

The Right, selfish loudmouthed sissyboy flagwavers, wants to act tough with the lives of dispossessed Americans while their girlyman sons never have to serve.
Most right wingers are in the south, which is where MOST of our military personnel come from. The right has more sons than anyone in the military.
If They Let the Rich Sit Out the War, Rednecks Are Yellow

Then a Yankee like Romney should man up and send his sons to fight Assad. We should reimburse him for the deluxe designer body bags all the pampered Preppy pipsqueaks will come back in.
Do Romney's sons have a say in this, or are we just going to force them to join the military since their dad once ran for POTUS?
The Yellow Yell, and Hollow Fools Follow

Another slavish bootlicker who preaches that we should be proud to die taking a rich kid's place. The pro-war sons of pro-war politicians better fight or patriots must strip them of their rank. As for the Wonderful Willard himself, his way of bravely fighting the Communists was to peddle the Book of Mormon to the French.

The Right, selfish loudmouthed sissyboy flagwavers, wants to act tough with the lives of dispossessed Americans while their girlyman sons never have to serve.
Most right wingers are in the south, which is where MOST of our military personnel come from. The right has more sons than anyone in the military.
If They Let the Rich Sit Out the War, Rednecks Are Yellow

Then a Yankee like Romney should man up and send his sons to fight Assad. We should reimburse him for the deluxe designer body bags all the pampered Preppy pipsqueaks will come back in.
Do Romney's sons have a say in this, or are we just going to force them to join the military since their dad once ran for POTUS?
The Yellow Yell, and Hollow Fools Follow

Another slavish bootlicker who preaches that we should be proud to die taking a rich kid's place. The pro-war sons of pro-war politicians better fight or patriots must strip them of their rank. As for the Wonderful Willard himself, his way of bravely fighting the Communists was to peddle the Book of Mormon to the French.
In other words, you cant answer the question. I didnt think you could. Maybe next time youll think before you say something stupid like, "he should make his sons go to war".

I need the left to give me their side of the story and the right to give me their side of the story

What I do see is that there is enormous incentive for Assad’s enemies to stick a gas-carrot in front of America’s face so that the bills and body bags associated with removing a regional rival may all be sent west. And once our dead have done their work, what then? Assad is aligned against ISIS; a group that would never use gas owing to its unacceptably humane effects. They and/or al-nusra front would be his successors, not any laughably so-called moderates. So who are the ‘good guys’ in Syria? And how many dollars and dead should Americans invest in seating them? And what, besides gravesite bromides, will our people get back from the endeavor? The Dead Run Toward

:cuckoo: No Assad is not aligned with ISIS. His soldiers are liberating towns from ISIS.

Really? Did you tell that to Obama and the UN?
U.N. report: Assad again used chemical weapons, defying Obama
But what about us middle people? Assad gasses and bombs his own people. Is that tolerable? I Know, we are dealing with the devil when it comes to the middle eastern Muslims leaders, there is no WIN-WIN situation here.
DO you believe a liar like trump? Assad had no reason to commit political suicide by using chemicals on the rebels. This thing stinks and is a grim reminder of just how republicans lie to gain our sympathy in order to attack sovereign nations on trumped up allegations. Here we go with that WMD spin again...

But what about us middle people? Assad gasses and bombs his own people. Is that tolerable? I Know, we are dealing with the devil when it comes to the middle eastern Muslims leaders, there is no WIN-WIN situation here.
DO you believe a liar like trump? Assad had no reason to commit political suicide by using chemicals on the rebels. This thing stinks and is a grim reminder of just how republicans lie to gain our sympathy in order to attack sovereign nations on trumped up allegations. Here we go with that WMD spin again...

That doesn't mean he used chemical weapons this time. BTW wasn't it the Russians who took responsibility for insuring that Assad got rid of his chemical weapons?
Why would Assad embarrass his ally by using chemical weapons knowing that Putin would appear to be incompetent or complicit. Hmmm Did any one see Tom Cruise and his IMF team in the area?

P

It is true that Trump is a liar but it is also True that Assad is a murderous dictator. Trump says he is attacking the Syrians because beautiful Muslim children were killed by gas. He also says he is defending the United States and its allies. This contradicts Trump who lectured Obama not to attack Syria. Also, Trump has to date shown no concern for Syrian refugee children and their families. Maybe yesterday he saw children dying on Fox News and he was upset enough to believe that he should do something. This time when he says, "You're fired!", Tomahawk missiles land on a Syrian military base. It must be wondered, does he know what he is doing?

/----- I know this is a tough concept for libtards but often ones perspectives change once elected president. Trump targeted Assad's Saran gas depot that Obozo promised were eliminated years ago.

zLXWy88.png

Ok. Fine. The main thing is will it interfere with my satellite TV

/---- is it necessary to pay my Amex bill?

I need the left to give me their side of the story and the right to give me their side of the story

What I do see is that there is enormous incentive for Assad’s enemies to stick a gas-carrot in front of America’s face so that the bills and body bags associated with removing a regional rival may all be sent west. And once our dead have done their work, what then? Assad is aligned against ISIS; a group that would never use gas owing to its unacceptably humane effects. They and/or al-nusra front would be his successors, not any laughably so-called moderates. So who are the ‘good guys’ in Syria? And how many dollars and dead should Americans invest in seating them? And what, besides gravesite bromides, will our people get back from the endeavor? The Dead Run Toward

:cuckoo: No Assad is not aligned with ISIS. His soldiers are liberating towns from ISIS.

No one said ASSAD was aligned with ISIS , but it opened the door for ISIS to attack right after the strike and that is exactly what happened.

You speak out of both sides of your mouth.
And who made the deal? That's right the O administration did. They were responsible for seeing they followed through. No one else. When you make a deal with the devil, one must know the devil lies.

That doesn't mean he used chemical weapons this time. BTW wasn't it the Russians who took responsibility for insuring that Assad got rid of his chemical weapons?
Why would Assad embarrass his ally by using chemical weapons knowing that Putin would appear to be incompetent or complicit. Hmmm Did any one see Tom Cruise and his IMF team in the area?

P

It is true that Trump is a liar but it is also True that Assad is a murderous dictator. Trump says he is attacking the Syrians because beautiful Muslim children were killed by gas. He also says he is defending the United States and its allies. This contradicts Trump who lectured Obama not to attack Syria. Also, Trump has to date shown no concern for Syrian refugee children and their families. Maybe yesterday he saw children dying on Fox News and he was upset enough to believe that he should do something. This time when he says, "You're fired!", Tomahawk missiles land on a Syrian military base. It must be wondered, does he know what he is doing?

/----- I know this is a tough concept for libtards but often ones perspectives change once elected president. Trump targeted Assad's Saran gas depot that Obozo promised were eliminated years ago.
So your perspective is about as sensible as Trump's before he was sort of elected because you are not the president. Got it.

P
Assad only uses chemical weapons if a democrat is president of the US. He NEVER uses them though if a Republican is in office.

There doesn't seem to be clear evidence available on the 'net of what real damage was done. Where can it be found? Otherwise, it seems like very expensive effort for little result.

Damage to Syria was lite.

Message to Syria and N.Korea was strong however.

This came just in time for the N.Korean problem.

P
Insuring = insurance

Ensuring = this is the right word.

Forum List

Back