Twitter sues US gov't over anti-Trump account

hmmm I might say Twitter was in the right here, but I think when the user is trying to play off that they are that government agency they hose themselves.

hmmm I might say Twitter was in the right here, but I think when the user is trying to play off that they are that government agency they hose themselves.
Agreed on Twitter. Not sure what you mean about "play off that they are that government agency" since it's "ALT". Unless they are actually impersonating that agency (impersonating an officer is a crime) then they retain their rights as citizens.

I'm admittedly no expert, I pay lawyers to interpret the morass of legal shit for me, however, fraudulent impersonation. And I'd presume especially when of a government department.

As I understand the DHS Border Patrol, aka the division being fraudulently portrayed, requested the information. While Twitter can, and did, decline to provide the information under the defense of "client privileged", as I understand though there is legal basis for the government to request the information, and perhaps even get a judicial order to force disclosure of said information.

See cite from legal sites:

Under federal law, pretending to be "an officer or employee acting under the authority of the United States" in order to demand or obtain "any money, paper, document, or thing of value" can result in a fine as well as imprisonment for up to three years (18 U.S.C.A. § 912). Like state false impersonation statutes, the federal law also seeks to protect interests such as the dignity and prestige of individuals, especially those who hold federal office. Federal statutes also prohibit other types of impersonation, including pretending to be a U.S. citizen; pretending to be a U.S. officer or employee attempting to arrest or search a person or search a building; pretending to be a creditor of the United States or a foreign official; and pretending to be an agent or member of 4-H or of the Red Cross.

Forum List

Back