I dont know about this Ventura-Kyle feud

Was Ventura wrong to have pursued the Defamation Lawsuit?

• Yes, you dont sue widoes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No, he had every right to protect his reputation and career

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • the lawsuit was not wrong just stupid

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • dunno and dunna care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
When I first read about Kyle's accusations, I just thought that they were over the top. Why would a media personality like Ventura slam on Navy SEALS whose reputation in part Ventura based his own media persona on? That is like cutting off your own feet; didn't make sense. Then to say that Ventura would say something as heinously evil as 'some of them deserved to die' at the WAKE of a fellow Navy SEAL is just preposterous.

Well the jury agreed with Ventura and decided that Kyle lied, but what are the damages and who should pay them? Though Ventura publicly stated that he would drop the lawsuit if Kyle would just retract his statements about him and apologize, Kyle refused. This was causing and is still causing Ventura damage to his reputation and career, so what was Kyle's reason for continuing the bullshit? His story totally fell apart in court and the jury gave a unanimous verdict; NO ONE believed Kyle after hearing both sides.

But when Kyle died, the lawsuit continued against Kyle's estate, which is normally what is done. I don't know how Tara could have repaired the damage her husband did to Ventura's rep and career, but I think settling out of court would have been the smart thing to do. But for some bizarre reason, SHE KEPT THE SUIT GOING REFUSING TO SETTLE.

Now she lost $1.8 million, which will come out of her husbands book sales money, and we are all supposed to feel sorry for her? Why didn't she settle out of court?

Here is a full article that takes Ventura's side of the story; we still do that in this great country, don't we? Try to get BOTH sides to a story before engaging in slander and verbal attacks?
Justice for Jesse: Ventura Was Right in His Lawsuit | National Review Online

Some interesting quotes form the article:
CNN’s Anderson Cooper got in on the outrage game, tweeting: “I cannot believe that Jesse Ventura successfully sued the widow of a fallen Navy SEAL. Has he no shame?”

Whoa, there. Ventura sued Kyle in 2012. Kyle died, tragically, about a year later. The lawsuit then shifted to Chris Kyle’s estate, for which his wife, Taya, is the executor. It is utterly normal for a lawsuit to shift onto the estate, especially when the estate has profited from the issue in dispute. Considering Taya herself has profited from the book (earnings are estimated at a whopping $6 million, thanks to royalties and rights), it stands to reason that the shift is appropriate.

Consider this: A decorated veteran publishes a book saying he fought with someone in a bar after hearing the man say he worshiped the devil and/or thinks child molesters are fine. During the book tour, the author is asked to identify the monster and names you. It makes headlines, helping propel the book’s sales. You file a defamation suit and, roughly a year later, the author/veteran unexpectedly dies. His multimillion dollar estate goes to his wife, an estate largely consisting of profits from the book that defamed you. Do you drop the suit?

Of course not.

Ms. Kyle is a multimillionaire. With the $500,000 defamation portion of the award covered by libel insurance, only $1.3 million will come out of the Kyle estate (and that’s assuming the judge even upholds that portion of the award). In light of the reported $6 million profits, not to mention potential profits from future book royalties (once the movie releases in 2015, the book is sure to rocket in sales again), and Kyle’s no doubt robust life-insurance policies, to claimthat this is cruel or a hardship on a destitute widow is ill informed and disingenuous.

Ventura noted on CBS This Morning Wednesday: “Taya Kyle had all of her attorney fees paid by insurance. I did not. I incurred two and a half years of lawyer fees that I have to pay to clear my name, and she had insurance paying everything for her. It was me against an insurance company.” Ventura added that he will use the winnings to pay off his attorneys’ fees.

MYTH: Even if Kyle lied about Ventura, his book sales weren’t significantly increased by that story, so Kyle did not profit from the defamation.

Wrong! In fact, the book made national headlines largely — and probably only — because of the salacious story about Ventura. Don’t believe me? No worries — take Kyle’s publicist’s word for it. At the time, the publicist remarked that the story was making the book’s sales “go crazy.”

Apart from the logical flaw in inferring that only Ventura’s witnesses would lie for him and not Kyle’s, consider the testimony of Bill and Charlene DeWitt, two witnesses who were at the bar the night of the “fight”:

Bill DeWitt has known Ventura since the two underwent Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training together in 1969. . . . The DeWitts, Ventura and other BUD/S classmates . . . convened at McP’s bar the night before the ceremony – the same night Kyle and his colleagues were at the bar for the wake of slain SEAL Michael Monsoor. . . . ”I was eavesdropping on Jesse,” [Charlene DeWitt] said. She heard him criticize the war in Iraq but didn’t hear him badmouth fallen soldiers or argue with younger servicemen. She said she didn’t see him get into a fistfight or sport a black eye or bruised face in the following days. . . . Bill DeWitt also testified that he hadn’t seen or heard any of the events described in the book.

Ventura may have been considered nutty and a crackpot by some (personally, I don’t appreciate his 9/11 theories and strongly disagree with them), but he was not a hated figure. After Kyle’s story got national attention, Ventura was not only despised by many Americans but even hated by his own fellow veterans:

A petition circulated in 2013 seeking to have Ventura removed from the Underwater Demolition Team-SEAL Association, citing the events described in Kyle’s book and Ventura’s pursuit of the lawsuit after Kyle’s death. Dozens of military personnel signed it.

So the whole story would seem to be that Kyle lied about Ventura to dive up sales of his book and he made about$7 million off Ventura's reputation, which was ruined. Kyle dies and his widow, Tara, who could have settled out of court refuses to do so and eventually loses a long legal battle. The court is so outraged by the scope and flagrance of the lies told about Ventura that it not only gives him $500,000 in damages but adds another 1.3 million for “unjust enrichment” (meaning that Kyle and his estate wrongly profited from said defamation).

Ventura should have gotten EVERY PENNY that the book sales earned, PLUS all his attorney's fees, PLUS punitive damages. Honestly...libel should be a criminal offense.

Ventura should have gotten EVERY PENNY that the book sales earned, PLUS all his attorney's fees, PLUS punitive damages. Honestly...libel should be a criminal offense.

How about killing the widow and all her relatives...
Would that begin to satisfy your lust for revenge....

Why do you give a fuck about Jesse Ventura anyway?

I would love it if the widow has the right to appeal the verdict and spends most of what
she has coming in sales and such so that Ventura has to wait years and years before he sees dime one.

Ventura worried about damage to career?
What career?
Reputation?.....

Pa leez!

When I first read about Kyle's accusations, I just thought that they were over the top. Why would a media personality like Ventura slam on Navy SEALS whose reputation in part Ventura based his own media persona on? That is like cutting off your own feet; didn't make sense. Then to say that Ventura would say something as heinously evil as 'some of them deserved to die' at the WAKE of a fellow Navy SEAL is just preposterous.

Well the jury agreed with Ventura and decided that Kyle lied, but what are the damages and who should pay them? Though Ventura publicly stated that he would drop the lawsuit if Kyle would just retract his statements about him and apologize, Kyle refused. This was causing and is still causing Ventura damage to his reputation and career, so what was Kyle's reason for continuing the bullshit? His story totally fell apart in court and the jury gave a unanimous verdict; NO ONE believed Kyle after hearing both sides.

But when Kyle died, the lawsuit continued against Kyle's estate, which is normally what is done. I don't know how Tara could have repaired the damage her husband did to Ventura's rep and career, but I think settling out of court would have been the smart thing to do. But for some bizarre reason, SHE KEPT THE SUIT GOING REFUSING TO SETTLE.

Now she lost $1.8 million, which will come out of her husbands book sales money, and we are all supposed to feel sorry for her? Why didn't she settle out of court?

Here is a full article that takes Ventura's side of the story; we still do that in this great country, don't we? Try to get BOTH sides to a story before engaging in slander and verbal attacks?

CNN’s Anderson Cooper got in on the outrage game, tweeting: “I cannot believe that Jesse Ventura successfully sued the widow of a fallen Navy SEAL. Has he no shame?”

Whoa, there. Ventura sued Kyle in 2012. Kyle died, tragically, about a year later. The lawsuit then shifted to Chris Kyle’s estate, for which his wife, Taya, is the executor. It is utterly normal for a lawsuit to shift onto the estate, especially when the estate has profited from the issue in dispute. Considering Taya herself has profited from the book (earnings are estimated at a whopping $6 million, thanks to royalties and rights), it stands to reason that the shift is appropriate.

Consider this: A decorated veteran publishes a book saying he fought with someone in a bar after hearing the man say he worshiped the devil and/or thinks child molesters are fine. During the book tour, the author is asked to identify the monster and names you. It makes headlines, helping propel the book’s sales. You file a defamation suit and, roughly a year later, the author/veteran unexpectedly dies. His multimillion dollar estate goes to his wife, an estate largely consisting of profits from the book that defamed you. Do you drop the suit?

Of course not.

Ms. Kyle is a multimillionaire. With the $500,000 defamation portion of the award covered by libel insurance, only $1.3 million will come out of the Kyle estate (and that’s assuming the judge even upholds that portion of the award). In light of the reported $6 million profits, not to mention potential profits from future book royalties (once the movie releases in 2015, the book is sure to rocket in sales again), and Kyle’s no doubt robust life-insurance policies, to claimthat this is cruel or a hardship on a destitute widow is ill informed and disingenuous.

Ventura noted on CBS This Morning Wednesday: “Taya Kyle had all of her attorney fees paid by insurance. I did not. I incurred two and a half years of lawyer fees that I have to pay to clear my name, and she had insurance paying everything for her. It was me against an insurance company.” Ventura added that he will use the winnings to pay off his attorneys’ fees.

Apart from the logical flaw in inferring that only Ventura’s witnesses would lie for him and not Kyle’s, consider the testimony of Bill and Charlene DeWitt, two witnesses who were at the bar the night of the “fight”:

Bill DeWitt has known Ventura since the two underwent Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training together in 1969. . . . The DeWitts, Ventura and other BUD/S classmates . . . convened at McP’s bar the night before the ceremony – the same night Kyle and his colleagues were at the bar for the wake of slain SEAL Michael Monsoor. . . . ”I was eavesdropping on Jesse,” [Charlene DeWitt] said. She heard him criticize the war in Iraq but didn’t hear him badmouth fallen soldiers or argue with younger servicemen. She said she didn’t see him get into a fistfight or sport a black eye or bruised face in the following days. . . . Bill DeWitt also testified that he hadn’t seen or heard any of the events described in the book.

Ventura may have been considered nutty and a crackpot by some (personally, I don’t appreciate his 9/11 theories and strongly disagree with them), but he was not a hated figure. After Kyle’s story got national attention, Ventura was not only despised by many Americans but even hated by his own fellow veterans:

A petition circulated in 2013 seeking to have Ventura removed from the Underwater Demolition Team-SEAL Association, citing the events described in Kyle’s book and Ventura’s pursuit of the lawsuit after Kyle’s death. Dozens of military personnel signed it.

So the whole story would seem to be that Kyle lied about Ventura to dive up sales of his book and he made about$7 million off Ventura's reputation, which was ruined. Kyle dies and his widow, Tara, who could have settled out of court refuses to do so and eventually loses a long legal battle. The court is so outraged by the scope and flagrance of the lies told about Ventura that it not only gives him $500,000 in damages but adds another 1.3 million for “unjust enrichment” (meaning that Kyle and his estate wrongly profited from said defamation).

How is Ventura's reputation ruined? Not to many people think that highly of him to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

I would love it if the widow has the right to appeal the verdict and spends most of what
she has coming in sales and such so that Ventura has to wait years and years before he sees dime one.

Ventura worried about damage to career?
What career?
Reputation?.....

Pa leez!

So you support the right of people to make money by blatantly slandering other people?

I am not a Ventura fan, but Kyle slandered the guy and had more than ample opportunity to set the record straight and did not, and the same goes for his widow.

People who profit by slandering other people should lose every dime they made, and it should go to the victim of the slander.

Tara still has three times the wealth Ventura got out of it. She isn't starving in the cold and rain because some heartless monster robbed her in court.

She and her husband robbed Ventura of his reputation, whatever you think that rep was worth is immaterial. The jury gave it $500k which isn't that much for a media celebrity anyway.

Of course not.

How is Ventura's reputation ruined? Not to many people think that highly of him to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Which is why he only got $500k for damage to his rep.

The biggest slice was his from the book sales. He only got $1.3 out of $nearly $7 million; I think he should have been given all of it due to the fact that this isn't even a close call and people should not be encouraged to make millions off of slander.

I give a fuck about ass holes making money by making up lies about people and getting away with it.

You don't have a problem with that?

I give a fuck about ass holes making money by making up lies about people and getting away with it.

Last time I checked 11 witnesses backed up the story that Ventura was knocked down...The witnesses saw parts of the incident.Some saw Ventura down,some saw the punch.No one seemed to see the event from start to finish.

“It was confusing that no one could see all the events,” the juror said. “It was hard to see that no one saw everything.” Someone saw him punched, some saw him on the ground, but didn’t see him punched, and others saw him getting up he said.

Sounds like Ventura got punched and went down...
Ventura said nothing of the sort happened...

So unless there are 20 camera crews recording everyone and everything there can't be proof that Kyle was telling the truth....

Who's account is more accurate?
11 witnesses who saw part of what happened or
Ventura saying nothing happened.

Juror describes how jury reached split decision in Jesse Ventura defamation trial | Star Tribune

Last edited:
It is my understanding the he didnt win based on it being proven a lie. There were 11 fucking witnesses that saw it happen, though some did have conflicting stories, though that is typical when you have multiple witnesses. Jesse really won the lawsuit because they decided he was defamed by Kyle. There is a difference.

Last edited:
I don't have any respect for a punk ass little SEAL bitch rotting in hell where he belongs after making bank bragging about all the people he's killed. Usually, veterans who say that shit are either psycho, or they never served in combat. Karma can be a bitch!

Good job Jesse!

If I read the article correctly it was not libel.

Last time I checked 11 witnesses backed up the story that Ventura was knocked down...The witnesses saw parts of the incident.Some saw Ventura down,some saw the punch.No one seemed to see the event from start to finish.

“It was confusing that no one could see all the events,” the juror said. “It was hard to see that no one saw everything.” Someone saw him punched, some saw him on the ground, but didn’t see him punched, and others saw him getting up he said.

Sounds like Ventura got punched and went down...
Ventura said nothing of the sort happened...

So unless there are 20 camera crews recording everyone and everything there can't be proof that Kyle was telling the truth....

Who's account is more accurate?
11 witnesses who saw part of what happened or
Ventura saying nothing happened.

Juror describes how jury reached split decision in Jesse Ventura defamation trial | Star Tribune

You really think Jesse got punched at a bar and nobody heard about it till this book? Sorry but it would have made the news if something happened.

How many of these witnesses were intoxicated?

From what I heard Jesse had proof he wasn't even there yet when some of these witnesses claim to have seen him.

How about pictures taken shortly after this imaginary incident showing Jesse had no bruises or wounds of any kind?

Sorry but Jesse won and Kyle lied.

I don't have any respect for a punk ass little SEAL bitch rotting in hell where he belongs after making bank bragging about all the people he's killed. Usually, veterans who say that shit are either psycho, or they never served in combat. Karma can be a bitch!

Good job Jesse!

Listen to the interview, THEN tell us if he was bragging. I think you made a snap judgement without enough real evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ventura got dropped on his HEAD way too many times during his "wrestling" days.

Ventura got knocked on his ass by a Navy Seal, so instead of being the "tough guy" that he pretends to be and knocking Kyle on HIS ass, Ventura runs off and hires an attorney.

Ventura is nothing but a bald-headed half-wit bitch who can't find a legitimate occupation.

Remember, Ventura believes that 9/11 was an "inside job", that the U.S. government is building internment camps to "protect" U.S. citizens during civil unrest, and that all of the alien stuff is the real deal, among other things.

Congratulations, Jesse. Now you can go out and buy yourself a new tin foil hat.

Has nothing to do with Jesse Ventura. It has everything to do with honesty and integrity and not allowing people to make money off of others by damaging their reputation with lies.

Honestly, this should have nothing to do with Kyle being a decorated vet, or him being ex-military then fatally killed, or the person suing him.

The only thing that should matter is did it happen or not. Not that we might hate one or the other, person or whatever or even if the man died and the suit continued. It might sound harsh, but it seems the only fair way to look at the situation.

It is my understanding the he didnt win based on it being proven a lie. There were 11 fucking witnesses that saw it happen, though some did have conflicting stories, though that is typical when you have multiple witnesses. Jesse really won the lawsuit because they decided he was defamed by Kyle. There is a difference.

Slander is not merely defamation but defamation with lies, so yes, I think it does assert that Kyle lied.

Ventura got dropped on his HEAD way too many times during his "wrestling" days.

Ventura got knocked on his ass by a Navy Seal, so instead of being the "tough guy" that he pretends to be and knocking Kyle on HIS ass, Ventura runs off and hires an attorney.

Ventura is nothing but a bald-headed half-wit bitch who can't find a legitimate occupation.

Remember, Ventura believes that 9/11 was an "inside job", that the U.S. government is building internment camps to "protect" U.S. citizens during civil unrest, and that all of the alien stuff is the real deal, among other things.

Congratulations, Jesse. Now you can go out and buy yourself a new tin foil hat.

I don't think I have ever seen a post more filled with irrelevance, character assassination and unwarranted assertion.

YOU were not there, so you don't know anything.

All we do know is that the jury found Kyle's accusations to be fallacious and awarded Ventura nearly $2 million for it all..

Forum List

Back