I dont give a shit!

Nope. It is a stupid comparison. This ain't slavery. It's RW whining, as usual, with ANY Obama plan.

Slavery is unethical however it was a law
Segregation is unethical, however it was the law
Just becasue something is a law doesn't make it ethical.

You cannot compare the immorality of slavery with student loans. It is not analogous.
The point, moron, is that just because something is legal does not make it ethical, as you said.

Last edited:
Pay attention yourself. OWS is a varied grassroots movement, stop stereotyping.

No shit!

2255060232.jpg

:lol:

You're such an idiot.
But, you're a moron.

Last edited:

And for everyone else not falling into special interest groups?

If prestige college was free for the mainstream non special interest group, regular student, .... we would not have the whiners now would we?

the one who is WHINING is YOU.

LOL...

Really? So you see me with a sigh complaining about loans i signed for?

Do you see me whining about wanting something for free. Do see me whining about loans i signed for on an education that i wanted.

Saying i don't give a flying fuck rats ass about them and their debt is not whining about anything.

Its a flat out statement, I don't give a shit. I am not looking to get anything out of it.

You started a whole thread to bitch and moan about college kids bitching and moaning. I'm bitching and moaning about YOU bitching and moaning.

Last edited:

LOL...

Do you see me whining about wanting something for free. Do see me whining about loans i signed for on an education that i wanted.

Saying i don't give a flying fuck rats ass about them and their debt is not whining about anything.

Its a flat out statement, I don't give a shit. I am not looking to get anything out of it.

You started a whole thread to bitch and moan about college kids.
Liar.

LOL...

You started a whole thread to bitch and moan about college kids bitching and moaning. I'm bitching and moaning about YOU bitching and moaning.

i'm pretty sure she started the thread to troll. which has been really entertaining.

LOL...

i'm pretty sure she started the thread to troll. which has been really entertaining.

Really? My thread. You don't need to respond.

LOL...

Thank you for admiring that they are bitching and moaning.

Read the op carefully... i agree it sucks paying your bills. It sucks paying your loans.

It sucks having personal responsibility for getting what you want and ask for.

There is no bitching or moaning on my part. I flat say i don't give a shit about them bitching and moaning. If you don't like my statement in the op that asked no questions or opinions of anyone..... don't participate. What you are taking for bitching and moaning is responding to anyone in the thread. That is not bitching and moaning about anything.

Last edited:
You can spend your entire pay check on food, shelter and clothing..... no matter how much you make. Its all about the choices.

LMAO.

No you can't. As much as you want to go into histrionics about this issue, the IRS determines what is "discretionary income".

You don't get to turn five meals a weak at Red Lobster into "Discretionary Income".

A valient attempt on your part, though.

Damn, it's been a good night. The Cards win the Series and I get to come her and catch the comedy show from the chuckleheads.

So the way I understand it, for some time now beginning with I believe Bush 41, there has been a dual student loan program in which there was the option of getting the loan direct from the government or through a financial institution with the loans through the financial institutions being the most popular. Last year however, Congress and the President took the student loan program away from the financial institutions altogether and it is now all administered by the Dept. of Education and distrbuted directly by the universities. That allows the government to set the interest rates, terms, and, of course, to forgive whatever loans they wish.

In addition there are several other sources of aid, the most common for low income people being the Pell grants which I believe are a maximum of $5500? a year. Not sure of that exact number but that is close. They're pretty easy to get though. Even a student from a wealthy family can qualify if the parents don't claim the student as a dependet and the emancipated student applies by virtue of his own low income only. And for a student living at home, that would pay most of the costs of an education at the local state university.

The bottom line is, a sharp student can usually find ways to get a lot of his/her education paid for, most especially if he does choose a lower cost state university to attend rather than Ivy League or other upscale mega costly schools. Those who snagged good merit or sports scholarships can have pretty much a free ride.

The way it is going, however, more and more of the cost for most students is being shifted to the taxpayer. And given the disparity in the amounts borrowed and the differences in costs between one school and another, capping the amount a student will need to pay and forgiving the loans that the taxpayer is on the hook for just doesn't seem to me like something the government should do, and I can't see how it does anything but encourage irresponsibility.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that those that are whining/trolling about "you need to deal with the loan choices you made" are all upset when those same students get to cash in on the forgiveness options that they also agreed to on taking those loans. Pick and choose much?

I find it interesting that those that are whining/trolling about "you need to deal with the loan choices you made" are all upset when those same students get to cash in on the forgiveness options that they also agreed to on taking those loans. Pick and choose much?

I find it humerous that they think that anyone that's stretched a loan out over 20 years is "WINNING!".

If I do that, the government is going to make out like a bandit.

I find it humerous that they think that anyone that's stretched a loan out over 20 years is "WINNING!".

If I do that, the government is going to make out like a bandit.

That would be true IF you are paying the prevailing interest rate and IF you are paying the amount necessary to retire the loan in 20 years.

But if the loan will be forgiven, and you are required to only pay a fixed maximum amount every year, and you've run up college debts equivalent to the cost of a nice house or a couple of Rolls Royces, it doesn't really matter how much interest will be accrued does it? Because at the end of 10 or 20 years, all will be forgiven and written off. The repayment has nothing to do with the amount of the total loan as the payment is equalized for everybody.

And it is THAT which leaves the potential for a lot of abuse. Especially if widely used, it actually creates another expensive entitlement program. But our Fearless Leader is not concerned about that. He will be out of office long before the repercussions and obvious negative effects hit.

I disagree about the potential for abuse. Federal grants are not a "take as much as you want" pot. Education programs add up a total cost of education and living in a given year, then subtract what they perceive the student and family can contribute, as well as any scholarships or other grants. Whatever number is left over represents the amount the student has no way of paying for, and that is the amount that is offered. Even that has a specific cap, before students are generally forced into taking out private loans, which are horrible and fall outside the realm of this discussion.

All of your conclusions about Rolls Royces and the subsequent fallout are not quite accurate. Similarly, loans must be paid for 20 years to be forgiven. That means two decades of payments. At 7-10% interest. You do the math, but I guarantee you the principle and tons of interest are already paid by time things are "forgiven."

The average salary for a person with a bachelor's degree is about $52,000 per year right now. If a student runs up a $200,000 college loan debt, the interest rate won't matter one whit as, under the President's mandate, will be required to pay back only about half of that over the next 20 years and, if he puts in that 10 years of targeted public service, he will pay back probably less than 1/4 of his debt.

Compare that to the student who works hard to merit a scholarship, whose parents saved to help with his college education, who lives at home, works full time, and goes to night school to complete a degree to avoid running up a lot of debt.

How is it fair for the taxpayer to subsidize the first student and not the second?

That would be true IF you are paying the prevailing interest rate and IF you are paying the amount necessary to retire the loan in 20 years.

What do you mean "prevailing interest rate"? Interest rate for what? The average interest rate on a student loan is 6-7%. That doesn't change. In my situation, I will be paying the amount necessary to retire the loan in 20 years. About three times over.

But if the loan will be forgiven, and you are required to only pay a fixed maximum amount every year, and you've run up college debts equivalent to the cost of a nice house or a couple of Rolls Royces, it doesn't really matter how much interest will be accrued does it? Because at the end of 10 or 20 years, all will be forgiven and written off. The repayment has nothing to do with the amount of the total loan as the payment is equalized for everybody.

And the borrower still doesn't come out ahead. In this fantastical scenario, the best I could see anybody do is illustrate an absurd scenario where someone worked a job for $25K a year (putting them below the poverty line) for 20 years while having a miximal amount of debt ($212,000). To make the math work in your favor, you have to create an extreme situation. If someone chooses to work for $25K a year career with a college degree, that is their perrogative. They have fallen way off the curve as to what most people anticipate earning out of college. In this instance, it's more akin to the "slaughter rule".

For most people, there is heavy economic pressure to pay off your debt as quickly as possible. No one is going to intentionally take a shitty job to avoid their college debt. Or if they do, they are stupid. Most people don't go to college to live below the poverty line. Would you work a job at the lowest end of the pay scale with no possibility of a raise for 20 years? Hell no. Outside of extreme cases ("I felt the call and decided to be a missionary for my entire life. Material possessions mean nothing to me."), NO American (college degree or not) is going to enter into a screw job like that.

I am sure there will be outliers, but there are with any program. Overall, the program is good and the intent (to keep college grads afloat while they are at the low end of the pay scale until they can pay back the loan in full.

And it is THAT which leaves the potential for a lot of abuse. Especially if widely used, it actually creates another expensive entitlement program. But our Fearless Leader is not concerned about that. He will be out of office long before the repercussions and obvious negative effects hit.

Just as Bush will be long gone before we feel the repercussions of the massive debt he amassed on his stupid little wars.

At any rate, it's not going to be "widely used". Step back and think about this logically. People go to college to get ahead. No one goes to college to try and figure out a way to screw the government out of their loans. People obtain a degree to try and pursue a career where they can provide for a family or live a comfortable life. Eventually they will take on more debt if they buy a house or start a business, etc. As people move up in their careers, they earn more money and are obligated to make larger payments. You guys are acting like the whole point of college is to skate around your debt. That's just silly.

Forum List

Back