"I Don't Feel Safe"--Why Do We Take This Seriously?

So somebody went up to the Starbucks barista in Tempe, AZ when some cops were in the store drinking coffee, said, "I don't feel safe"....and on that thin evidence, the barista asked them to leave.

The Tempe Officers Association wrote on Twitter that the six officers "stopped by the Starbucks at Scottsdale Road and McKellips for coffee" before their shift on July 4. The police officers said they ordered drinks and were told by a barista that a customer "did not feel safe" with their presence in the store. They said they were told to "move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave."

Tempe, Arizona police officers say they were asked to leave Starbucks

Since when is "I don't feel safe" code for "And you must do something about this"? Because that's what it has become. FOR. ADULTS.

I teach young children--elementary. When they come to us with "I don't feel safe", we give them reasons that their feelings are not evidenced by fact. That tiny spider won't really hurt you. Thunder is only a sound. Etc. In cases where circumstances really ARE scary, we don't sugar coat. "Fires are not safe. That's why we need to practice getting out of the building."

We are not always expected to change their circumstances. Because, hello--this is not how life works. We do not cancel the fire drill because "they don't feel safe". We don't NOT read the book about the storm because "they don't feel safe".

That's horrible teaching. It doesn't grow them. It hobbles them.

In the situation above, the barista should have looked at the adult and said, "Then leave. You are free to leave."

I understand how we got into the situation we're in. But it's shameful, and we should stop responding to "I don't feel safe". What are your thoughts?
The courts are the only place where voters do not have a say so this is where the left is governing from and bogus claims of "I don't feel safe" is one of the many vehicles they use to get what they want out of those courts.

Forum List

Back