"I Don't Feel Safe"--Why Do We Take This Seriously?

SweetSue92

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2018
USA
So somebody went up to the Starbucks barista in Tempe, AZ when some cops were in the store drinking coffee, said, "I don't feel safe"....and on that thin evidence, the barista asked them to leave.

The Tempe Officers Association wrote on Twitter that the six officers "stopped by the Starbucks at Scottsdale Road and McKellips for coffee" before their shift on July 4. The police officers said they ordered drinks and were told by a barista that a customer "did not feel safe" with their presence in the store. They said they were told to "move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave."

Tempe, Arizona police officers say they were asked to leave Starbucks

Since when is "I don't feel safe" code for "And you must do something about this"? Because that's what it has become. FOR. ADULTS.

I teach young children--elementary. When they come to us with "I don't feel safe", we give them reasons that their feelings are not evidenced by fact. That tiny spider won't really hurt you. Thunder is only a sound. Etc. In cases where circumstances really ARE scary, we don't sugar coat. "Fires are not safe. That's why we need to practice getting out of the building."

We are not always expected to change their circumstances. Because, hello--this is not how life works. We do not cancel the fire drill because "they don't feel safe". We don't NOT read the book about the storm because "they don't feel safe".

That's horrible teaching. It doesn't grow them. It hobbles them.

In the situation above, the barista should have looked at the adult and said, "Then leave. You are free to leave."

I understand how we got into the situation we're in. But it's shameful, and we should stop responding to "I don't feel safe". What are your thoughts?

I have never read anything so tragically stupid in my life. I'm glad the corporation was able to set that straight.

What are your thoughts?

a tiny spider can kill you

thunder producing lightning can as well

safety is about trust.....trust is about verification......knowledge is key

~S~
images (24).jpeg

I am pretty sure the dumb bitch is in jail now

Well....I don't know about jail. If they jailed people for rank stupidity...heaven help us. However I really hope the corporation had a nice long talk with her about why you might kick someone out of your store...and why you might not

What are your thoughts?

a tiny spider can kill you

thunder producing lightning can as well

safety is about trust.....trust is about verification......knowledge is key

~S~

1. The spiders around here are not going to kill you

2. Not inside a building where we are in a school it's not

3. That is what I just said: countering fear with facts.

4. This overreaction is just why our nation is in the place we're in now: SAFE SPACES everywhere

The president of the company is flying down to AZ to address the matter personally.

I am pretty sure the dumb bitch is in jail now

Well....I don't know about jail. If they jailed people for rank stupidity...heaven help us. However I really hope the corporation had a nice long talk with her about why you might kick someone out of your store...and why you might not

If you know cops like I do they just put a target on their back .

Street justice always wins..

The president of the company is flying down to AZ to address the matter personally.

Well that's good to hear, and the right thing to do. But I'm also interested in the cultural stew that got us here....where adults think saying to other adults "I don't feel safe, please ask them to leave" seems legitimate.

I mean we are how many years past Jim Crowe and we're putting Jim Crowe on different groups. I mean no gay people were asked simply TO LEAVE Christian bakeries because they were gay, but the cops can just leave the Starbucks because cops and that's okay.....

For enders, every sound justification can begin with "I FEEL" or "I don't FEEL"

Yeah well that sucks, but that's not facts or evidence, either. It's just feelings. Go cry out in your car for a while or whatever.

Well that's good to hear, and the right thing to do. But I'm also interested in the cultural stew that got us here....where adults think saying to other adults "I don't feel safe, please ask them to leave" seems legitimate.

I mean we are how many years past Jim Crowe and we're putting Jim Crowe on different groups. I mean no gay people were asked simply TO LEAVE Christian bakeries because they were gay, but the cops can just leave the Starbucks because cops and that's okay.....

For enders, every sound justification can begin with "I FEEL" or "I don't FEEL"

Yeah well that sucks, but that's not facts or evidence, either. It's just feelings. Go cry out in your car for a while or whatever.
It's about karma

Don't worry about it

Looks like Starbucks is handling this the right way. Since when does a single malcontent have such sway over a barista. Here is a thought, if the members of law enforcement trouble a person to that extent, take the cappuccino to go...

Looks like Starbucks is handling this the right way. Since when does a single malcontent have such sway over a barista. Here is a thought, if the members of law enforcement trouble a person to that extent, take the cappuccino to go...

Because "I don't feel safe" is the 21st century emergency cry for help. Or something.

I don't know. I have said so often we need the 70s moms back. I can only imagine me running into the house even at 8,9,10 years old, after some little issue, and crying, "I don't feel safe"

I can actually HEAR my mom saying "Oh for God's sake"

A lot of it is attention seeking...like "I'm gay!!!!", "I'm transgender!!!!", "the flag offends me!!!", "Trump mad me pee my pants!!"

These people were raised wrong

A lot of it is attention seeking...like "I'm gay!!!!", "I'm transgender!!!!", "the flag offends me!!!", "Trump mad me pee my pants!!"

These people were raised wrong

I like "Trump made me pee my pants!!!"

Maybe that will be next in 2020....and they'll wear Pull Ups on their heads instead of Pussy Hats

images

So somebody went up to the Starbucks barista in Tempe, AZ when some cops were in the store drinking coffee, said, "I don't feel safe"....and on that thin evidence, the barista asked them to leave.

The Tempe Officers Association wrote on Twitter that the six officers "stopped by the Starbucks at Scottsdale Road and McKellips for coffee" before their shift on July 4. The police officers said they ordered drinks and were told by a barista that a customer "did not feel safe" with their presence in the store. They said they were told to "move out of the customer's line of sight or to leave."

Since when is "I don't feel safe" code for "And you must do something about this"? Because that's what it has become. FOR. ADULTS.

I teach young children--elementary. When they come to us with "I don't feel safe", we give them reasons that their feelings are not evidenced by fact. That tiny spider won't really hurt you. Thunder is only a sound. Etc. In cases where circumstances really ARE scary, we don't sugar coat. "Fires are not safe. That's why we need to practice getting out of the building."

We are not always expected to change their circumstances. Because, hello--this is not how life works. We do not cancel the fire drill because "they don't feel safe". We don't NOT read the book about the storm because "they don't feel safe".

In the situation above, the barista should have looked at the adult and said, "Then leave. You are free to leave."

I understand how we got into the situation we're in. But it's shameful, and we should stop responding to "I don't feel safe". What are your thoughts?
Bwaaaahhhhaaaaa. Oh it would be too funny, if the barista asked the police to leave, the officers get into their vehicle, drive off, and the person who "felt" threatened pulled out a gun and robbed the barista. I can see this scenario happen over and over, now that it is policy for police to be banned from their stores...

Exactly right. I would have pointed at the door and said, "The exit is right there."

Exactly right. I would have pointed at the door and said, "The exit is right there."
I would of said, Mexico is at the southern border, please leave this country, we dont want pansy ass liberals here anymore.

Forum List

Back