I did it! Should not have waited so long!

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
When I was in town today, I changed my voter registration to Republican. TN has open primaries, so when I was there, your registration really didn't matter. Here the primaries are closed. I definitely want to be able to vote in the next Republican primary if I am around.

When I was in town today, I changed my voter registration to Republican. TN has open primaries, so when I was there, your registration really didn't matter. Here the primaries are closed. I definitely want to be able to vote in the next Republican primary if I am around.

Were you a registered Democrat before?

Yes. But I could vote in any primary in TN. You can't here and, this being a primarily red state, there are few candidates from the blue side that are worth voting for.

Yes. But I could vote in any primary in TN. You can't here and, this being a primarily red state, there are few candidates from the blue side that are worth voting for.

Still, it's not all that common for registered voters to change their political affiliations. It's a statement in and of itself.

Your wisdom in practical matters is a valued asset, Ms. Sunshine. I hope the next few classes in Congress will be able to pay the deficit down and figure out a way to help people get good health care at the same time. We need people in office who have a vision that the next generation will have a fair chance to free themselves from bad governance when it experiments around with destroying constitutional freedoms to inure working people into paying taxes for pet rocks that people in another state should be buying, not everyone from coast to coast. We need people who are sincere conservatives running the country into balanced book country.

I hope that can be a reality in the near future. Congratulations on your decision.

Good for you......I am also registered Republican

I am registered as a nonpartisan. I can vote as follows:

Based on political party by-laws submitted to the Division of Elections there are three ballot choices:

Alaska Democratic Party, Alaska Libertarian Party and Alaskan Independence Party Candidate with
Ballot Measures ballot - any registered voter may vote this ballot;

Alaska Republican Party Candidate with Ballot Measures ballot - voters registered as Republican, Nonpartisan or Undeclared may vote this ballot;

and the Ballot Measures Only ballot - any registered voter may vote this ballot.

So I can vote either the Democrat or Republican primary ballot as I see fit according to the political climate at the time...without changing my registration.

And somebody called me stupid in a private message today! Sheesh.

Last edited:
I am registered as a nonpartisan. I can vote as follows:

Based on political party by-laws submitted to the Division of Elections there are three ballot choices:

Alaska Democratic Party, Alaska Libertarian Party and Alaskan Independence Party Candidate with
Ballot Measures ballot - any registered voter may vote this ballot;

Alaska Republican Party Candidate with Ballot Measures ballot - voters registered as Republican, Nonpartisan or Undeclared may vote this ballot;

and the Ballot Measures Only ballot - any registered voter may vote this ballot.

So I can vote either the Democrat or Republican primary ballot as I see fit according to the political climate at the time...without changing my registration.

And somebody called me stupid in a private message today! Sheesh.

The problem with no party affiliation is that in many states you would not get to vote in the primaries. In a state that has open primaries like TN, it would not be a problem. But KY has closed primaries, and the person carrying the state is GOING TO BE a republican. So it is expedient that one be registered so she can vote in the primary that gives her the most political clout in deciding which Republican that is going to be. In this state, a Democrat wastes their voting power when it comes to the primaries.

Last edited:
IMO, anyone who registers as an Independent gives up half their political power, which granted, isn't much to start with. But when you lock yourself out of half of the voting process.

Still, it's not all that common for registered voters to change their political affiliations. It's a statement in and of itself.

Early onset dementia?

I also live in TN and am a registered Republican. I've only made the mistake of voting for a third party candidate ONE time!

Open primaries leave the political selection process open to manipulation. One party vote in the others primary and nominate the weaker candidates and then stomp their asses on election day. This is attempted on a regular basis and is successful too often.

Closed caucuses permit the weirdos in one party to skew the candidate selection.

IMO, anyone who registers as an Independent gives up half their political power, which granted, isn't much to start with. But when you lock yourself out of half of the voting process.

By Independent, are you referring to nonpartisan or undeclared or are you referring to the American Independence Party?

I'm registered nonpartisan and can vote either the Democrat or Republican ballots, my choice, but I have to pick one for each election. So I'm not sure what you mean about locking oneself out of half the voting process?

Last edited:

By Independent, are you referring to nonpartisan or undeclared or are you referring to the American Independence Party?

I'm registered nonpartisan and can vote either the Democrat or Republican ballots, my choice, but I have to pick one for each election. So I'm not sure what you mean about locking oneself out of half the voting process?

If you do not affiliate yourself as either a Democrat or Republican you cannot vote in the primaries of states with closed elections. You are being required to do it election by election. Some states require that you be registered as one or the other. In KY when you vote, they already have your registration in the book. That party's primary is the only one you can vote in.

List of States with Open and Closed Primaries | Grassroots Idaho GOP

Well, I guess I'm lucky. In my state, I do not have to declare a political affiliation in order to vote in the primaries. I like being nonpartisan.

Forum List

Back