hypothetical scenario- armed teacher

Siete

Platinum Member
May 19, 2014
Hallway_of_Reading_High_School-900x450.jpg

you're the Athletic Director, you're in your office (front left beside the sign over the door) - you hear shooting and kids screaming for their life .. you open the gun safe in your closet, get your Glock 23 semi auto 9mm pistol and start out the door ... at the other end of the hall theres a kid standing at the bottom of the stairs with a semi auto AR 15 spraying shots down the hall in your direction as fast as he can squeeze the trigger, and bullets whizzing by you one after the other .. lets say those stairs are at least 45-50 steps, probably more... a lengthy shot for a pistol whatever the exact distance ... under those conditions, students running every direction, crowded hallway - could

YOU

leave your room, stay under total control,take careful aim and kill or wound the shooter stopping him from killing students without hitting and injuring any kids yourself?

Ive been around guns all of my life. I started shooting .22 rimfire pistols when I was 6 - .357 mag pistols when I was 12. I rate the degree of difficulty in that exact scenario on a scale of 1-10 .. 100+

what would you do ?

Add to that the chaos and confusion of the situation: students and teachers running in all directions, screaming, shouting, the sound of gunfire in the hallway absent hearing protection.

And we can assume teachers would be armed with semi-auto pistols, which require considerable experience and training to be even moderately proficient and accurate.

The idea that armed teachers can prevent school shootings is ignorant idiocy, resulting in only more dead students, shot by mistake by the inexperienced teachers who were supposed to protect them.

In that type of environment could they not fit bullet proof doors at intervals so that theteacher could get closer to get off a shot?

you're the Athletic Director, you're in your office (front left beside the sign over the door) - you hear shooting and kids screaming for their life .. you open the gun safe in your closet, get your Glock 23 semi auto 9mm pistol and start out the door ... at the other end of the hall theres a kid standing at the bottom of the stairs with a semi auto AR 15 spraying shots down the hall in your direction as fast as he can squeeze the trigger, and bullets whizzing by you one after the other .. lets say those stairs are at least 45-50 steps, probably more... a lengthy shot for a pistol whatever the exact distance ... under those conditions, students running every direction, crowded hallway - could

YOU

leave your room, stay under total control,take careful aim and kill or wound the shooter stopping him from killing students without hitting and injuring any kids yourself?

Ive been around guns all of my life. I started shooting .22 rimfire pistols when I was 6 - .357 mag pistols when I was 12. I rate the degree of difficulty in that exact scenario on a scale of 1-10 .. 100+

what would you do ?
You're assuming the shooter is going to stand in one place. When does that ever happen in these scenareos? He has to move to get more victims. The second he does you can fallow him and then gun him down.

Add to that the chaos and confusion of the situation: students and teachers running in all directions, screaming, shouting, the sound of gunfire in the hallway absent hearing protection.

And we can assume teachers would be armed with semi-auto pistols, which require considerable experience and training to be even moderately proficient and accurate.

The idea that armed teachers can prevent school shootings is ignorant idiocy, resulting in only more dead students, shot by mistake by the inexperienced teachers who were supposed to protect them.
One day at a shooting range would be sufficient practice. The bills proposed require practice at a range once a month. That's more than adequate training. Shooting a pistol just isn't as difficult as you are pretending it is.

The chaos means the shooter will not be focusing on the guy with a gun, making it easier to take him down.

What is up with a gun safe? The firearm really needs to be on your person and ready to go. I sleep with a fucking 12 year old cat and a loaded .357 magnum for example. The cat is no watchdog, but it will look up when there is an unusual sound and stop purring. Plus I have Arlo Pro cameras so the "cloud" will capture the action, but still.

One day at a shooting range would be sufficient practice. The bills proposed require practice at a range once a month. That's more than adequate training. Shooting a pistol just isn't as difficult as you are pretending it is.

The chaos means the shooter will not be focusing on the guy with a gun, making it easier to take him down.
Add to that the shooter will be standing alone! There maybe 15 or 20 between him and the closest person.
It's not like the victims run towards the gun!

The athletic directors door is on the left so it's a right handed shot.I don't even have to step out from concrete block cover to hit the base of the stairs as it's in the center. Body mass is two square feet at fifty. I take the shot!

What is up with a gun safe? The firearm really needs to be on your person and ready to go. I sleep with a fucking 12 year old cat and a loaded .357 magnum for example. The cat is no watchdog, but it will look up when there is an unusual sound and stop purring. Plus I have Arlo Pro cameras so the "cloud" will capture the action, but still.
It sounds an idyllic way of life.

YOU

what would you do ?
And then you get shot by a cop who thinks you’re the school shooter.

YOU

what would you do ?
And then you get shot by a cop who thinks you’re the school shooter.
Holster your weapon and sit on the floor. You will be fine.

It sounds an idyllic way of life.
Greatest country in the world...

YOU

what would you do ?

Let's take another scenario. Well.......it's not a scenario at all, it actually happened repeatedly.

You are in your classroom with children and a maniac starts shooting in the hall, he makes his way to your classroom, and there you and your students sit like ducks hoping you don't die from the gunshot would you are about to receive.

Why do most mass shooters kill themselves when done? Because they are afraid of the police wounding them and spending the rest of their life in jail or on death row. They couldn't take it. So when they hear a gunshot from your classroom, it's likely they will be the one running away.

Forum List

Back