Hunter kills woman after mistaking her for a deer

You know, there are several places here where I have a problem.

1. She should have been wearing hunter orange if she was in the woods during hunting season. I grew up doing it, and it was because I knew there were going to be idiots in the woods with beer and guns.

2. The hunter is wrong on several counts here. First, he was taking a shot after the sun had set. Hunting in the dark makes it very difficult to see what you are shooting at. Second, he was taking a shot at an animal from a very long distance. Me? I hunted with a 30 ot six, and a British 308, and was told by my family that before taking a shot, make sure what you are shooting at, and to ALWAYS be close enough to ensure you could bring the animal down with one shot. Why? Tracking a wounded animal through the woods is hard work.

Granted, this is a tragedy, and yes, there should be some kind of consequences for the hunter in this situation.

But, it's also a good reminder to wear orange during hunting season.

:banghead:

1. She should have been wearing hunter orange if she was in the woods during hunting season. I grew up doing it, and it was because I knew there were going to be idiots in the woods with beer and guns.

2. The hunter is wrong on several counts here. First, he was taking a shot after the sun had set. Hunting in the dark makes it very difficult to see what you are shooting at. Second, he was taking a shot at an animal from a very long distance. Me? I hunted with a 30 ot six, and a British 308, and was told by my family that before taking a shot, make sure what you are shooting at, and to ALWAYS be close enough to ensure you could bring the animal down with one shot. Why? Tracking a wounded animal through the woods is hard work.

Granted, this is a tragedy, and yes, there should be some kind of consequences for the hunter in this situation.

Didn’t the story say she was walking her dogs in a field behind her house? She wasn’t in the woods. Why was the hunter hunting in peoples backyards!?!!

It's the hunting-after-dark part that makes this negligent homicide. If it had happened in during legal hunting hours, he probably wouldn't be charged.

It's like drunk driving. It is foreseeable by a reasonable person that driving drunk could kill someone, so if you do kill someone while driving drunk, you'll probably be charged with negligent homicide.

In the same way, it's foreseeable by a reasonable person that shooting at vague shapes in the dark could kill someone.

I'm no hunter

But isn't hitting your target at 200 yards with a pistol quite a shot?
It’s probably too far and you don’t just shoot at something moving. He shot at something moving. He did not see a deer.

I hunt at sun up and sun down. I know what I’m talking about. I’ve seen what I believed to be a deer off in the darkness. I saw something big moving. Pretty sure it’s a deer. But if I shoot I’m shooting blind.

And I know the feeling. I saw heard something once walking towards me. I had my gun pointed and suddenly I saw my hunting buddy. What a fool he was to shoot. He should serve 20 years for this or ten years and a million. The victims family should be given the option after 9 years. Should he serve another 20 or get out and owe you $1 mill? I’d take the million

Didn’t the story say she was walking her dogs in a field behind her house? She wasn’t in the woods. Why was the hunter hunting in peoples backyards!?!!
In the country you can. Our property is 65 acres but we have neighbors and could hit someone on the road if we tried

How in the wide world of FUCK is it the responsibility of a non-hunter to know when the gun fetishists decide to wander around after sunset with a pistol?

Hm??

Again, your inane post-dump consists of "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

It's common sense. Ever heard of it?

My view on it is that he shouldn't have fired a shot in the first place given the scenario.

How the fuck would I (for one) know "it's hunting season"? I don't kill things, why would I even know that?

NO Virginia, it's the responsibility of the killers to let the public know they've established a kill zone. You don't run the fucking world. YOU decide to go shoot stuff, then *YOU* carry the responsibility for your actions.

I can't fucking believe you're sitting here trying to blame the victim. Fuck you.
As long as the meat doesn’t go to waste

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.
How much do you pay for car insurance? Without us double that. You’re welcome

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.

She's not "catering to some moron who is out there to shoot animals". And yeah, nobody owns the public lands, that is why they are called public.

However..................a person DOES have a responsibility to know when certain things are going on around them. Even though she may not hunt for herself, she still has a responsibility to be safe and know that during hunting season, it is foolish to walk in the woods without safety orange. Why? Because the whole woods are crawling with people out there to shoot some game.

It sounds like you want to shut down hunting season just so someone can walk their dogs in the woods.
Don't try to dump responsibility off on someone else. If you want to walk around in the woods with a loaded gun, which is entirely of your own volition, you are responsible, as is this little bitch who killed this woman. Why is it that the people who pursue this ridiculous hobby of hunting want the rest of us to cater to your "needs"? If you want a hobby, try chess or bowling. The rest of us are not responsible for your choices.
Don’t walk through my woods during hunting season. I got out there 1 hour before sun up. I sat still and quiet for hours. I washed my clothes in sent proof detergent. I spend a lot of time money and energy all to have some stupid woman with her dog illegally off its leash fucking up my hunt. He probably did it on purpose

In the country you can. Our property is 65 acres but we have neighbors and could hit someone on the road if we tried
If you tried.

I don’t understand how this type of accident happens.

Actually that's a human right.

What, are we fucking required to dress as Irish Protestants now?

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.
It’s not a game or sport. You’re killing something. I want to use something accurate and effective. I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer.

She's not "catering to some moron who is out there to shoot animals". And yeah, nobody owns the public lands, that is why they are called public.

However..................a person DOES have a responsibility to know when certain things are going on around them. Even though she may not hunt for herself, she still has a responsibility to be safe and know that during hunting season, it is foolish to walk in the woods without safety orange. Why? Because the whole woods are crawling with people out there to shoot some game.

It sounds like you want to shut down hunting season just so someone can walk their dogs in the woods.
Don't try to dump responsibility off on someone else. If you want to walk around in the woods with a loaded gun, which is entirely of your own volition, you are responsible, as is this little bitch who killed this woman. Why is it that the people who pursue this ridiculous hobby of hunting want the rest of us to cater to your "needs"? If you want a hobby, try chess or bowling. The rest of us are not responsible for your choices.
Don’t walk through my woods during hunting season. I got out there 1 hour before sun up. I sat still and quiet for hours. I washed my clothes in sent proof detergent. I spend a lot of time money and energy all to have some stupid woman with her dog illegally off its leash fucking up my hunt. He probably did it on purpose

Poor Sealy... All dressed up, and nothing to kill.....

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.
It’s not a game or sport. You’re killing something. I want to use something accurate and effective. I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer.
I am not at all in favor of hunting. I know about it because I grew up with family who were hunters. But I have no desire, and never did, to be involved in it. I don't support it at all. Essentially, I am against.

But I am a realist. It does exist. It has existed since the beginning of humankind. Today, in modern times, there are laws and regulations containing it. As far as I know, deer hunting takes place in the fall/or November. The exact dates are different in different areas. It is an established behavior in our country and most countries. I'm very old and it's been going on, this fall hunting, from as far back as I remember.

I myself don't eat and wouldn't eat venison, but I do eat meat, poultry and fish. I'm not a vegetarian. Hunting animals is literally not any worse than what happens to them at a slaughterhouse, probably an easier way to die--by a bullet. So as long as I am not a vegetarian, I can't complain about hunters, farmers, etc.

You say, " I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer." The truth is what happens to animals in slaughterhouses is much worse. Research it. If you eat meat, you are being hypocritical. Imagine you are imprisoned in a big warehouse with hundreds of other people, listenting to the screams of those dying and knowing your turn is coming. Imagine it. That's part of what they experience in a slaughterhouse. Not deer but beef, pigs, poultry. The deer have a much better deal. As far as slaughterhouses, we are far kinder to convicted murders on death row.

Last edited:
It's the hunting-after-dark part that makes this negligent homicide. If it had happened in during legal hunting hours, he probably wouldn't be charged.

It's like drunk driving. It is foreseeable by a reasonable person that driving drunk could kill someone, so if you do kill someone while driving drunk, you'll probably be charged with negligent homicide.

In the same way, it's foreseeable by a reasonable person that shooting at vague shapes in the dark could kill someone.
A good hunter will not shoot at something he is just guessing is a deer. But a lot of these guys (and it's mostly guys) are pretty dumb and don't do what is right. There is no training required to go out hunting. Many of them are just larking. That's why it is so important to take care and wear orange if anyone is shooting near where you live or where you are walking.

5 common practices in slaughterhouses that you need to know

Do what I do. I wear a blaze orange vest and I put blaze orange vests on my dogs. I also put bells on my dogs so they make as much noise as possible. I figure I scare every deer in a 200 yard radius away

Why stop there. Why not just put me in leg irons and chain me to a wall.

Why would I do that? I'm out there just trying to enjoy the outdoors with my dogs. I am being cautious so neither I nor my dogs get mistaken for a game animal.

OK let's go from there.

If you or your dogs do get mistaken for a game animal --- exactly WHO is it that is committing the action of mistaking?

That's the central point.

Obviously the hunter but why should I not make it easier NOT to mistake me or my dogs for a game animal?

It seems the prudent thing to do does it not?

It would, only given the vital assumption that one knows there's a hunter around, or could be.

This poster not only assumes that "everybody just knows" by some kind of osmosis, but also ass-sumed he knows what she was wearing and not wearing. Neither ass-sumption is valid.
When it is hunting season it is prudent to assume there are hunters around

Read the article.

It was after sunset and there is a sunset curfew on hunting in her town. This was 100% the fault of the idiot who shot her. And the consequences should be manslaughter at the least and this idiot should lose all his rights to possess firearms

You know, I won't get on a small boat, or go water skiing without a life vest. Why? Because I am doing something that could potentially be dangerous, and I understand that I can drown.

Same reason I wear a stocking cap or vest in hunter orange during hunting season when I'm in the woods. I know that people are hunting, and I also understand that there are some of them who are not exactly trained in the proper handling of guns.

When you're heading out on water in a boat ----that's something YOU are actively doing.

That's the difference.
When you are walking around the woods during hunting season that is something you are actively doing as well
She was not walking in the woods
She was on private property 100 yds from her home
I never said she was walking in the woods I was responding to an anecdotal example with another anecdotal example

Try to keep up

Do what I do. I wear a blaze orange vest and I put blaze orange vests on my dogs. I also put bells on my dogs so they make as much noise as possible. I figure I scare every deer in a 200 yard radius away

Why stop there. Why not just put me in leg irons and chain me to a wall.

Why would I do that? I'm out there just trying to enjoy the outdoors with my dogs. I am being cautious so neither I nor my dogs get mistaken for a game animal.

OK let's go from there.

If you or your dogs do get mistaken for a game animal --- exactly WHO is it that is committing the action of mistaking?

That's the central point.
No. The central point is to take seriously your safety and accept the unavoidable. Unless you want to get involved in politics and some how manage to change things to be the way you want them, you just have to accept. These things have been in place for decades. Probably for over 100 years. I can't understand how it hasn't come up before if you live in a rural area. Or have you just chosen this thread to be difficult? When you are in an area where people are shooting, just do this (or not if the principle is more important than your life).

Hunting Safety Tips for Non-Hunters

• Identify hunting seasons and lands open to hunting. ...
  • Wear bright clothing (like hunter blaze orange). ...
  • Don't forget to protect your dog, too. ...
  • Make noise. ...
  • Be courteous. ...
  • Make yourself known. ...
  • Choose an alternative place or date
  • Be sure to wear orange when hiking during hunting season
Bullshit. There is no reason to have "hunting safety tips" for non-hunters. If you are crazy enough to be in the woods with a loaded gun, you have the responsibility. Most people don't hunt. If this is your hobby, the responsibility is on you. Typical of gun types, they want everyone to watch out for them instead of accepting responsibility for their actions.

Here we go. The anti gun nut spouts more idiocy.

If it is hunting season and you are outdoors why would you risk being mistaken for a game animal when it's very easy to wear an orange vest?

I agree that the person who fires a gun is responsible but that doesn't mean I'm not going to be wearing an orange vest. Do you choose not to wear a seat belt because anyone other driver who plows into you is responsible for the accident too?

Hunter shoots, kills woman after mistaking her for a deer, officials say

A hunter in western New York shot and killed a woman out walking her dogs Wednesday evening after mistaking her for a deer, officials said.
Thomas Jadlowski, 34, believed he saw a deer in a field about 200 yards away from him when he shot Rosemary Billquist in the hip with a high-powered pistol. The 43-year-old woman was walking her two Labrador Retrievers in the field behind her home in Sherman.

Rushing toward Billquist after hearing her scream, Jadlowski called 911 and applied pressure on her wound until paramedics arrived. Billquist was taken to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Erie, Pa., where she was pronounced dead.

After sunset and at 200 yards.....What a mistake in judgement

Ah, law abiding citizens with guns.... no danger....

Forum List

Back