Hunter kills woman after mistaking her for a deer

Hunter shoots, kills woman after mistaking her for a deer, officials say

A hunter in western New York shot and killed a woman out walking her dogs Wednesday evening after mistaking her for a deer, officials said.
Thomas Jadlowski, 34, believed he saw a deer in a field about 200 yards away from him when he shot Rosemary Billquist in the hip with a high-powered pistol. The 43-year-old woman was walking her two Labrador Retrievers in the field behind her home in Sherman.

Rushing toward Billquist after hearing her scream, Jadlowski called 911 and applied pressure on her wound until paramedics arrived. Billquist was taken to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Erie, Pa., where she was pronounced dead.

After sunset and at 200 yards.....What a mistake in judgement

Ah, law abiding citizens with guns.... no danger....
He wasn't law abiding, Moron. He broke the law when he hunted after sundown.

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

Actually that's a human right.

What, are we fucking required to dress as Irish Protestants now?

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.
It’s not a game or sport. You’re killing something. I want to use something accurate and effective. I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer.
I am not at all in favor of hunting. I know about it because I grew up with family who were hunters. But I have no desire, and never did, to be involved in it. I don't support it at all. Essentially, I am against.

But I am a realist. It does exist. It has existed since the beginning of humankind. Today, in modern times, there are laws and regulations containing it. As far as I know, deer hunting takes place in the fall/or November. The exact dates are different in different areas. It is an established behavior in our country and most countries. I'm very old and it's been going on, this fall hunting, from as far back as I remember.

I myself don't eat and wouldn't eat venison, but I do eat meat, poultry and fish. I'm not a vegetarian. Hunting animals is literally not any worse than what happens to them at a slaughterhouse, probably an easier way to die--by a bullet. So as long as I am not a vegetarian, I can't complain about hunters, farmers, etc.

You say, " I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer." The truth is what happens to animals in slaughterhouses is much worse. Research it. If you eat meat, you are being hypocritical. Imagine you are imprisoned in a big warehouse with hundreds of other people, listenting to the screams of those dying and knowing your turn is coming. Imagine it. That's part of what they experience in a slaughterhouse. Not deer but beef, pigs, poultry. The deer have a much better deal. As far as slaughterhouses, we are far kinder to convicted murders on death row.
I was going to say you’re a hypocrite if you eat slaughterhouse beef. So you do understand.

So you lied when you said you don’t support hunting because you admit free range deer is better than what you’re doing.

If I shoot a deer I pretty much don’t buy hamburger that year.

All you need to do is hit one deer with your car and you’ll be pro hunting

Gosh. What the heck was she doing out there in the woods during hunting season without any orange? That's just stupid.

What an inane post. Looks like you're saying "look at the way she was dressed --- she was askin' for it."

I live in a forest. It would never occur to me that I have to kowtow to somebody else's sick fetish to determine what color clothing I wear, for a "season" I have no knowledge of. That ain't my responsibility.
If you are in an area where there is hunting and it is hunting season, you are supposed to, if you have common sense, to wear orange so a hunter won't mistake you for a deer. I've known that since I was a child as my dad and uncles went hunting. They wore orange jackets too, when they were out there.

I don't know what to think. I don't think he is excused because she didn't have orange on. A good hunter will not shoot at anything that he is unsure of. You don't shoot at something you are just guessing is a deer. And I think hunters should only be allowed to use traditional hunting rifles. They don't need high powered military style weapons. Hunting is supposed to be a sport. Using military style high powered weapons isn't sport.
It’s not a game or sport. You’re killing something. I want to use something accurate and effective. I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer.
I am not at all in favor of hunting. I know about it because I grew up with family who were hunters. But I have no desire, and never did, to be involved in it. I don't support it at all. Essentially, I am against.

But I am a realist. It does exist. It has existed since the beginning of humankind. Today, in modern times, there are laws and regulations containing it. As far as I know, deer hunting takes place in the fall/or November. The exact dates are different in different areas. It is an established behavior in our country and most countries. I'm very old and it's been going on, this fall hunting, from as far back as I remember.

I myself don't eat and wouldn't eat venison, but I do eat meat, poultry and fish. I'm not a vegetarian. Hunting animals is literally not any worse than what happens to them at a slaughterhouse, probably an easier way to die--by a bullet. So as long as I am not a vegetarian, I can't complain about hunters, farmers, etc.

You say, " I don’t want to chase it a mile into the woods or have it suffer." The truth is what happens to animals in slaughterhouses is much worse. Research it. If you eat meat, you are being hypocritical. Imagine you are imprisoned in a big warehouse with hundreds of other people, listenting to the screams of those dying and knowing your turn is coming. Imagine it. That's part of what they experience in a slaughterhouse. Not deer but beef, pigs, poultry. The deer have a much better deal. As far as slaughterhouses, we are far kinder to convicted murders on death row.
I was going to say you’re a hypocrite if you eat slaughterhouse beef. So you do understand.

So you lied when you said you don’t support hunting because you admit free range deer is better than what you’re doing.

:cuckoo::cuckoo:

Sorry but in one sentence you’re not supporting deer hunting but then you defend deer hunting over the slaughterhouse meat you put in your pie hole

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.

She's not "catering to some moron who is out there to shoot animals". And yeah, nobody owns the public lands, that is why they are called public.

However..................a person DOES have a responsibility to know when certain things are going on around them. Even though she may not hunt for herself, she still has a responsibility to be safe and know that during hunting season, it is foolish to walk in the woods without safety orange. Why? Because the whole woods are crawling with people out there to shoot some game.

It sounds like you want to shut down hunting season just so someone can walk their dogs in the woods.
Don't try to dump responsibility off on someone else. If you want to walk around in the woods with a loaded gun, which is entirely of your own volition, you are responsible, as is this little bitch who killed this woman. Why is it that the people who pursue this ridiculous hobby of hunting want the rest of us to cater to your "needs"? If you want a hobby, try chess or bowling. The rest of us are not responsible for your choices.
Don’t walk through my woods during hunting season. I got out there 1 hour before sun up. I sat still and quiet for hours. I washed my clothes in sent proof detergent. I spend a lot of time money and energy all to have some stupid woman with her dog illegally off its leash fucking up my hunt. He probably did it on purpose
Unleashed dogs on my land, get a 168 grain boatail. No irresponsible pet owner will ruin my hunt more than once.

Sorry but in one sentence you’re not supporting deer hunting but then you defend deer hunting over the slaughterhouse meat you put in your pie hole
I was just making a point; It is not a contradiction. Perhaps it's just too complex for you to understand.

You do realize there are hunting seasons, right? So anyone can walk around out of season without having to worry. During the season, you stay away or wear orange. Just the way it is. Don’t like it, don’t buy in those areas.

It's unfortunate, though. Not sure what pistol was used, though. That is a heck of a shot.
It is NOT the responsibility of a person out walking her dogs to cater to some moron who is out there to shoot animals. If you are stupid enough to have this hobby, you have no right to own the woods, and it is your responsibility to pursue your ridiculous hobby safely, with no danger to others.

She's not "catering to some moron who is out there to shoot animals". And yeah, nobody owns the public lands, that is why they are called public.

However..................a person DOES have a responsibility to know when certain things are going on around them. Even though she may not hunt for herself, she still has a responsibility to be safe and know that during hunting season, it is foolish to walk in the woods without safety orange. Why? Because the whole woods are crawling with people out there to shoot some game.

It sounds like you want to shut down hunting season just so someone can walk their dogs in the woods.
Don't try to dump responsibility off on someone else. If you want to walk around in the woods with a loaded gun, which is entirely of your own volition, you are responsible, as is this little bitch who killed this woman. Why is it that the people who pursue this ridiculous hobby of hunting want the rest of us to cater to your "needs"? If you want a hobby, try chess or bowling. The rest of us are not responsible for your choices.

Aren't you SUPPOSED to sight your animal before shooting, regardless of the weapon?

Yeah. Unfortunately, a lot of idiots today classify bushes moving as sighting a target. Appears to be the case here, too.
The article says she had two labs with her. The shooter could have been a bad shot and thought one of the dogs was a deer. Some of their coloring is close to a deer.

F702F510-3402-4285-BC1F-F934A50FF9A0.jpeg

The thing that bothers me, in addition to the fact that an innocent person lost her life and her family is in mourning for their loss of a person who cannot be replaced, is that people who like to practice this hobby known as hunting think that everyone should watch out for them. It is not the responsibility of members of the public to look out for them. If you choose to wonder around in the woods with a loaded gun, you are responsible for what happens.
Hunting is not just a hobby for many. It puts food on the table.

The thing that bothers me, in addition to the fact that an innocent person lost her life and her family is in mourning for their loss of a person who cannot be replaced, is that people who like to practice this hobby known as hunting think that everyone should watch out for them. It is not the responsibility of members of the public to look out for them. If you choose to wonder around in the woods with a loaded gun, you are responsible for what happens.
So says you. If you choose to go tramping around in the woods with a loaded gun, it's all on you. The rest of us don't do this. You are entirely responsible and the rest of us owe you nothing.

It was all the woman's fault
She should have worn orange

hqdefault.jpg

Honey, you must not have been born in the US. Either that or very young. Hunting has been going on forever here and will continue. And it does provide food.
What is sad is most schools have dropped gun and hunting safety, due to pressure and more accidents can happen, unfortunately .
So says you. If you choose to go tramping around in the woods with a loaded gun, it's all on you. The rest of us don't do this. You are entirely responsible and the rest of us owe you nothing.

Upon searching the guys house....
What they found on the mantle

68f4c041df5ef731a8de8102ccc20c51--deer-antlers-yamamoto.jpg

Don’t walk through my woods during hunting season. I got out there 1 hour before sun up. I sat still and quiet for hours. I washed my clothes in sent proof detergent. I spend a lot of time money and energy all to have some stupid woman with her dog illegally off its leash fucking up my hunt. He probably did it on purpose
Unleashed dogs on my land, get a 168 grain boatail. No irresponsible pet owner will ruin my hunt more than once.

I see we've now moved on from dictating what color the victim was not wearing to taking her dogs off leashes. Whatever will get the gun freak off the hook. Even though the article says absolutely nothing about what colors she was wearing or dogs being unleashed.

Because this is USMB where facts are despised and you just make shit up to push your agenda, even over dead bodies.

Stay classy. Unsubscribed.

I see we've now moved on from dictating what color the victim was not wearing to taking her dogs off leashes. Whatever will get the gun freak off the hook. Even though the article says absolutely nothing about what colors she was wearing or dogs being unleashed.

Because this is USMB where facts are despised and you just make shit up to push your agenda, even over dead bodies.

I never let the shooter off the hook.

Hunter who killed woman walking her dogs indicted

Hunter who killed woman walking her dogs indicted

Looks like manslaughter

Have to see if he gets leniency for trying to save her and calling the police

Forum List

Back