http://factleft.com/2012/01/31/the-myth-of-democratic-super-majority

After Scott Brown, dems couldn't do a damn thing- 59 is enough my azz, stupid. Link, azzhole dupe?

We don't have a propaganda machine to give us our talking points. Pubs had a record number of filibusters in 2009, and again in 2010. You love your liars, and your lies, from the lying cheating greedy rich azzholes who melted the world down, AGAIN.

No Harry, I can't tell you a Dem feck up, except being too civil and easy going with you feqqing lying, incompetent assholes/bad citizens LOL.

August and Septmebr of 2009 are not after Brown you dimwit....I know you're challenged but you can read a calender ....right?

and I have asked before, please post a list of the votes for cloture, then the floor time of the filibusters for each please.

The Senate's 2009-10 votes to cut off filibusters have come on a wide variety of issues, big and small: Health care, domestic and defense spending, and 15 Obama nominees. While 38 of the 42 votes to cut off debate were successful, the debates about debates tie up the Senate and often prevent measures from ever reaching the floor.
"Republicans are gambling they can convince the American people Democrats can't get much done, and at the moment, their gamble is paying off," said former Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Nebraska Democrat and the president of the New School in New York.
Filibusters weren't supposed to be this effective in the modern era. Senate Rule 22 used to require 67 votes to shut one off. However, outrage at filibusters against civil-rights legislation in the 1950s and 1960s, plus the post-Watergate clean-up-government mood, led to the adoption in 1975 of a 60-vote threshold for ending filibusters.

Read more here: Senate Republicans: Filibuster everything to win in November? | McClatchy

The Myth of Democratic Super Majority.
Filed under Congress, Politics, Recommended 5 comments
One of the standard Republican talking points is that the Democrats had a veto-proof majority for two years between 2008 and 2010. This talking point is usually trotted out when liberals complain that the Republicans filibustered virtually every piece of legislation proposed by Obama or the Democrats over that period of time.

The implication is that Democrats had ample opportunity to pass legislation and that the reason they didn’t pass more legislation doesn’t have anything to do with the Republicans. The Truth is that the Democrats only had a veto proof majority for 24 working days during that period. Here are the details:

To define terms, a Veto Proof Majority or Super Majority is the number of votes required to overcome a filibuster in the Senate. According to current Senate rules, 60 votes are required to overcome a filibuster.

Here is a time-line of the events after the 2008 election:

1. BALANCE BEFORE THE ELECTION. In 2007 – 2008 the balance in the Senate was 51-49 in favor of the Democrats. On top of that, there was a Republican president who would likely veto any legislation the Republicans didn’t like. Not exactly a super majority.

2. BIG GAIN IN 2008, BUT STILL NO SUPER MAJORITY. Coming out the 2008 election, the Democrats made big gains, but they didn’t immediately get a Super Majority. The Minnesota Senate race required a recount and was not undecided for more than six months. During that time, Norm Coleman was still sitting in the Senate and the Balance 59-41, still not a Super Majority.

3. KENNEDY GRAVELY ILL. Teddy Kennedy casts his last vote in April and leaves Washington for good around the first of May. Technically he could come back to Washington vote on a pressing issue, but in actual fact, he never returns, even to vote on the Sotomayor confirmation. That leaves the balance in the Senate 58-41, two votes away from a super majority.

4. STILL NO SUPER MAJORITY. In July, Al Frankin was finally declared the winner and was sworn in on July 7th, 2009, so the Democrats finally had a Super Majority of 60-40 six and one-half months into the year. However, by this point, Kennedy was unable to return to Washington even to participate in the Health Care debate, so it was only a technical super majority because Kennedy could no longer vote and the Senate does not allow proxies. Now the actual actual balance of voting members is 59-40 not enough to overcome a Republican filibuster.

5. SENATE IS IN RECESS. Even if Kennedy were able to vote, the Senate went into summer recess three weeks later, from August 7th to September 8th.

6. KENNEDY DIES. Six weeks later, on Aug 26, 2009 Teddy Kennedy died, putting the balance at 59-40. Now the Democrats don’t even have technical super majority.

7. FINALLY, A SUPER MAJORITY! Kennedy’s replacement was sworn in on September 25, 2009, finally making the majority 60-40, just enough for a super majority.

8. SENATE ADJOURNS. However the Senate adjourned for the year on October 9th, only providing 11 working days of super majority, from September 25th to October 9th.

8. SCOTT BROWN ELECTED. Scott Brown was elected in November of 2009. The Senate was not in session during November and December of 2009. The Senate was in session for 10 days in January, but Scott Brown was sworn into office on February 4th, so the Democrats only had 13 days of super majority in 2010.

Summary: The Democrats only had 24 days of Super Majority between 2008 and 2010.

Democrats only had a veto proof majority for 24 working days | Fact Left

Dems let this go by every time. WTF?!

So let me see if I have this right. At it's Core your argument is nothing is the Democrats Fault because they never had full control where they could do what ever they wanted unchecked?

That's what they need to Govern? No Opposition?

Lame

After Scott Brown, dems couldn't do a damn thing- 59 is enough my azz, stupid. Link, azzhole dupe?

We don't have a propaganda machine to give us our talking points. Pubs had a record number of filibusters in 2009, and again in 2010. You love your liars, and your lies, from the lying cheating greedy rich azzholes who melted the world down, AGAIN.

No Harry, I can't tell you a Dem feck up, except being too civil and easy going with you feqqing lying, incompetent assholes/bad citizens LOL.

August and Septmebr of 2009 are not after Brown you dimwit....I know you're challenged but you can read a calender ....right?

and I have asked before, please post a list of the votes for cloture, then the floor time of the filibusters for each please.

Who said it was, MORON? Jeebus dupes are stupid...

How 'bout this, shyttehead, FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on LOL I'm not your mother LOL.

Your party lies every day, and you don't care! This makes you a BAD CITIZEN, an UGLY 'Merican, and a LIAR LOL.:eusa_liar::cuckoo::lol::lol::eusa_whistle:

Last edited:

How 'bout this, shyttehead, FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on LOL I'm not your mother LOL.

Your party lies every day, and you don't care! This makes you a BAD CITIZEN, an UGLY 'Merican, and a LIAR LOL.:eusa_liar::cuckoo::lol::lol::eusa_whistle:

You're so full of s***, it is hysterical.

You can't post an argument in your behalf because you don't have one :lol: :lol:

Your party has it's collective head so far up it's collective ass, it will be lucky to be around after 2012.

You are a loser Francblo.

Stop sucking on Obama's dick and get a job.

Schoolteach my ass. :doubt: :doubt:

Learn how to debate you low I.Q. posterchild for the stupid half of the democratic party.

Can you read? What do you call your planet? LOL! Any actual argument, knucklehead Pubtroll (the only kind)...

Still getting your salad tossed by the Obama campaign ? What a jackass.

Francblo the moron who has no idea of what an argument actually looks like.

Typing blindly because his head is so far up his ass, he can no longer see out his bellybutton.

There is a reason the democrats chose the donkey as their mascot.

:lol: :lol:

The Senate's 2009-10 votes to cut off filibusters have come on a wide variety of issues, big and small: Health care, domestic and defense spending, and 15 Obama nominees. While 38 of the 42 votes to cut off debate were successful, the debates about debates tie up the Senate and often prevent measures from ever reaching the floor.
"Republicans are gambling they can convince the American people Democrats can't get much done, and at the moment, their gamble is paying off," said former Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Nebraska Democrat and the president of the New School in New York.
Filibusters weren't supposed to be this effective in the modern era. Senate Rule 22 used to require 67 votes to shut one off. However, outrage at filibusters against civil-rights legislation in the 1950s and 1960s, plus the post-Watergate clean-up-government mood, led to the adoption in 1975 of a 60-vote threshold for ending filibusters.

Read more here: Senate Republicans: Filibuster everything to win in November? | McClatchy

Fail, not what I asked for;

one more time for the intellect impaired.

#46- No, they needed some cooperation and compromise, not the absolutely "no compromise, un-American" (TIME) GOP. They destroyed the world's finances, started the longest, stupidest wars ever, and now only care about defeating Obama, from the start- worst party and most brainwashed voters in the modern world.

Every day Pubs say he had total control for two years, and I'm guessing 90% of the country believes it. Amazing. Propaganda saturation- Goebbels would be proud.

:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::fu:
#46- No, they needed some cooperation and compromise, not the absolutely "no compromise, un-American" (TIME) GOP. They destroyed the world's finances, started the longest, stupidest wars ever, and now only care about defeating Obama, from the start- worst party and most brainwashed voters in the modern world.

Every day Pubs say he had total control for two years, and I'm guessing 90% of the country believes it. Amazing. Propaganda saturation- Goebbels would be proud.

:funnyface: :funnyface:

August and September of 2009 are not after Brown you dimwit....I know you're challenged but you can read a calender ....right?

Who said it was, MORON? Jeebus dupes are stupid...

your post dopey....

what a slobbering wreck you are.....:lol:hear that? grammies calling, change into your pajamas, bed time.

:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::fu:

:funnyface: :funnyface:

:lol:hes 14, maybe......

But...but Franco.....all the RW media sources said it was so....and they never lie.
yea like the sources Frankie uses are just so up and up.....the guy wont even admit if a Democrat fucks up.....are you like that Steel?.....do the fucking Democrats ever fuck up?....
Sure....Weiner...is one of the most recent....what about you, slick...do Conservatives ever fuck up? How about the right wing propaganda machine that is Conservative Talk Radio?

I know, I know...What about MSNBC? Other side of the same coin, Imo.

Truthfully? I don't think Conservatives fuck up...I think they do it intentionally.

geezus dont you read my posts ..Slick?.....when have i ever said those assholes were good?....Republicans are a bunch of Motherfuckers just like Democrats are.....

Nope, they're the world's lying greedy incompetent a-holes- we used to have journalists that made this impossible, and the fairness doctrine. Any examples of Dem lies or policy feckups yet?

But it's nice you dupes enjoy supporting them...enjoy Hell!

Last edited:
Nope, they're the world's lying greedy incompetent a-holes- we used to have journalists that made this impossible, and the fairness doctrine. Any examples of Dem lies or policy feckups yet?

But it's nice you dupes enjoy supporting them...enjoy Hell!

Oh where do we start ?

1. Americans want higher taxes: During the debate over raising the debt ceiling, President Obama said that 80% of Americans support including higher taxes as part of the deal. But a Rasmussen poll taken the same week showed that only 34% believe a tax hike should be included in a debt-ceiling agreement.

New Topics

Forum List

Back