How to Understand Obama's Unemployment Figures

1. Calculate the gross (total) number of ALL unemployed/out of work adults 18 years of age or older.
Nope. that's not what happens. The survey is of all people in the US 16 and older not in prison, the military, or an institution.

2. Subtract the number of all unemployed/out of work adults who have exhausted their unemployment benefits.
Nope. No one's even asked about benefits. It plays no part in the calculation.

3. Subtract the number of all unemployed/out of work adults who have given up looking for work and are completely relying on public assistance to survive.
Nope. No one is "subtracted," people are classified by what they do. If they're trying to work, they're not unemployed (why would you want to include retirees and students and housewives?). There are no questions about public assistance.

4. Subtract the number of all unemployed/out of work adults who are working part-time jobs, because they cannot find a full-time job.
Why would you ever include people WITH JOBS as unemployed in the first place? They're not "subtracted" they're added in the count of employed.

5. Subtract the number of all unemployed/out of work adults who are "under"-employed (working at jobs that are well below their skill levels).
Again, you can't subtract people who were never included. And there's no way to measure this kind of "under"employment. Is an Drama Major working as a waitress working below her skill level? Really?

6. Subtract the number of all other unemployed/out of work adults who are NOT collecting unemployment benefits.
Nope. Not even asked.

Amazing. You got everything wrong. Why don't you do some actual research first before spouting nonsense?

Growth in number of Social Security beneficiaries

i2u243.jpg

Still waiting on those numbers of baby boomers that actually retired last year and this year.
Still milking that perpetual CON$ervative dumb act. I posted the number for YOU more than once in other threads and you still pretend to not know the number! :eusa_liar:

1.37 million workers left the workforce because they either retired or became disabled in 2011. There is no data available for 2012 yet.

I got it in a RW viral email.

I'm intrigued that bigrednec considers that a more reliable source than the Labour Dept

it's election year, obama is running for reelection, he is the boss of the Secretary of labor which the department of labor submits those numbers.
Actually, no. The Bureau of Labor Statistics calculates the data based on a Census Bureau survey. Main Dept of Labor isn't involved at all and has no access to the data until release. The President's economic advisors are given a copy the night before release, but that's it. No time to change anything. The just retired BLS commissioner was appointed by Bush and was Bush's Chief Economist for the White House Council of Economic Advisers. The current acting commissioner is a career civil servant with no political connections.

Why wouldn't the Secretary of labor want to give a rosie report to help his boss win another election?
She might want to....but she doesn't have the ability to do so.

I'm intrigued that bigrednec considers that a more reliable source than the Labour Dept

it's election year, obama is running for reelection, he is the boss of the Secretary of labor which the department of labor submits those numbers.
Actually, no. The Bureau of Labor Statistics calculates the data based on a Census Bureau survey. Main Dept of Labor isn't involved at all and has no access to the data until release. The President's economic advisors are given a copy the night before release, but that's it. No time to change anything. The just retired BLS commissioner was appointed by Bush and was Bush's Chief Economist for the White House Council of Economic Advisers. The current acting commissioner is a career civil servant with no political connections.

Why wouldn't the Secretary of labor want to give a rosie report to help his boss win another election?

UH no what? That obama is not the boss of the Secretary of labor? No what? That the Secretary of labor wouldn't do anything to help his boss to win the election? No what? That obama isn't the boss of the head of the census? What exactly is your no this time?

UH no what? That obama is not the boss of the Secretary of labor? No what? That the Secretary of labor wouldn't do anything to help his boss to win the election? No what? That obama isn't the boss of the head of the census? What exactly is your no this time?

I explained it. No ability and the people actually in charge of the numbers have no motivation. It takes at least 2 weeks to calculate all the data. Can't be all changed overnight.

Tell you what....explain to the class the full process from the beginning of collection to publication and when, who, and how you think things are manipulated. I won't hold my breath.

Still waiting on those numbers of baby boomers that actually retired last year and this year.
Still milking that perpetual CON$ervative dumb act. I posted the number for YOU more than once in other threads and you still pretend to not know the number! :eusa_liar:

1.37 million workers left the workforce because they either retired or became disabled in 2011. There is no data available for 2012 yet.

OH yes and here is ed When are you going to produce those numbers of baby boomers who retired in 2011?

I explained it. No ability and the people actually in charge of the numbers have no motivation. It takes at least 2 weeks to calculate all the data. Can't be all changed overnight.

Tell you what....explain to the class the full process from the beginning of collection to publication and when, who, and how you think things are manipulated. I won't hold my breath.
NO you explained nothing the boss is the boss the president is the boss of both departments.

NO you explained nothing the boss is the boss the president is the boss of both departments.

Try again... Explain in detail the full process of collection to publication and when, who, and how you think manipulation occurs.

Again, by the time the President knows what the numbers are, it is too late to change anything.

Try again... Explain in detail the full process of collection to publication and when, who, and how you think manipulation occurs.

Again, by the time the President knows what the numbers are, it is too late to change anything.
Whats to explain obama is the boss of both departments. You can't explain the rapid drop in the unemployment numbers, without using obama's department numbers.

Whats to explain obama is the boss of both departments. You can't explain the rapid drop in the unemployment numbers, without using obama's department numbers.
Explain the how. Surely you don't think Obama can receive the full Employment Situation Report on Thursday night (which is when his advisors get it) and by 8:30 am Friday morning have the report changed to what he wants? You don't really think it's as simple as saying "I don't like 8.6%, change it to 8.3%" and then 2 clicks later it's done? Tell me you're not that stupid.

So assuming you're not that stupid, explain what exactly you think happens.

Your assertions have no factual basis.

Your assertion is not proof positive, and coming from you, never can be, because you lie often.

Give us the facts in full and the process, and account for other possibilities.

If you that, your OP has a chance. Right now it is fail.

Your assertion is not proof positive, and coming from you, never can be, because you lie often.

But, but, that would require actual knowledge and work! How could that possibly be better than just asserting things? You're talking crazy.

OH yes and here is ed When are you going to produce those numbers of baby boomers who retired in 2011?
Again, I posted the 2011 numbers with links for YOU many times in many threads and every time you pretended the numbers were not posted because there was no 2012 data. If you remember, I posted the 2010 totals and the 2011 totals and all you have to do is subtract the 2010 totals from the 2011 totals to get the number of retirees and disabled for 2011. But apparently that simple arithmetic was too hard for you. :eek:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n1/ssb-v71n1.pdf
Table 2 page 78 shows in Dec 2010 there were 34,592,000 Retired workers and 8,205,000 Disabled workers.

Monthly Statistical Snapshot, December 2011
Table 1 beneficiaries 2011
Table 2 shows in Dec 2011 there were 35,599,000 Retired workers and 8,576,000 Disabled workers.

Do the math and you see that more than 1.37 million workers left the workforce in 2011 due to retirement and disability alone, not counting people who died, went back to school, stopped working to take care of a sick or injured family member, left the country, etc. Are you happy now???

Again, I posted the 2011 numbers with links for YOU many times in many threads and every time you pretended the numbers were not posted because there was no 2012 data. If you remember, I posted the 2010 totals and the 2011 totals and all you have to do is subtract the 2010 totals from the 2011 totals to get the number of retirees and disabled for 2011. But apparently that simple arithmetic was too hard for you. :eek:

http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n1/ssb-v71n1.pdf
Table 2 page 78 shows in Dec 2010 there were 34,592,000 Retired workers and 8,205,000 Disabled workers.

Monthly Statistical Snapshot, December 2011
Table 1 beneficiaries 2011
Table 2 shows in Dec 2011 there were 35,599,000 Retired workers and 8,576,000 Disabled workers.

Do the math and you see that more than 1.37 million workers left the workforce in 2011 due to retirement and disability alone, not counting people who died, went back to school, stopped working to take care of a sick or injured family member, left the country, etc. Are you happy now???

Again you post obama's numbers and that does not compute in an election year.

Now that is about the dumbest thing you have ever posted here, and you have posted many dumb things.
Here joke disprove this.
the president is the boss of both departments.

Forum List

Back