How to Discipline Your Wife

I anticipate a bunch of howling anti-Christian bigots will flood this thread now. Oh wait, they're already here.

how many christians practice CDD

504,000 hits on google. Doesn't seem too fringe.

That's seriously surprising. The link I saw this on was linked to another article on this ridiculous "religious freedom" legislation that the Republicans are promoting. But the site looks so amateurish. But when I googled to refind the link, so I could add it in - another site came up that seemed less amateurish.

It doesn't surprise me in the sense that any religion that puts the man over the woman in authority and discipline has the potential legitimize abuse.

That's seriously surprising. The link I saw this on was linked to another article on this ridiculous "religious freedom" legislation that the Republicans are promoting. But the site looks so amateurish. But when I googled to refind the link, so I could add it in - another site came up that seemed less amateurish.

It doesn't surprise me in the sense that any religion that puts the man over the woman in authority and discipline has the potential legitimize abuse.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Effects of religion on occurence of violence have been studied to death (pardon the pun.) Christianity in particular has a nasty track record of cause and effect.

BODY PLEASURE AND THE ORIGINS OF VIOLENCE By James W. Prescott

"It is evident that the Judeo-Christian concept of body pleasure is quite the opposite of that outlined by Aristotle, particularly, the relief of body pain and discomfort through somatosensory pleasure. This denial of somatosensory pleasure in Pauline Christian doctrine has led to alternative forms of 'relief' through such painful stimulations as hair-shirts, self-scourgings, self-mutilations, physical violence against others, and in the non-sensory pleasures of drugs."

tons more at link. everyone should read it whole in part.

Christian CDD 15,900,000 results

Clown Fetishes 2,160,000 results

Clown fetish is fringe, CDD isn't.

Well here's the thing. People who endorse this "women must bow to men because the Bible says so" stuff are really reading things selectively. That's not uncommon with any topic but they cherry pick things. Just as an example they might quote 1 Corinthians 7:4 where it says: "The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband..." but they conveniently ignore the very next line that says "...In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife." Of course, they additionally ignore the context. In 1 Corinthians 7, for example, Paul is not talking about submission in life in general, he is talking about sexuality and marital obligations.

In another example they may point to Ephesians 5:22-24 where it is written: "22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."

But again they ignore: "25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself."

So...you know...as the old saying goes: the Bible is like torturing someone. Beat on it enough and you can get it to say pretty much anything you want.

Ephesians 5 - Follow God s example therefore as - Bible Gateway
1 Corinthians 7 NIV - Concerning Married Life - Now for the - Bible Gateway

Christian CDD 15,900,000 results

Clown Fetishes 2,160,000 results

Clown fetish is fringe, CDD isn't.

Well here's the thing. People who endorse this "women must bow to men because the Bible says so" stuff are really reading things selectively. That's not uncommon with any topic but they cherry pick things. Just as an example they might quote 1 Corinthians 7:4 where it says: "The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband..." but they conveniently ignore the very next line that says "...In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife." Of course, they additionally ignore the context. In 1 Corinthians 7, for example, Paul is not talking about submission in life in general, he is talking about sexuality and marital obligations.

In another example they may point to Ephesians 5:22-24 where it is written: "22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything."

But again they ignore: "25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself."

So...you know...as the old saying goes: the Bible is like torturing someone. Beat on it enough and you can get it to say pretty much anything you want.

Ephesians 5 - Follow God s example therefore as - Bible Gateway
1 Corinthians 7 NIV - Concerning Married Life - Now for the - Bible Gateway

True. It's similar with the Quran. It's what bits you choose to take out of it and how you intepret it. But those passages do give justification to those who think it's their right to dominate women.

Effects of religion on occurence of violence have been studied to death (pardon the pun.) Christianity in particular has a nasty track record of cause and effect.

BODY PLEASURE AND THE ORIGINS OF VIOLENCE By James W. Prescott

"It is evident that the Judeo-Christian concept of body pleasure is quite the opposite of that outlined by Aristotle, particularly, the relief of body pain and discomfort through somatosensory pleasure. This denial of somatosensory pleasure in Pauline Christian doctrine has led to alternative forms of 'relief' through such painful stimulations as hair-shirts, self-scourgings, self-mutilations, physical violence against others, and in the non-sensory pleasures of drugs."

tons more at link. everyone should read it whole in part.

I skimmed it, will need to read it later :)

True. It's similar with the Quran. It's what bits you choose to take out of it and how you intepret it. But those passages do give justification to those who think it's their right to dominate women.

Perhaps, but again, that is only true if you ignore the rest of it. As I said...anyone can go through the Bible and cherry pick verses and even parts of verses and force it to say what you want it to say in order to justify your own actions. But is that actually following the word or forcing the word to follow you?

If you have to discipline her then you should not have married her.

Same goes for women to--If you have to discipline him then you should not have married him.

One thing you need in a mate is the ability to work with them-- anyone you can't tolerate is out of the running, no matter how sexy they are.

PS.
Discipline in terms of "Games(agreed upon cases like sex, roleplying or other 'non-issue" forms of entertainment between the two. Yes, there is more than sex games!) don't count!!

Perhaps, but again, that is only true if you ignore the rest of it. As I said...anyone can go through the Bible and cherry pick verses and even parts of verses and force it to say what you want it to say in order to justify your own actions. But is that actually following the word or forcing the word to follow you?

Interesting distinction. My feeling - and it's my feeling only - is there are many layers of meaning in those books and also mucho contradiction to sort through. You can take it at it's simplest and most literal level, or you can dig deeper and try to find a greater meaning beneath the literal words. The first requires nothing more than rote memory and obedience, the second a lot more effort. I think if you take the first approach it's easy to force the word to follow you and I think that that approach tends to attract those that like to dominate women.

Interesting distinction. My feeling - and it's my feeling only - is there are many layers of meaning in those books and also mucho contradiction to sort through. You can take it at it's simplest and most literal level, or you can dig deeper and try to find a greater meaning beneath the literal words. The first requires nothing more than rote memory and obedience, the second a lot more effort. I think if you take the first approach it's easy to force the word to follow you and I think that that approach tends to attract those that like to dominate women.

Problem with the Bible (beyond being two mutually exclusive religions) is it wasn't intended to be Matthew to Revelations. Each text was written by itself with no intention of ever being pasted together. Let alone becomming a new discrete religion apart from Judaism (everybody in there was Jewish but for a few insignificant exceptions.)

So trying to make sense of the Bible as a whole is a lost cause for several reasons. Biggest being it isn't a book like we might think of it, beginning, middle, and end. But rather lots of individual books in one dust jacket. Plus the ones canonized and in the Bible aren't all that was actually written. There's probably more un-canonized yet authentic outside the official canon than in it.

The website is a cover for people who want to legitimize the SM lifestyle. In other words, they're sexual deviants. Like most progressives.

The fact that she uses the term "a submissive" confirms it. It's a term used in the SM world and refers to those who like to be beaten/disciplined.

I am not sure I would disagree, but I think it's worth pointing out a distinction between motivations. Some people can only grasp the concepts that are on the surface. Perhaps they are simply unable to think abstractly or perhaps they are not too bright or whatever. Regardless, their intellectual capacity can only accept what is apparent. They are not bad people or malicious people. It's just that it's all they can absorb. Then there is another kind (I probably fit in here) that can absorb much deeper concepts but rejects some because after thought, research, and meditation they find that in their heart they simply don't believe it. Therefore they pick and choose based upon what they can truly accept within themselves. But it comes from a pure place in their hearts. They are not trying to cherry pick, it's just that they say "well I can believe this but I aint buying that".

Then there is the third type that also can understand and think deeper but their personal agenda outweighs their desire for spiritual growth. It is these people that know (or at least have the capacity for understanding) yet choose to ignore what is inconvenient for them. Those people are, in my opinion only, a real problem and they give people of faith a pretty bad name sometimes. I would characterize those who endorse a position of domination over women to be in this third category most of the time...but that's just my opinion.

Seriously?

In order to describe to you what is Christian Domestic Discipline, I'd first like to start with what it is not.

Christian Domestic Discipline is not domestic violence. Neither is it abuse. It is an arrangement between two adults who share the belief that the husband is the head of the household and with that position comes the right to enforce his authority.

Christian Domestic Discipline is not BDSM. It is not a game. While we do not deny its sometimes erotic nature, it is ultimately not for erotic purposes. It is often much different than the domestic discipline you will find outside of the Christian faith.

A Christian Domestic Discipline marriage is set up according to the guidelines set forth in the Holy Bible, meaning the husband has authority over his wife within the bounds of God's Word and enforces that authority, if need be, through discipline including but not limited to spanking. He uses his authority to keep peace and order in his home, protect his marriage, and help his wife mature in her Christian walk.

In a true Christian Domestic Discipline marriage, discipline is tempered with the knowledge that the husband must answer to God for his actions and decisions in his position of authority.

This is so weird...is it meant to be a joke?

Isn't Christianity just dogmatic masochism anyway?

Seriously?

In order to describe to you what is Christian Domestic Discipline, I'd first like to start with what it is not.

Christian Domestic Discipline is not domestic violence. Neither is it abuse. It is an arrangement between two adults who share the belief that the husband is the head of the household and with that position comes the right to enforce his authority.

Christian Domestic Discipline is not BDSM. It is not a game. While we do not deny its sometimes erotic nature, it is ultimately not for erotic purposes. It is often much different than the domestic discipline you will find outside of the Christian faith.

A Christian Domestic Discipline marriage is set up according to the guidelines set forth in the Holy Bible, meaning the husband has authority over his wife within the bounds of God's Word and enforces that authority, if need be, through discipline including but not limited to spanking. He uses his authority to keep peace and order in his home, protect his marriage, and help his wife mature in her Christian walk.

In a true Christian Domestic Discipline marriage, discipline is tempered with the knowledge that the husband must answer to God for his actions and decisions in his position of authority.

This is so weird...is it meant to be a joke?

Isn't Christianity just dogmatic masochism anyway?

That's certainly what some would like you to believe.

I can't say the issue of disciplining my wife has never come up. I married a woman who doesn't need discipline. I didn't marry a child.

Forum List

Back