How Stupid IS This?

I don't think it's a good idea, but if Russia is given permission to fly over us, we should get the same permission to fly over Russia.

Tit for tat.

Can't they use Google Maps, or take pictures on a regular commercial flight?

You can't get good enough resolution on Google maps, and places that are classified are blurred out. Remember when Cheney had his quarters blacked out on them?

And, trying to take useful pictures out of a commercial window will not give the resolution or the angles that you need for good intel.

I don't think it's a good idea, but if Russia is given permission to fly over us, we should get the same permission to fly over Russia.

Tit for tat.
Treaty on Open Skies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it was Bush Sr. that signed this treaty, and it was under Jr. that it went into effect (2002).

Interesting.
the question i have will it be ok'd under Obama?.....

It was ok'd under Bush Sr., went into effect under Bush Jr., so because it was already in place, Obama may have to agree to flights.

russia has sattelites which could do this job, imo. US too.

You get better detail and resolution with a surveillance aircraft. Besides, satellites can be tracked and it is known when they will be overhead (orbital tracking), so you have time to cover or hide whatever it is when the satellite is overhead.

I remember a friend of mine who was a computer tech for the Navy telling me a story of how their unit found out when a satellite was going to be overhead, so they made their site look like a launch site for missiles, with hoses and tarps making it look like it was real.

He said that his commander got a phone call shortly after the satellite went overhead and it wasn't pretty.

Tit for tat.
Treaty on Open Skies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So it was Bush Sr. that signed this treaty, and it was under Jr. that it went into effect (2002).

Interesting.
the question i have will it be ok'd under Obama?.....

It was ok'd under Bush Sr., went into effect under Bush Jr., so because it was already in place, Obama may have to agree to flights.
without us doing the same thing to them i would have some questions to ask....

America signed the Treaty, Billy...The stupid part is signing it, then fudging. And I find it hard to believe we aren't either doing same or trying to do same. America never trusted Russia, and I figure the feeling is mutual. So here we go again...put to the test of whether we will honor our word or not

I would roundfile it instantly.
Billy, I think it probably sounded like a good idea at the time. Those were the days when we were trying to defuse the possibility of a nuclear war and to disarm. So openness was encouraged. As I recall, both countries sent teams to inspect the other nation's facilities and confirm shut-downs. But the question now is...does our word mean anything?

America signed the Treaty, Billy...The stupid part is signing it, then fudging. And I find it hard to believe we aren't either doing same or trying to do same. America never trusted Russia, and I figure the feeling is mutual. So here we go again...put to the test of whether we will honor our word or not

Billy, I think it probably sounded like a good idea at the time. Those were the days when we were trying to defuse the possibility of a nuclear war and to disarm. So openness was encouraged. As I recall, both countries sent teams to inspect the other nation's facilities and confirm shut-downs. But the question now is...does our word mean anything?

One's word does not extend to an obligation of slow suicide. I would trash any such treaty.

One's word does not extend to an obligation of slow suicide. I would trash any such treaty.
Billy, the Constitution and Bill of Rights is 'our word'. The world has circled the sun 240 times, nations have come and gone, cultures have evolved many times over, needs have changed..yet you advocate we remain true to those words. However, times dictated (IYHO) that 4A was bad for us because a bunch of thugs halfway around the world are a threat thru our communications, something not thought of in 1776. OTOH, 2A, when we are losing about 100 citizens per day to gun violence is not enough reason to restrict ownership and capacity to kill our own. This is an old contention between us we both know well. I bring it up because there is a confusion between us about keeping our word about what is important to us. Who will believe us and our American dream if we are so fickle..keeping some to our detriment and striking others for our convenience.

Billy, the Constitution and Bill of Rights is 'our word'. The world has circled the sun 240 times, nations have come and gone, cultures have evolved many times over, needs have changed..yet you advocate we remain true to those words. However, times dictated (IYHO) that 4A was bad for us because a bunch of thugs halfway around the world are a threat thru our communications, something not thought of in 1776. OTOH, 2A, when we are losing about 100 citizens per day to gun violence is not enough reason to restrict ownership and capacity to kill our own. This is an old contention between us we both know well. I bring it up because there is a confusion between us about keeping our word about what is important to us. Who will believe us and our American dream if we are so fickle..keeping some to our detriment and striking others for our convenience.

Keeping one's word does not mean that agreements can never be negated.

Keeping one's word does not mean that agreements can never be negated.
Then build in sunsets, or re-negotiate, but don't just ignore and break our word. Our enemies know our Constitution as well as we do, maybe even better in some cases. If we are not true to our own word as a nation, what ARE we?

Forum List

Back