How Stupid IS This?

I would roundfile it instantly.
Billy, I think it probably sounded like a good idea at the time. Those were the days when we were trying to defuse the possibility of a nuclear war and to disarm. So openness was encouraged. As I recall, both countries sent teams to inspect the other nation's facilities and confirm shut-downs. But the question now is...does our word mean anything?

One's word does not extend to an obligation of slow suicide. I would trash any such treaty.
Billy, the Constitution and Bill of Rights is 'our word'. The world has circled the sun 240 times, nations have come and gone, cultures have evolved many times over, needs have changed..yet you advocate we remain true to those words. However, times dictated (IYHO) that 4A was bad for us because a bunch of thugs halfway around the world are a threat thru our communications, something not thought of in 1776. OTOH, 2A, when we are losing about 100 citizens per day to gun violence is not enough reason to restrict ownership and capacity to kill our own. This is an old contention between us we both know well. I bring it up because there is a confusion between us about keeping our word about what is important to us. Who will believe us and our American dream if we are so fickle..keeping some to our detriment and striking others for our convenience.

Keeping one's word does not mean that agreements can never be negated.
Then build in sunsets, or re-negotiate, but don't just ignore and break our word. Our enemies know our Constitution as well as we do, maybe even better in some cases. If we are not true to our own word as a nation, what ARE we?

The government's word to the American people takes precedence over the government's word to foreign hostiles.

They are elected with national security as their foremost constitutional duty. As you know, I consider the Geneva conventions a distinct disadvantage considering today's realities.

Billy, I think it probably sounded like a good idea at the time. Those were the days when we were trying to defuse the possibility of a nuclear war and to disarm. So openness was encouraged. As I recall, both countries sent teams to inspect the other nation's facilities and confirm shut-downs. But the question now is...does our word mean anything?

One's word does not extend to an obligation of slow suicide. I would trash any such treaty.
Billy, the Constitution and Bill of Rights is 'our word'. The world has circled the sun 240 times, nations have come and gone, cultures have evolved many times over, needs have changed..yet you advocate we remain true to those words. However, times dictated (IYHO) that 4A was bad for us because a bunch of thugs halfway around the world are a threat thru our communications, something not thought of in 1776. OTOH, 2A, when we are losing about 100 citizens per day to gun violence is not enough reason to restrict ownership and capacity to kill our own. This is an old contention between us we both know well. I bring it up because there is a confusion between us about keeping our word about what is important to us. Who will believe us and our American dream if we are so fickle..keeping some to our detriment and striking others for our convenience.

Then build in sunsets, or re-negotiate, but don't just ignore and break our word. Our enemies know our Constitution as well as we do, maybe even better in some cases. If we are not true to our own word as a nation, what ARE we?

The government's word to the American people takes precedence over the government's word to foreign hostiles.

They are elected with national security as their foremost constitutional duty. As you know, I consider the Geneva conventions a distinct disadvantage considering today's realities.
Then we are nothing. Our judgement at Nuremberg a farce, a 'do as I say, not as I do' exercise in hypocrisy. And all Geneva Convention does is expose us as liars. I am speaking of agreements we broke without explaining or considering the consequences. This may be generational, billy, but we didn't change our word...we broke it! I wanted us to be better than that.

Then we are nothing.

Not the we of whom I am a part. We've saved the planet more than once, and are the last bastion against the recurrence of Soviet and Nazi styled environments now developing in the Middle East and China.

I want us to be realistic, and where it comes to dealing with hostiles, I am not in the least interested in equality.

Then we are nothing.

Not the we of whom I am a part. We've saved the planet more than once, and are the last bastion against the recurrence of Soviet and Nazi styled environments now developing in the Middle East and China.

I want us to be realistic, and where it comes to dealing with hostiles, I am not in the least interested in equality.
Ah, hubris!

Then we are nothing.

Ah, hubris!

What is excessive about my statement?

Forum List

Back