My encounter with a convenience store clerk on Thanksgiving day

So on my way to a Thanksgiving dinner, and needed to pick up a few last minute items at a store.
Stopped at a convenience store, not a corporate one, but a local chain. Clerk appeared to be by herself, young lady 20ish.
I was the only one in the store, and when I got up to the counter, I mentioned happy Thanksgiving, and I was sorry she had to work on Thanksgiving, and here was her exact reply.

"You're sorry, and yet, here you are! As long as people keep stopping and coming in on holidays like this, the owner will keep staying open. If people would DO THE RIGHT THING, and stay away, they would not be open, and I could be home!"

I was a bit taken back by this. She's not wrong of course, but she's the one who chose to work for a business that stays open on holidays.
Not exactly an ambassador for her company.
That's not an attitude an employee should be taking. When I worked for a TELCO, I had a boss that was surprised that customers always said how pro-company I was. He asked me about it, I told him that on company premises I was a pain because I was trying to make things better for the company and the employees, but outside the gates I represented my employer and wouldn't badmouth the company under any circumstances. He never understood.

CA is a right to work state. All I know of pay 2X on Holidays. I was getting 2X on part time jobs during College.
Many private sector employees who work on holidays may qualify for holiday pay (150% of hourly rate), or get paid days off, but it's up to the employer and may be included in your employment contract. Federal legal holidays include New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, and Christmas, just to name a few.

I worked in hospitals where nobody ever complained about having to work on holidays

I guess the idiot in the store, if she worked in a hospital, would rather people just chose not to be sick or have accidents on the days she wanted off.

What if there was a fire in her dwelling? Does she want to hear the firefighter whine about having to work on the holiday?

well there's something we've in common OPJQ

~S~

Many private sector employees who work on holidays may qualify for holiday pay (150% of hourly rate), or get paid days off, but it's up to the employer and may be included in your employment contract. Federal legal holidays include New Year's Day, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, and Christmas, just to name a few.
Last Vet's day i worked while everything was closed.....w/the Vets..... :rolleyes: ~S~

So on my way to a Thanksgiving dinner, and needed to pick up a few last minute items at a store.
Stopped at a convenience store, not a corporate one, but a local chain. Clerk appeared to be by herself, young lady 20ish.
I was the only one in the store, and when I got up to the counter, I mentioned happy Thanksgiving, and I was sorry she had to work on Thanksgiving, and here was her exact reply.

"You're sorry, and yet, here you are! As long as people keep stopping and coming in on holidays like this, the owner will keep staying open. If people would DO THE RIGHT THING, and stay away, they would not be open, and I could be home!"

I was a bit taken back by this. She's not wrong of course, but she's the one who chose to work for a business that stays open on holidays.
I usually thank people who work holidays.

I'm a retired FF/EMT

brought a lotta folks into hospitals on holidays, etc etc OPJQ

the charge nurse , if understaffed & overwhelmed, would give us some menial task to keep us around.....

~S~

Thank you for serving!

Cool story about the charge nurse.

I remember one holiday, we had a high-and-mighty FBI director or something -- I recognize his name when I see it -- bought the GIGANTIC 10 pound box of Dilletante or Godiva chocolate for each shift for like three days! Man, were WE pampered!

Did you get fed well by the night nurses? Night nurses always bring in the BEST goodies!

Last edited:
Speaking of encounters with store clerks......i stopped at a Chevron Station in St. Petersburg, Fl. a couple of days ago...I needed to go to the bathroom.

When I went inside....there was no one there...but the clerk..... proceeded towards the bathroom and the clerk tells me the bathroom is for employees only....there was no such sign on the door....obviously she was irritated because I obviously was not going to buy any gas.

I replied ...'Oh Really' too bad i gotta go.

As I was closing the door on the bathroom she yelled you f.....g asshole.

On my out she said.......'do not ever come in here again'.

Also...I do quite a bit of travelling and I have found that many businesses ...mostly small stores...will tell you their bathroom is out of order...the problem for these small businesses i think is that they just do not want to spend the money to keep up their toilets, having them cleaned etc.

But a Chevron Station? Outrageous

Speaking of encounters with store clerks......i stopped at a Chevron Station in St. Petersburg, Fl. a couple of days ago...I needed to go to the bathroom.

When I went inside....there was no one there...but the clerk..... proceeded towards the bathroom and the clerk tells me the bathroom is for employees only....there was no such sign on the door....obviously she was irritated because I obviously was not going to buy any gas.

I replied ...'Oh Really' too bad i gotta go.

As I was closing the door on the bathroom she yelled you f.....g asshole.

On my out she said.......'do not ever come in here again'.

Also...I do quite a bit of travelling and I have found that many businesses ...mostly small stores...will tell you their bathroom is out of order...the problem for these small businesses i think is that they just do not want to spend the money to keep up their toilets, having them cleaned etc.

But a Chevron Station? Outrageous

I've seen some pretty foul ones, but there's never been a filling station that didn't have a public restroom.

Whew! Small towns in Mississippi? YIKES!!!!!!!!!! But technically, it was a restroom.

Did you tell her she made the decision to work there and if she doesnt like it she should find another job?

Our family decided to go out for Thanksgiving dinner today. First time we ever did it. We just decided to hell with the hassle of spending two or three days preparing the meal and then substantial time cleaning up.

The restaurant we went to had a very friendly staff. The food was great. It was actually a great experience and then we all met back at our house for watching a little football.

The meal was expensive so the owner of the restaurant made some good money. We left the very friendly waiter a very good tip so it was worth her time.

Everybody is happy and no lectures.

Frikin bitch. I'd report her to the owner.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..

Ironically, as I sit here reading this, I'm listening to a guy on the radio extolling the relative customer service virtues of different establishments he has patronized, and he has so many glowing comments about this business:

Of course, one actually has to be a MAN to appreciate the kind of service this business offers. Surprising, to find superlative customer service in a shithole like Minneapolis.

Nah; she was still there working even if not happy about it. She made an honest comment; why fire her for that?

Greg
No!! She DID NOT make an 'honest comment!' She insulted the customer, telling him he should have done the 'RIGHT THING' and should have stayed home!! Who is she to tell anyone what the 'right thing' to do is? Narcissistic bitch.

Forum List

Back