CDZ How partisan politics narrows your thinking

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
To steal from a post of mine on another thread: I maintain, and I'm more sure of this than ever, that it is an affliction that literally distorts perceptions and thought processes. I came to the conclusion that it is an affliction because it clearly infects people who are otherwise perfectly intelligent.

And if I'm right, then the afflicted are actually being perfectly honest and sincere in what they say. Those are the thoughts that are going through their minds, it's not an act. Like an old woman at a revival meeting or a crazed teenager on the streets of Damascus, they're not thinking rationally, but they are perfectly sincere. Hence the passion. Makes it tougher.

Interesting piece here: How Partisan Politics Narrows Your Thinking

Loyalty to a political party often trumps reason and logic in numerous ways:
  • We recognize that stereotypes aren’t accurate within our own group, but we’re still inclined to generalize about our adversaries.
  • To remain loyal to our party we overly simplify issues instead of giving ample consideration to points from both sides.
  • We justify and rationalize when it’s our guy.
  • We’re forced to lump together several unrelated issues.
  • We may feel politically homeless, unable to embrace either party’s platform.
  • We fail to recognize that the labels don’t really fit the political parties.
  • We simply rely on our party’s reputation rather than impartially evaluating its actions.

A Pew Report found that combined, “consistent liberals” and “consistent conservatives” make up only 20% of Americans. Yet, unsurprisingly, these are the people most likely to run for office and initiate political discussion. This exaggerates political polarization and limits opportunities for open-minded dialogue between the rest of us. We’ve allowed the fervent minority to drive us into one of two ideological camps, or to become disenchanted and disengaged from politics altogether.

We may never be able to convince solidly loyal party members to have an open mind. But the other 80% of us need to think for ourselves.

To steal from a post of mine on another thread: I maintain, and I'm more sure of this than ever, that it is an affliction that literally distorts perceptions and thought processes. I came to the conclusion that it is an affliction because it clearly infects people who are otherwise perfectly intelligent.

And if I'm right, then the afflicted are actually being perfectly honest and sincere in what they say. Those are the thoughts that are going through their minds, it's not an act. Like an old woman at a revival meeting or a crazed teenager on the streets of Damascus, they're not thinking rationally, but they are perfectly sincere. Hence the passion. Makes it tougher.

• We recognize that stereotypes aren’t accurate within our own group, but we’re still inclined to generalize about our adversaries.
  • To remain loyal to our party we overly simplify issues instead of giving ample consideration to points from both sides.
  • We simply rely on our party’s reputation rather than impartially evaluating its actions.

A Pew Report found that combined, “consistent liberals” and “consistent conservatives” make up only 20% of Americans. Yet, unsurprisingly, these are the people most likely to run for office and initiate political discussion. This exaggerates political polarization and limits opportunities for open-minded dialogue between the rest of us. We’ve allowed the fervent minority to drive us into one of two ideological camps, or to become disenchanted and disengaged from politics altogether.

We may never be able to convince solidly loyal party members to have an open mind. But the other 80% of us need to think for ourselves.
It is the true meaning of identity politics. Only one grade below nationalism, which also trumps reason and logic.

Logic certainly is lacking in partisans of either party. Clearly both parties are very much alike, yet the partisans can't see it. The pols of either party like to scream about their differences purely to dupe Americans, but at the end of the day, both parties are all about enriching and empowering themselves. They are criminals after all.

Or they are the only ones who think about the issues to any degree to make the arguments to start with.

But the reality is, 45% always votes Republican and 48% always votes Democrat and at very worst, it's 7% of the electorate that is in flux.

And by "in flux", I mean, "The bad muslims scared me so I'm going to vote for Bush even though I think he's an idiot" to "I know Trump is a buffoon, but I'm going to vote to Gary Johnson because emails or something.'

Oh, yeah this is the 7% you totally want to pander to. Because they've put so much thought into this.

Last edited:
Is Mac still whining that other liberals don't see scary Muslims in their closet?

Or they are the only ones who think about the issues to any degree to make the arguments to start with.

But the reality is, 45% always votes Republican and 48% always votes Democrat and at very worst, it's 7% of the electorate that is in flux.

And by "in flux", I mean, "The bad muslims scared me so I'm going to vote for Bush even though I think he's an idiot" to "I know Trump is a buffoon, but I'm going to vote to Gary Johnson because emails or something.'

Oh, yeah this is the 7% you totally want to pander to.
Hey Joe...the OP is NOT about Muslims.

Logic certainly is lacking in partisans of either party. Clearly both parties are very much alike, yet the partisans can't see it. The pols of either party like to scream about their differences purely to dupe Americans, but at the end of the day, both parties are all about enriching and empowering themselves. They are criminals after all.

Sigh.

Here's the real problem with politicians.

They give us what we want.

We want government to do all this stuff for us, but we don't want to pay for it.

And sadly, politicians on both sides indulge us.

It really doesn't get more complicated than that.

Now, to a degree, do both sides find fringe issues like "Men in dresses" to get us all upset about so they don't have to have the hard conversation about how we keep paying for Granny's Social Security when she's in her late 80 when the assumptions were she'd die by the time she was 72?

Yes. Yes, they do.

And we let them do it, even the moderates.

It actually has more to do with the inability to focus on the issues themselves. Media is allowed to frame or reframe the issues and by doing so controls the solutions.

Could be... you don't fit in with the extreme leftwing Democrat trend and you can't get over all those years of blaming the right .. but you'd like to think you're balanced..

It actually has more to do with the inability to focus on the issues themselves. Media is allowed to frame or reframe the issues and by doing so controls the solutions.

This is actually a good point. When you have 24 news channels who appeal to niche audiences and have to fill 24 hours a day with content, and who wants to spend money on correspondents and reporters, you do get lots of talking heads talking endlessly about that one kid in the dress who wants to use the girl's locker room like that is a critical issue.

This is actually a good point. When you have 24 news channels who appeal to niche audiences and have to fill 24 hours a day with content, and who wants to spend money on correspondents and reporters, you do get lots of talking heads talking endlessly about that one kid in the dress who wants to use the girl's locker room like that is a critical issue.

Ya, because you have talked to the kid, the kid's parents, the school, the neighbors, and it's time to bring in the fillers. That said, none of that should be confused with news. Even so, they are conglomerates and if so and so sits on the board here and also sits on that board then there are things that are critically important and they don't want anyone paying attention to them. So, if we could all just focus on the transgender kid that'd be great.

Sigh.

Here's the real problem with politicians.

They give us what we want.

We want government to do all this stuff for us, but we don't want to pay for it.

And sadly, politicians on both sides indulge us.

It really doesn't get more complicated than that.

Now, to a degree, do both sides find fringe issues like "Men in dresses" to get us all upset about so they don't have to have the hard conversation about how we keep paying for Granny's Social Security when she's in her late 80 when the assumptions were she'd die by the time she was 72?

Yes. Yes, they do.

And we let them do it, even the moderates.
Oh damn Joe. You really don't get.

Politicians do not give ME what I want. They may give you what you want, but I can't for the life of me, know what that is.

With few exceptions, politicians are criminals. I don't like criminals. Why do you?

you know, Mac... I like you. we have the odd interesting conversation. but let's not pretend you're non-partisan. every time you use the word "regressive" improperly, you're partisan.

have a great day hon

you know, Mac... I like you. we have the odd interesting conversation. but let's not pretend you're non-partisan. every time you use the word "regressive" improperly, you're partisan.

have a great day hon
Anybody can be a regressive.

Partisan Politics does the most damage in narrowing one's thinking through establishing the idea anything the crooks and tyrants in Washington DC have to offer is better than something you can do yourself, of your own will, and that any of them amount to something more than a gaggle of useless pundits for political pandering.

It establishes the idea we need politicians or agents of the federal government to intervene in our lives and instruct us in how we should conduct our personal business or protect us from their foolish meddling.

you know, Mac... I like you. we have the odd interesting conversation. but let's not pretend you're non-partisan. every time you use the word "regressive" improperly, you're partisan. have a great day hon
You're welcome to review the second line of my sig.

There's a huge difference between being partisan on individual issues, and obediently and blindly following a larger ideology.

You have a great day too, hon.

Last edited:
you know, Mac... I like you. we have the odd interesting conversation. but let's not pretend you're non-partisan. every time you use the word "regressive" improperly, you're partisan. have a great day hon
You're welcome to review the second line of my sig.

There's a huge difference between being partisan on individual issues, and obediently and blindly following a larger ideology.

You have a great day too, hon.

and I don't fall in line with every view of the DNC... you, of all people, should know that.

but disrespectfully misusing a word in a way it's misused by the hacks is a partisan act intended to place the word for the actual policies of the far right and try to make it applicable to the left... like when certain morons start talking about the KKK being a democratic thing (which it probably used to be but hasn't been since 1968)

cheers.

Forum List

Back