How occupy DC dealt with a table filled with job applications

Yes I know that but I took the job that was available in the marketplace at the time I graduated. It wasn't what I went to school for but it at least it was something.....better than leeching off my parents or crying @ some CEOs about how much they make.

I eventually got into the corporate side of management there after I worked my way up to store manager. You have to start somewhere and the vast majority of the time EVERYONE has to start at the bottom and prove themselves.

I made the decision to go to college and take loans and its not someone else's fault that when I graduated I had debt and couldn't find a $20/hr+ job....so my advice to OWS is buck up and earn the compensation you want and stop blaming others for your own decisions.

So ... why did you go to college on money you didn't have exactly? To get a 10.25 /hr job at walgreens? Getting back to my question - you don't think you'd have just been 4 years ahead of everyone else at Walgreens had you skipped college and gone straight into Walgreens?

I mean really - was it a good investment? People go to college to get ahead, not to start at the bottom. If you're going to start at the bottom, may as well NOT GO TO COLLEGE - right?

Or was the thousands you borrowed and the 4 years you spent NOT advancing your career at Walgreens worth learning all that stuff in college just for knowing its sake?

Did your parents or teachers encourage you to go to college? What was the line they used, did it sound something like "you need to go to college so you can get a job just as good as the one you can get without going to college!"

All investments, including furthering your education, contain risks that the investment wont pay out as much as you want it to.

I went because I wanted to go.
I didn't suggest you were forced. I was just asking whether you thought it was worth it.
My plan was, and still is, to own my own business one day which is why I went for business.

And you learned more about business in college than you have working your way up Walgreen's corporate ladder? Come on man! Does the state you live in require you have a college degree to have a business license?
I'm still glad I went to college because I learned a lot of good information and a lot about myself as a person.

You took out loans to learn about yourself as a person? Seriously?

You sure you cut out to be a businessman?

15 years after graduating I've almost saved up enough money by living well below my means to be able to start up a business for myself.

IF YOU'D SKIPPED COLLEGE YOU'D ALREADY BE THERE, WOULDN'T YOU?

To adress your point, you are right if I went right into the workforce out of college I would be 4 years ahead of where I am now....but then again maybe the time management skills, personal enlightenment, and general knowledge I gained in college have allowed me to get further ahead than I would have at this point if I didn't go.

Personal enlightenment and general knowledge anyone can get at the library - or these days - online.

Time management skills are things that people learn without going to college. Maybe at 18 you'd have had horrible time management skills and been fired from your first job at Walgreens 3 months in for habitual tardiness. You learn you lesson the hard way, Rite Aid picks you up, and there you go. I guarantee that being in the workforce can teach you "time management skills" a lot quicker than 4 years of college!

Yes I know that but I took the job that was available in the marketplace at the time I graduated. It wasn't what I went to school for but it at least it was something.....better than leeching off my parents or crying @ some CEOs about how much they make.

I eventually got into the corporate side of management there after I worked my way up to store manager. You have to start somewhere and the vast majority of the time EVERYONE has to start at the bottom and prove themselves.

I made the decision to go to college and take loans and its not someone else's fault that when I graduated I had debt and couldn't find a $20/hr+ job....so my advice to OWS is buck up and earn the compensation you want and stop blaming others for your own decisions.

So ... why did you go to college on money you didn't have exactly? To get a 10.25 /hr job at walgreens? Getting back to my question - you don't think you'd have just been 4 years ahead of everyone else at Walgreens had you skipped college and gone straight into Walgreens?

I mean really - was it a good investment? People go to college to get ahead, not to start at the bottom. If you're going to start at the bottom, may as well NOT GO TO COLLEGE - right?

Or was the thousands you borrowed and the 4 years you spent NOT advancing your career at Walgreens worth learning all that stuff in college just for knowing its sake?

Did your parents or teachers encourage you to go to college? What was the line they used, did it sound something like "you need to go to college so you can get a job just as good as the one you can get without going to college!"

All investments, including furthering your education, contain risks that the investment wont pay out as much as you want it to.

I went because I wanted to go. My plan was, and still is, to own my own business one day which is why I went for business.

I'm still glad I went to college because I learned a lot of good information and a lot about myself as a person. 15 years after graduating I've almost saved up enough money by living well below my means to be able to start up a business for myself. I would like to get a bit more saved first though so I have enough money to pay my bills and eat for a full year just in case it doesn't start out profitable (which it probably wont).

I was encouraged by parents, friends, family, and my high school teachers/guidance councelor to go to college. I actually got into Bently, Bryant, and Babson (i was going for business) but I figured out if I went to those schools the amount of money I would have to borrow wasn't worth the risk of the degree not panning out. I went to my state's university instead.

Going to college isn't a guarantee of anything and some who encouraged me to go told me this before going.

I have been able, since graduating, to pay off all my debts by living below my income level.

To adress your point, you are right if I went right into the workforce out of college I would be 4 years ahead of where I am now....but then again maybe the time management skills, personal enlightenment, and general knowledge I gained in college have allowed me to get further ahead than I would have at this point if I didn't go.

To me it was still worth it.

I dont work for walgreens anymore, i left the company 8 years ago and am doing something else totally unrrelated...i'm a mechanic now because that is the type of business I wanted to open.

You are going a bit too crazy on my in your response and you cut apart my post which, I know you didn't know this, drives me batshit insane. :lol:

In the future please just leave me in context and write out your response, I can read several paragraphs without forgetting what I said or what was said before ;)

Last edited:

I went because I wanted to go. My plan was, and still is, to own my own business one day which is why I went for business.

I'm still glad I went to college because I learned a lot of good information and a lot about myself as a person. 15 years after graduating I've almost saved up enough money by living well below my means to be able to start up a business for myself. I would like to get a bit more saved first though so I have enough money to pay my bills and eat for a full year just in case it doesn't start out profitable (which it probably wont).

I was encouraged by parents, friends, family, and my high school teachers/guidance councelor to go to college. I actually got into Bently, Bryant, and Babson (i was going for business) but I figured out if I went to those schools the amount of money I would have to borrow wasn't worth the risk of the degree not panning out. I went to my state's university instead.

Going to college isn't a guarantee of anything and some who encouraged me to go told me this before going.

I have been able, since graduating, to pay off all my debts by living below my income level.

I dont work for walgreens anymore, i left the company 8 years ago and am doing something else totally unrrelated...i'm a mechanic now because that is the type of business I wanted to open.

You are going a bit too crazy on my in your response and you cut apart my post which, I know you didn't know this, drives me batshit insane. :lol:

In the future please just leave me in context and write out your response, I can read several paragraphs without forgetting what I said or what was said before ;)

And you needed to go to college to open an autoshop? come on man! You'd already have it if you had skipped the student loans!

Oh poop is just gaming you with his rhetoric...it's a common practice from the left wing fringe.

I still haven't heard a valid justification for people who are complaining for jobs not filling out applications for jobs.

Apparently, jobs that start at $50,000/yr are not well paying enough.

I've raised 3 children (1 still living with me), helped one with college, and dealt with the financial fallout of a divorce since 2001... all on about $50,000/yr.

fuck 'em.
I think that woman who said "we don't do that" and "we won't work there".. Summed up and more or less defined the OWS movement. C-R-A-P.

I still haven't heard a valid justification for people who are complaining for jobs not filling out applications for jobs.

I've raised 3 children (1 still living with me), helped one with college, and dealt with the financial fallout of a divorce since 2001... all on about $50,000/yr.

fuck 'em.
I think that woman who said "we don't do that" and "we won't work there".. Summed up and more or less defined the OWS movement. C-R-A-P.

That is the part that bothered me the most. Here is a decent paying job with a 401k and health benefits..... "I WONT do that job"

Pfffft please, its called a JOB for a reason ;)

Oh poop is just gaming you with his rhetoric...it's a common practice from the left wing fringe.

He seems like he has (or she) a lot of opinions and feels strongly about them. I just wish I could have a normal discussion without all that empty and unrelated rhetoric.

fuck 'em.

That is the part that bothered me the most. Here is a decent paying job with a 401k and health benefits..... "I WONT do that job"

One would think, that when faced with debt and in need of a job, and there are possibilities presented to apply for said job, one would gladly fill out an offered application for said job presented, regardless of the nature of the job you may very well be qualified to obtain.

It speaks volumes as to what these protesters are really after......handouts and debt forgiveness, nothing more.

One would think, that when faced with debt and in need of a job, and there are possibilities presented to apply for said job, one would gladly fill out an offered application for said job presented, regardless of the nature of the job you may very well be qualified to obtain.

It speaks volumes as to what these protesters are really after......handouts and debt forgiveness, nothing more.

Thats why I took the stockroom job at walgreens for $10.25/hour even though I went to college for Business Admin and have a BBA. I reasearched walgreens growth potential and knew they were expanding and figured if I prove myself to the right people when they expand maybe I can move up.....and I did because I busted my ass more than everyone else and made an impression on the store manager, when his assistant manager was pulled to be a store manager of a new store he suggested me (and i had mentioned the interest and my degree as often as the opportunity allowed ;)).

Thats why I took the stockroom job at walgreens for $10.25/hour even though I went to college for Business Admin and have a BBA. I reasearched walgreens growth potential and knew they were expanding and figured if I prove myself to the right people when they expand maybe I can move up.....and I did because I busted my ass more than everyone else and made an impression on the store manager, when his assistant manager was pulled to be a store manager of a new store he suggested me (and i had mentioned the interest and my degree as often as the opportunity allowed ;)).
Yea yeah yeah...According to the lib/OWS template, you became a slave to the big corporation....
The lib/OWS would tell you that you should have demanded your student loan be forgiven AND you should have been paid twice as much for being a stock room worker.

Forum List

Back