How Much Should A Teacher Get Paid?

So shintao, what do you think about my idea to give teachers a 1% royalty on the future earnings of their pupils?

Should work out pretty well over time. They would be like insurance agents.

I think it should be 5%, and as a bonus, not wages and benefits, which I feel corporations should be responsible for paying, seeing they are the benefactors of education.

The bonus incentive would make them work harder to insure every student had a maximum of knowledge between his ears.

A bonus for WHAT exactly? Mediocrity? Businesses are in the business for profit...and if they profit everyone does...REAL 'Spreading the wealth'...

Not demanding it for non-performance as you seem to portend. Mediocrity isn't profitable for anyone in any sector of society.

Percy is talking royalities as a % of what a student makes in the workplace due to his education. The education itself, given by the teacher should be paid by employers who benefit from that education. The state shouldn't be paying for educators, corporations should.

And should there be a cap on how much that can get paid?

How much is a teacher worth in your opinion?

Less and less everyday. How much does a teacher get paid in Brazil, Mexico, India, Turkey, China or the Soviet Union?

Google BRIC nations.

WTF.com!?!?!

Are we to compare every facet of our lives to 2nd and 3rd World countries now?

Are you insane?!??

The avg teacher pay in my district is 55K. The avg home price is 300K. Its hard for unmarried people.

Marc - I had a professor in grad school who claimed that the public would like teachers paid "slightly less" than the avg salary in the community. Hence - teachers is wealthy districts are usually paid a lot more. (As long as it's less than everyone else). Makes sense.
An honest answer.

So do you think this is a good thing?

Riiiight. Only the answer that enforces your worldview and lets you advance your agenda is "honest".

:bsflag:

What are you so afraid of, that you can't sack up and answer any of the very honest and logical answers that involve actually pricing teacher salaries according to standard job market influences? Concerned that someone might expose the fact that you have no idea what standard job market influences on salaries actually ARE?

Ha ha. Guess who is the highest paid public employee in the state of NJ?

Rutgers football coach - 2 fucking million a year!
Does that seem right to you?

NJ sure has their priorities in order.

:rolleyes:

How should I know if it's right or not? I have no idea what Rutgers' budget is, or where their funding comes from. It's NJ, so it's probably stupid, but it honestly depends on factors of which I have no knowledge.

Only shitforbrains leftists run around making determinations of the "rightness" or "wrongness" of someone's salary based solely on the dollar amount.

How should I know if it's right or not? I have no idea what Rutgers' budget is, or where their funding comes from. It's NJ, so it's probably stupid, but it honestly depends on factors of which I have no knowledge.

Only shitforbrains leftists run around making determinations of the "rightness" or "wrongness" of someone's salary based solely on the dollar amount.

Most football coaches (programs really) generate wealth for the university (NJ notwithstanding, something alleged in this thread) so they are all evil profit makers. (how schools pay for scholarships, facilities and much more) But then again, not all colleges are public so God knows what kind of standard is at play. (??)

Most football coaches (programs really) generate wealth for the university (NJ notwithstanding, something alleged in this thread) so they are all evil profit makers. (how schools pay for scholarships, facilities and much more) But then again, not all colleges are public so God knows what kind of standard is at play. (??)

Public ones BILK from the taxpayer for all they can GET...and claim expenses...

Indeed. Another phrase is knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Problem with elitists is you expect to be given what others work for.

What in tarnation...?!?!?

What nonsense are you saying now?

What does that even mean?

Have you lost your cotton pickin' mind?

So far the Conservative responses seem to lean towards the rich neighborhoods having the best teachers as they can afford it.

No actual dollar amount mentioned...interesting.

Let's see what else comes out.

Why would you get a dollar amount, Mensa Boy? The cost of living and standard salaries vary widely according to where one lives. Telling you the dollar amount for where I am is going to mean nothing to you unless you also live in this area. Duuhhhh.

Then give the dollar amount in your area.

Iths thimple.

So far not even a range from your right wingers.

Interesting.

Less and less everyday. How much does a teacher get paid in Brazil, Mexico, India, Turkey, China or the Soviet Union?

Google BRIC nations.

WTF.com!?!?!

Are we to compare every facet of our lives to 2nd and 3rd World countries now?

Are you insane?!??

No, not quite insane. But sane enough to realize that American exceptionalism is dead.

We are the deadbeats of the world, and we crashed the world's economy. Globalization demands that Americans be paid exactly what the world average for labor can demand. IOW beans and rice.

Get used to it. Or stop voting for globalization hawks like Obama, Gore, Clinton and Clinton.

Cecilie1200 "No one is demonizing teachers, Junior. We're being mature and realistic about them. Give it a try sometime."

I'll have you know, that I attended a inner city highschool with 3500 students, 3 principals, & 5 truancy officers. So don't presume to tell me how easy teachers have it. A teacher was tossed out a 2nd story window, by students who thought it was funny. Not everyone attended some B "f"ing E school like you did in the middle of "Little House on the Prairie" land with a student population of 25.

We had fights everyday, drugs, weapons, just to name a few. I even got to witness one girl stab another girl through the face with a pair of sheers in art room, Oh yeah it was almost like it came out of Hollywood like you stated.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher in a school like that, so now tell me what "YOU THINK YOU KNOW!!!!

So far the Conservative responses seem to lean towards the rich neighborhoods having the best teachers as they can afford it.

Why would you get a dollar amount, Mensa Boy? The cost of living and standard salaries vary widely according to where one lives. Telling you the dollar amount for where I am is going to mean nothing to you unless you also live in this area. Duuhhhh.

Iths thimple.

Interesting.

I gave a dollar amount....

Well, considering the cracker-jack box prize that is a degree in "Education" and the most days off of any profession outside of "starving artist" or "working actor":

I'd say forty or fifty thou a year, free pension, mostly free health care, no responsibility for the end product and all the free sex with minors you care to have would equal a pretty fair payment.

Oh wait. That IS what public school teachers get!

Here is the calculator for Cincinnati...

City of Cincinnati Cost of Living Calculator. Ohio--Cincinnati Relocation Calculator & Index.

A single teacher where? Doing what, exactly? Why is it beyond you to understand that not all teaching positions are created alike?

What I find interesting, and rather telling, about you and your ilk is your ability to pick and choose when to use nuance and rationale.

All of a sudden one has to pause and consider all factors before any answer or determination at any level can be made.

Interesting.

Something tells me that you won't approach every issue this way, however...I'll be watching.

Carry on.

Considering the amount of money Republicans think teachers are giving to Democratic candidates, they must make a hundred thousand a week.
Left wing University/College staff do. :eusa_shhh:

Prove it.

I have to admit your rantings are similar to that of a lunatic.

Please provide a link, because that's a WHOPPER if I ever saw one.

Iths thimple.

Interesting.

Again, Brain Trust, a dollar amount for my area would mean nothing to you unless you actually lived in my area. Otherwise, you know nothing of what the cost of living here is like, what the schools are like, what's expected of teachers in my district . . . none of the context that would make it meaningful.

What's REALLY interesting is how completely terrified YOU are of dealing with the obvious and logical responses of deciding based on market forces. Teachers are low- to middle-range professionals, usually with Bachelor's degrees, and should be paid according to the going rate in their area for such people. They should also, for the record, get comparable benefits to other such people, as well.

Your insistence on trying to make a complex question simplistic merely because your worldview and understanding are simplistic only makes you look more foolish the longer it goes on.

Cecilie1200 "No one is demonizing teachers, Junior. We're being mature and realistic about them. Give it a try sometime."

I'll have you know, that I attended a inner city highschool with 3500 students, 3 principals, & 5 truancy officers. So don't presume to tell me how easy teachers have it. A teacher was tossed out a 2nd story window, by students who thought it was funny. Not everyone attended some B "f"ing E school like you did in the middle of "Little House on the Prairie" land with a student population of 25.

We had fights everyday, drugs, weapons, just to name a few. I even got to witness one girl stab another girl through the face with a pair of sheers in art room, Oh yeah it was almost like it came out of Hollywood like you stated.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher in a school like that, so now tell me what "YOU THINK YOU KNOW!!!!

First of all, Junior, learn to use the quote function. I don't appreciate having my post included as part of YOUR juvenile ramblings.

Second of all, anecdotal "evidence" is not evidence at all. I don't give two shits WHAT sort of school you personally went to, and I'd be most gratified if you would refrain in future from spewing your irrelevant life story all over me. Nothing you blurted at me about your school changes anything I have said about the majority of schools in the United States one iota, so all you've done is waste screen space, the kinetic energy it took to type it, and my time.

If you really think the choices are urban ghetto and "Little House on the Prairie", then I reiterate that you need to pull your pinhead out of Hollywood and into reality. You also need to pull it out of your ass, but I'd say that's obvious.

A single teacher where? Doing what, exactly? Why is it beyond you to understand that not all teaching positions are created alike?

What I find interesting, and rather telling, about you and your ilk is your ability to pick and choose when to use nuance and rationale.

All of a sudden one has to pause and consider all factors before any answer or determination at any level can be made.

Interesting.

Something tells me that you won't approach every issue this way, however...I'll be watching.

Carry on.

What I find sad about you and your ilk (nothing about you is interesting) is that you think you have any claim in nuance or rationale.

What I find pathetic about you and your ilk (in particular at the moment, since so much is in general) is that you are incapable of answering grown-up questions and run like a bunch of scalded, whimpering bitches the instant someone challenges your third-grade view of the world.

Something tells me you wouldn't be able to recognize nuance and rationale on most issues whether I used it or not.

Run away, little poltroon. Your cowardice answers more questions than your answers would.

They should be paid according to their performance, and not all the same no matter how good or bad they are. Tenure should be Abolished.

Putting a Dollar amount on it is not easy. Cost of living differs Wildly in the US. Are you talking just salary, or do we factor in Pensions, Health Care and Time off? Suffice to say they should be paid an amount the lets them live comfortably in the Middle class range.

The entire debate has been spark because a Union in WIS refuses to pay a little bit more themselves in their pensions. An amount still on the very low end of the scale as Pensions go, and they are being asked to pay 13% of their health care costs, instead of 0. Also still a very low % compared to most people. Despite the extreme rhetoric of the Union and their supporters. They are not being asked to accept some major cut here. This is pretty modest, and only partly brings these Public Sector Employees Wages and Benefits in line with those of Private sector workers.

If Nothing is done, the next option is to lay off 12,000 of the teachers and go to a 45 Student class size. These teachers are fighting to keep their extremely good Contract despite the fact it will mean 12,000 Layoffs and a less than desirable Situation in the Classrooms. It's Greed, pure and simple. You Libs are great at pointing out Cooperate greed, and the greed of the rich, But you seem completely Blind to it in this case.

Last edited:

All of a sudden you got bitch-slapped with the dummy stick huh?

"Wha....?!!?? How should III know?!""

Please....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

All of a sudden you got bitch-slapped with the dummy stick huh?

"Wha....?!!?? How should III know?!""

Please....:rolleyes:

::sigh:: If you fail to provide any sort of data with which to formulate an opinion, how do you expect anyone to formulate one? I also have no opinions regarding quantum physics, since I possess virtually no data on THAT subject, either.

The hallmark of "dummy stick smacking" would seem to be the person who possesses ONE fact and thinks he's prepared to pontificate with complete certainty (eg. shitforbrains leftists like you).

Forum List

Back