How Much Should A Teacher Get Paid?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
And should there be a cap on how much that can get paid?

How much is a teacher worth in your opinion?

And should there be a cap on how much that can get paid?

How much is a teacher worth in your opinion?

Any post with dollar figures is going to be pretty irrelevant as cost of living varies widely.

A living wage in the Bay Area or NYC are quite different then in rural Louisiana.

>>>>

A teacher's total compensation, salary and benefits, including accruals/contributions for any future pay (i.e. pensions) should not be more than a school system can handle while staying within actual receipts.

Pay should not be buffered by a school system going into debt or by the federal government providing "stimulus" funds.

depends how much money can be spent to pay them, the demand for the teachers, the number of people competing for the teachers position, the experience of the person and a number of other factors involved in determining salaries.

So far the Conservative responses seem to lean towards the rich neighborhoods having the best teachers as they can afford it.

No actual dollar amount mentioned...interesting.

Let's see what else comes out.

So far the Conservative responses seem to lean towards the rich neighborhoods having the best teachers as they can afford it.

thats because thinking people know there are plenty of factors involved in pricing salaries.

Depends on whether the Teacher will be equiping the next generation with the proper skill set that will both allow them to compete on a global level while contributing to their country..as Liberals envision, or be "caretakers" until the entire education system collapses as Conservatives are in the process of implementing.

The whole idea of "we have to know what we can pay before we give you an amount" in the two posts above is poppycock. Sorry, but it is.

I agree that a school has to stay within its budget. No argument there...but you're looking at things backwards. If the value of the work of a teacher is X...and you hire 5 teachers making it 5x to pay them...just because your budget is 4x doesnt mean you reduce what you pay. You up the budget.

I'm not for wild spending or spending "too much"...but if you dont pay teachers a living wage or what they are worth...then you're going to get CRAPPY teachers since you dont pay them what they're worth.

That's been the problem for too long. We're getting bad teachers because they dont get paid enough. And people wont pay more because they see the craptastic teachers we have now. So it's an endless circle of fear and non-payment.

There are markets for labor. You are trying, and failing, to insinuate that teachers are somehow exempt and have some fixed, empirical value.

They don't.

thats because thinking people know there are plenty of factors involved in pricing salaries.
I take it you count yourself amongst the "thinking people", so please...share with us all those factors you speak of.

At least as many as you can think of.

There are markets for labor. You are trying, and failing, to insinuate that teachers are somehow exempt and have some fixed, empirical value.

They don't.

No right winger...I asked a simple question. YOU are adding more to it.

How much should a teacher get paid?

Its all opinion...so I'd like to see yours.

Thanks.

Supply and Demand are two big factors, bub.

The whole idea of "we have to know what we can pay before we give you an amount" in the two posts above is poppycock. Sorry, but it is.

I agree that a school has to stay within its budget. No argument there...but you're looking at things backwards. If the value of the work of a teacher is X...and you hire 5 teachers making it 5x to pay them...just because your budget is 4x doesnt mean you reduce what you pay. You up the budget.

I'm not for wild spending or spending "too much"...but if you dont pay teachers a living wage or what they are worth...then you're going to get CRAPPY teachers since you dont pay them what they're worth.

That's been the problem for too long. We're getting bad teachers because they dont get paid enough. And people wont pay more because they see the craptastic teachers we have now. So it's an endless circle of fear and non-payment.

So tell me. How exactly do you pull money out of your ass? I mean clearly thats what you are suggesting people do.

You have budgets for a reason.

I take it you count yourself amongst the "thinking people", so please...share with us all those factors you speak of.

I do consider myself amongst thinking people. I also consider myself amongst the literate people. That may be something you'd like to join because if you were already a member, you'd have noticed that I alread did.

So tell me. How exactly do you pull money out of your ass? I mean clearly thats what you are suggesting people do.

You have budgets for a reason.
How much is A single teacher worth?

Then we can calculate how many of them "the budget" can afford.

Please answser.

I do consider myself amongst thinking people. I also consider myself amongst the literate people. That may be something you'd like to join because if you were already a member, you'd have noticed that I alread did.

Marc is one of USMB's crown dolts. Case in point... pricing salaries.

Fucking clueless nitwit fer sher.

There will always be an economic consequence to setting someone's wage at a rate that disregards the level of productivity thus there can never be a "living wage" (so called).

They should be paid as well as possible. Maybe, going by cost of living from one area to the next, something close to par with civilian "professionals" with similar education and years on the job. (then subtract the 3 non-productive months of the year) That should work out to a pretty nice living.

Forum List

Back