How much of your success was because of Government? ....

The government isn't doing huge favors for public school teachers by paying them to teach, imo...... Good teachers are offering a valuable service for what they are paid.........

oh... i agree. which is why people like gov wilson should stop trying to stick it to them and drive away the good teachers.

Agreed, good teachers should be paid well.

All Gov. Wilson is doing is asking them to pay their fair share! ... :razz:

again... no. they agreed to that.

it was the taking away the collective bargaining. you understand that. i know you do.

Sounds like you seriously lack self-sufficency and pride of independence.

And need the teat of the bureaucrat.

really, idiot? you took my bar exam for me?

Right like anyone in their right mind would hire a lawyer that required the intervening, equalizing hand of government assistance to make them successful.

It'd be like consulting a special ed legal team

i don't consider getting and paying back student loans a 'handout' or 'government assistance'. it's simply what government *should* do.

no one else took my exams... no one else succeeded at my jobs.

i've managed to do quite well, thanks.

go figure.

but then again, you're a rightwingnut twit, so i don't expect you to get anything right.

Last edited:
Less spending and more people contributing would work wonders, but the demoralizer in chief thinks the only way to prosper is to punish success.
Raising the tax rate on the middle class and the poor would shoot this economy right in the foot. It's DEMAND that creates jobs and economic growth. Taking away capital from the consumer base only leads to a stagnate economy.

And "punish" success? Were the successful really being punished by paying a 39% marginal tax rate?

Yep, too damn high, period.........
Are you interested in solving the deficit problem, or just coddling the wealthy? At 39%, we ,had the Clinton economy. Entrepreneurism certainly didn't suffer. Unemployment was below 6%. Banks were lending, houses were being built and furnished. And the federal government was running a surplus.

Sounds pretty good from here.

But when that top marginal tax rate got cut from 39% to 36%, our federal deficit ballooned.

What is it the contemporary Conservative wants? A prosperous middle class or the consolidation of wealth among the very, very few? A robust and able consumer base, or lower standards of living by diminishing disposable income through a flat tax?

And how can a working class family in America today even think of signing on to more of what got us here? Trickle down has always been a canard. It's flood up, never trickle down.

I live in NJ, where property taxes are the highest in the nation. For $7000 a year, we get: police, schools, trash pickup, road maintenance, sewers, parks, etc. It's a lot of money, but it benefits our community directly.

We pay 10X that in income tax. I am not opposed to contributing our "fair share". But "fair" to me, suggests that EVERYONE contributes SOMETHING. That is simply not the case.

Don't you just love the spin doctors who imply that "Republicans hate bridges, clean water, and education"?

That's not what the OP asked.

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

I'll be generous and say maybe 15% for me, what say you?

If clinton had not illegally changed the rules for being a member of the Navy, I'd have to say 50%. Since I was specifically working for the government.

but since they were changed, and I was illegally discharged;

10% I use my HS English and math often.

Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.

Well let's see.

Did the governmet provide all those things out of the kindness of their hearts or were these things paid for by tax payers working in the private sector?

Moving the goalposts?

:lol:

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

All of my primary education.

Half of my secondary education.

The roads and bridges used to get to and from every job interview, job and entrepreneurial endeavor.

Airport function and security for all of those flights for business, especially overseas.

Food safety so I can grab "whatever" for lunch and keep moving without fear of puking in the board room.

I could go on... Government is necessary for most of us to make our livings. Government is not the problem, government that is interested in little beyond re-election in a powerfully rich nation is.

the govt has allowed me to work my dream job. working for the space program. which BTW is a federally funded operation.

China, Russia and India all had launched this week, two were Russian. if we do not fund our space program and keep current tracking facilities at full operational status. we will lose the high ground in space. I don't think many Republicans even understand this fact. But its true. So ya, the govt has done good by me and its an honor to support the USAF, NASA and all other contractors involved.

Let's see....

Well after the Federal government helped my home town rebuild after Hurricane Diane's floods destroyed it, the local and state governments sent me thru-12 schooling that existed because my governments were protecting my society from anarchy and invasions, etc..

Then after my 4 years hitch in the NAV, where I enjoyed about $200,000 worth of additional education and training, I went to a unitersity I could never have afforded if it hadn't been for the GI bill.

Then I spend the next 30 years or so working outside of government in a society that existed becasue the government was there to insure that it wasn't overrun by criminals, and invading hordes of communists and so forth.

Then I got sick and after five years of that, I finally got some help from the Feds making is possible for myself and my family not to become homeless.

Today I still count on the VA for my health care. Not that I use it much (thank god!) but I know it's there if I need it.

I don't how to evaluate how much of my "success" is BECAUSE of the government, but I'm damned sure that if this nation hadn't had a government (or actually many different governments) my experience would have been significantly different.

Last edited:

NONE
Id be more successful and prosperous if they would butt out!

I live in NJ, where property taxes are the highest in the nation. For $7000 a year, we get: police, schools, trash pickup, road maintenance, sewers, parks, etc. It's a lot of money, but it benefits our community directly.

We pay 10X that in income tax. I am not opposed to contributing our "fair share". But "fair" to me, suggests that EVERYONE contributes SOMETHING. That is simply not the case.

Don't you just love the spin doctors who imply that "Republicans hate bridges, clean water, and education"?

That's not what the OP asked.

Yet you do not object to asking those who are most able to pay more and are paying the lowest tax rates in 50 years

God, the conservatives do such a good job at pointing out widows and cripples and saying "That is the reason you are struggling"

it looks like the president is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed marxist elizabeth warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including steve jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did government have to do with your success?

Being a single mother in the 70-80s it worked for me. My three year old was in head start and got a head start. Now what? Help me to get a degree in Sociology and Special Education and sent my three children to college on my income. No scholarships or loans and now they are contributing to society. Now my social security and medicare is more then sufficient. Manage to save from my social security. Hard work and government play a big part. I have always lived within my means. Never had a credit card or debt. Paid cash of used cars. Shopped in thrift store and still do.

Last edited:
Why are so many ashamed to admit that the government actually does some good things?

Every ounce of success I have had in life can in spite of the government. I've had government obstruction, but no help.

Well now lets see.

I grew up healthy thanks to Government's intervention in food and water and preventing companies from poisoning me (accidentally of course). I attended and graduated a public school (thanks taxpayers!) which allowed me to get into a University. I was able to pay that tuition through working and Pell Grants and guaranteed loans (thanks again taxpayers!). I then moved across the country (nice highways) and was able to start working in an industry I love.

Since then, it's been all me. But I think it's fair to say I would not be where I am today without our government.

Well let's see.

Did the governmet provide all those things out of the kindness of their hearts or were these things paid for by tax payers working in the private sector?

They were paid for by taxes from the private sector, obviously. That changes nothing though. The private sector never would have provided me with all those opportunities. The government did.

Something that is simply given to you is not an opportunity idiot. That's called a handout.

Forum List

Back