How Much Do We Spend on the Nonworking Poor?

Help the helpless, but not the hopeless

I have no problem assisting People who are truly mentally or physically handicapped. People who just can't take care of themselves. No problem at all

I do have a problem assuming the burden of taking care of anyone who is able bodied and for whatever reason just can't get off their ass to take care of themselves or their children.

I pick the charities that I donate to. It fries my ass that the idiots in Govt have decided that my hard earned money should go to folks who can't or won't take care of themselves and I have absolutely no say in the matter. Govt sponsored Charity.

Those of you who have no problem taking care of these folks need to start your own charity. Whip out YOUR wallets and YOUR checkbooks and have at it.

Believe me they will take every dime you want to give em.

Aren't you glad your mother receives Social Security and Medicare? Or should she send that money back? After all, it's just making her dependent, right?

My Mother was a WWII vet and she and my Dad worked thier whole livese. She payed into SS and Medicare just like everyone else. She also drew it like everyone else.

My Moms been gone since 2003 and a better woman never walked.

BTW she was a lifelong Dem.
I sincerely hope that the tax payer money she received helped make her more comfortable in her retirement.

Too bad the children of the poor can't be made more comfortable too. But that's the Conservative way! Die or get out of the way kids! You're holding up someone's personal profit!

Last I heard you payed into SS and Medicare. Being vets both she and my Dad had Tri-care. No one gave them anything. They earned it.

Its up to their parents to provide for their kids, not the taxpayers of America. As I said if you want to take care of them then use your money dude and have at it. The parents will take every dime you want to give em. Don't think I will see that though as you sound like one of those lefty idiots who just love to spend other peoples money.

As for your last statement, well, only an idiot would make it and your and idiot.

Last edited:
So, the nonworking poor get about 5% of the budget. I've heard many conservatives use MUCH highter figures. It's nice to have some credible facts brought into the discussion.

So, the nonworking poor get about 5% of the budget. I've heard many conservatives use MUCH highter figures. It's nice to have some credible facts brought into the discussion.

Could that be because your own numbers prove otherwise?

If people with children choose not to work and rely on sympathy for the children to get them money, take the children away.

Back in the day, when my parents wanted a free lifestyle rather than humdrum work, there was no such thing as welfare the way we have it. No section 8, no food stamps, no medical care. Nothing. The court simply took me away and sent me to live with my aunt until such time as my parents decided to work and maintain a household. They had the absolute freedom to continue living on the streets. It worked quite well. It took about a year during which time there was no visitation before my Dad decided to get a job and rent an apartment. He was never unemployed after that. It worked out well.

And this is how it should be. Single moms have families, they have moms and dads, aunts & uncles. We should take care of our families, the government should only take care of those that can't and have no family to help.

Hey y'all, in case you didn't know it your aging parents are your family. My mom is 80, blind, diabetic and broke her hip in December........she's coming home from rehab/nursing home in a couple of weeks. On the other hand we could just leave her there and let the state take care of her.

We conservatives talk about personal responsibility, this is it, this is what they mean. You and your family created it, now take care of it. It's not my responsibility to take care of snotty nosed kids that have two parents that are more than capable of working. If I must, take them out of that home until the parents stand up and get jobs. I have no problem helping them in foster care until their dead beat parents grow up.

We are enabling generations of government dependent families, keep giving the alcoholic free booze and he'll continue to drink, probably won't ever seek help. They have no reason to better themselves, there is no reward for hard work when I pay for them not to work at all.

Last edited:
Naturegirl............HOW MANY "government dependent families" are there?

Are there ranks increasing? Can you quantify the increase? Can you substantiate that our policies are responsible for any increase?

HOW MANY?????????

Anyone on here looking to hire a welfare recipient I know that is looking for work?

Person has no real applicable skills, reads at about the 6 -7 grade level. Has virtually no math skills. And people skills are only so so.

Person has a couple kids, so please be able to offer a wage high enough to pay for child care. One of the kids is special needs. Please be flexable with time off work.

Her diabetes is pretty much under control, so she shouldn't miss to much work for that illness.

Is obese ok?

Her mental health seems to be stable when she take her meds.

She has no car. Can you all pick her up for work or please be on a bus line.

She did once have a job, but it was as a dishwasher for a resturant.

If you all are looking to hire a fine person with these skills, let me know. And if you need more just like this, I know there are a few million of them out there.

Anyone on here looking to hire a welfare recipient I know that is looking for work?

Person has no real applicable skills, reads at about the 6 -7 grade level. Has virtually no math skills. And people skills are only so so.

Person has a couple kids, so please be able to offer a wage high enough to pay for child care. One of the kids is special needs. Please be flexable with time off work.

Her diabetes is pretty much under control, so she shouldn't miss to much work for that illness.

Is obese ok?

Her mental health seems to be stable when she take her meds.

She has no car. Can you all pick her up for work or please be on a bus line.

She did once have a job, but it was as a dishwasher for a resturant.

If you all are looking to hire a fine person with these skills, let me know. And if you need more just like this, I know there are a few million of them out there.

Zeke, thank you for giving a perfect example of a government dependent person.

She could go back to school to learn a trade.

Child care will be provided temporarily while she improves her life through education. Her special needs child is entitled to help provided by the government through a government program. Obviously she does not possess the skills to care for a special needs child.

Diabetes wouldn't be too much of a problem if she weren't obese. BTW, how can someone on a limited income get obese? I thought they were so poor they couldn't afford to eat anything but ramen noodles.

She can relocate to an area that provides public transportation, there are many.

Good at least she knows how to do something, even if it's washing dishes.

Better yet, let's get the kids in foster care until she can get on her feet.

Last edited:
Where does it say that those that work should provide for the non workers in America??

If you and all likeminded think thats the way to go and you feel morally obligated to support em and you want to assume that burden then by all means have at it. No one is stopping you. You can dish our YOUR money.

The only people I feel morally obligated to help are those that are truly mentally or physically handicapped. People who can't take care of themselves.

Able bodies Americans?? No way.

As for your diabetic, uneducated mental case woman. She looks like a prime candidate to take your money dude. Go ahead and support her since you feel morally obligated to do so. Of course it won't take her long to drain your bank account. Oh well. Thats the breaks and it your decision.

And thats the crux of the matter. It would be YOUR DECISION. Not the Govt deciding how all Americans should spend THEIR MONEY and who it should be spent on.

Last edited:
Yes, let single mothers with cancer fend for themselves.

Do you have an ounce of honesty within you?

There shouldn't be single mothers. The fathers should be getting off their asses and taking care of themselves and their own.

Sure, that's how Communism was supposed to work.

The fact that a single mother is not compelled by law to name the father of her brats is proof that the government wants to have more people dependent on it.

Are there ranks increasing? Can you quantify the increase? Can you substantiate that our policies are responsible for any increase?

HOW MANY?????????

There are more people on Welfare since 2008 than in the history of our country. How about you tell me why. If you think our current policies are helping people get off government dependence, I'll sell you some ocean front property in Kentucky. My family has owned the land for generations and just decided to put it on the market, cheap. :D

Where does it say that those that work should provide for the non workers in America??

If you and all likeminded think thats the way to go and you feel morally obligated to support em and you want to assume that burden then by all means have at it. No one is stopping you. You can dish our YOUR money.

The only people I feel morally obligated to help are those that are truly mentally or physically handicapped. People who can't take care of themselves.

As for your diabetic, uneducated mental case woman. She looks like a prime candidate to take your money dude. Go ahead and support her since you feel morally obligated to do so. Of course it won't take her long to drain your bank account. Oh well.

Claudette,

Are you aware that you have submitted a version of this statement about 6 times in the past few days.

It seems as though you are trying to convince yourself that you are not a cold-hearted bitch tightly grasping every penny. Is it working?

HOW MANY?????????

There are more people on Welfare since 2008 than in the history of our country. How about you tell me why. If you think our current policies are helping people get off government dependence, I'll sell you some ocean front property in Kentucky. My family has owned the land for generations and just decided to put it on the market, cheap. :D

How many GOVERNMENT DEPENDENT FAMILIES who refuse to work because they are provided for by the government? HOW MANY?

Does this mean you are looking to hire? What kind of job will you be offering. Relocation assistance?
What trade you think she should go for?

You are proposing a LOT of government help. How much would that help cost? Child care, foster care, housing assistance and re education and then government paid job training. How much does all that cost? vs a welfare check?

She is already in an area that has public transportation. The question is; will her employer be on the bus line? That is the problem. Or will you pick her up for work?

And I don't think you know much about what foods are available to poor people. Fast food is cheap and processed food are only a little bit more money. And there are not any grocery stores in the inner city. So poor people eat what is available. And what is most available is empty calories and weight gain.

Now taking away her kids is going to be a problem. She loves her kids and may question why they have to be taken away. But she is a poor person looking for help and I guess she would have to go along with the program. She may think she is being punished, but to bad.

Sounds like I got one welfare recipient a job and a Repub named Nature Girl is hiring her or at least refering her to an employer looking to hire welfare recipients. WOW. Next.

As for your diabetic, uneducated mental case woman. She looks like a prime candidate to take your money dude. Go ahead and support her since you feel morally obligated to do so. Of course it won't take her long to drain your bank account. Oh well.

Claudette,

Are you aware that you have submitted a version of this statement about 6 times in the past few days.

It seems as though you are trying to convince yourself that you are not a cold-hearted bitch tightly grasping every penny. Is it working?

Yup. Just fine.

Despite what you may think I'm not a cold hearted bitch when the decision to give charity is left in MY HANDS.

I do give to charity but I pick the charities I give to and I sure as hell don't need the Govt to make that decision for me.

Haven't seen any volunteers who want to band together and spend just their money taking care of the poor and downtrodden yet. Have you??

Does this mean you are looking to hire? What kind of job will you be offering. Relocation assistance?
What trade you think she should go for?

You are proposing a LOT of government help. How much would that help cost? Child care, foster care, housing assistance and re education and then government paid job training. How much does all that cost? vs a welfare check?

She is already in an area that has public transportation. The question is; will her employer be on the bus line? That is the problem. Or will you pick her up for work?

And I don't think you know much about what foods are available to poor people. Fast food is cheap and processed food are only a little bit more money. And there are not any grocery stores in the inner city. So poor people eat what is available. And what is most available is empty calories and weight gain.

Now taking away her kids is going to be a problem. She loves her kids and may question why they have to be taken away. But she is a poor person looking for help and I guess she would have to go along with the program. She may think she is being punished, but to bad.

Sounds like I got one welfare recipient a job and a Repub named Nature Girl is hiring her or at least refering her to an employer looking to hire welfare recipients. WOW. Next.

Wow, you are grasping at straws aren't you. Government assistance should be temporary, you're talking to someone that at age 10 was homeless with a single mom, ninth grade education and no skills, there were also 3 other siblings. Aunt and Uncle's stepped up, one already had three kids of their own. Dad told us to leave or stay so he could continue to beat Mom on a regular basis. She chose to leave.

If she can't care for her children, why are they still with her?? Is it a healthy environment for her to feed them fast food (BTW where did that money come from?). If someone truly loves their children, shouldn't they want what is absolutely the best for them??

Yes, I'll help her find a job when she really wants to improve her life and the lives of her children.

You prefer just to spoon feed her and her kids so they can repeat the behavior, free money, free housing, free food, free phones and cable ensures a vote to the party that says they're helping them. Are they really helping??

Last edited:

Why would I do that? Are you saying that old people are not poor?

Medicare is for the old people. Medicaid is not. medicaid takes care of the "working poor" and should be counted.

Hmmmmm..... No, Mediaid is also for old people that do not have enough SS coming in to cover basics.

http://jfs.ohio.gov/ohp/bcps/FactSheets/ABD_Medicaid.pdf

Typical display of 'Conservative' ignorance.

Forum List

Back