How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif
No one is born a Christian, Muslim, Jew or any other so-called religion. We are all born sinners with no hope at all with out the blood of Christ.

Everyone is born into which ever religion their parents are. How many grade school aged kids do you know who actually evaluate all the religions and decide which religious dogma they want to believe? None. They believe what their parents tell them.

Everyone is born into which ever religion their parents are. How many grade school aged kids do you know who actually evaluate all the religions and decide which religious dogma they want to believe? None. They believe what their parents tell them.

The more pertinent question may be how many children explore the religion their parents present to them? This exploration, of course, must take place on a child-like level, but either the child finds something and continues on--or he finds nothing and religion fades from interest.

The more pertinent question may be how many children explore the religion their parents present to them? This exploration, of course, must take place on a child-like level, but either the child finds something and continues on--or he finds nothing and religion fades from interest.

True, but most children are given only one possible religion. If that religion is an absolute waste in their mind, perhaps they might explore another when they are older, but more likely they just accept what they were taught as a kid. The idea that people normally just choose their religion based on their own informed beliefs is pretty dumb.

True, but most children are given only one possible religion. If that religion is an absolute waste in their mind, perhaps they might explore another when they are older, but more likely they just accept what they were taught as a kid. The idea that people normally just choose their religion based on their own informed beliefs is pretty dumb.

An interesting study might be whether or not people of deep faith perhaps know more about other religions than people who reject all religions based on their experience with the religion into which they were born.

If religion has had a favorable impact on one's life, then it is natural that people might investigate other religious beliefs to examine whether that religion, too, might have something to offer that the first religion overlooked or bypassed.

Last edited:
Born RC. Never really "got it". Went as far as Confirmation (at the insistence of Mom) and dropped out.

Have been areligious ever since

Born RC. Never really "got it". Went as far as Confirmation (at the insistence of Mom) and dropped out.

Have been areligious ever since

Out of curiosity, can you say, specifically, what you never got?

An interesting study might be whether or not people of deep faith perhaps know more about other religions than people who reject all religions based on their experience with the religion into which they were born.

If religion has had a favorable impact on one's life, then it is natural that people might investigate other religious beliefs to examine whether that religion, too, might have something to offer that the first religion overlooked or bypassed.

My experience has been that people of deep faith tend to demonize people of other faiths and accuse them of all kinds of foul things.

My experience has been that people of deep faith tend to demonize people of other faiths and accuse them of all kinds of foul things.
More of an observation most of the time.
Like saying RC to a question about being a Christian. Just supports my observation most Roman Catholics don't consider themselves as Christians.

For example?

My immediate family was Catholic; half of my extended family was Catholic, the other half Protestant, and we had a couple of atheists in the Catholic half. There were people of deep faith on all sides, but no one was foul to anyone. I'm thinking it wouldn't have made a difference to my own faith had they been--but perhaps it would have?

Like saying RC to a question about being a Christian. Just supports my observation most Roman Catholics don't consider themselves as Christians.

This is news to me. What do we consider ourselves? And how does that differ from what others of the Christian faith consider themselves?

This is news to me. What do we consider ourselves? And how does that differ from what others of the Christian faith consider themselves?
Roman Catholic. Like the answers provided in this thread. Which also support the belief in infant baptism by saying they were "born" Christian. Which is absurd if you know the Bible.

I know a number of RC. They go to Rome, where Mary was said to appear here and there, but never Israel. As one RC friend referred to Jesus as "that guy".

My parents were mathematicians when I was born, taught me a bit of it here and there, and prayed to St. Calculus that I would be one, too.

See the similarities with being born a Christian?

Roman Catholic. Like the answers provided in this thread. Which also support the belief in infant baptism by saying they were "born" Christian. Which is absurd if you know the Bible.

I know a number of RC. They go to Rome, where Mary was said to appear here and there, but never Israel. As one RC friend referred to Jesus as "that guy".

First, you need to meet more Catholics. :D

Seriously, Catholic members of my family have been to Israel. Second, Catholic belief is that we are all members of the Body of Christ--i.e., Christian. Baptism is a Sacrament of Initiation. It means little to people of non-Catholic denominations, but Catholics took Jesus at his word when he said not to prevent the children from coming to him. They are immediately welcomed into the Body of Christ and receive the Holy Spirit. In other words, "born again." Until now, I've never heard a Catholic--or any Christian--refer to Jesus as "that guy."

First, you need to meet more Catholics. :D

Seriously, Catholic members of my family have been to Israel. Second, Catholic belief is that we are all members of the Body of Christ--i.e., Christian. Baptism is a Sacrament of Initiation. It means little to people of non-Catholic denominations, but Catholics took Jesus at his word when he said not to prevent the children from coming to him. They are immediately welcomed into the Body of Christ and receive the Holy Spirit. In other words, "born again." Until now, I've never heard a Catholic--or any Christian--refer to Jesus as "that guy."
I never claimed every RC, I know there are outliers.

Your Pope doesn't even know that Jesus "guy". He claimed non Catholics were not Christian.
Pope: Other Christian Denominations Not True Churches

One can dedicate an infant to Christ, but Romans 10:9-11 makes it clear one must personally confess that Jesus is their Lord. No one is Born Again until that point.

RC assigns Saints. Bible says all believers are Saints. RC assigns Saints to inanimate objects. That's idol worship and Paganism. RC prays to Mary. She was just a human who played a big role, but she is not listening then passing it on to God.

Not being mean or attacking, just saying if it's not in the Bible it's manmade, and man has a really lousy track record at doing things on our own.

Your Pope doesn't even know that Jesus "guy". He claimed non Catholics were not Christian.

How many churches do you believe Christ established? Catholic tradition, which traces back to the Apostles and Christ, notes that Christ created one Church. No pope ever said non-Catholics are not Christian. What is noted is that non-Catholic denominations no longer follow the full teachings of the Church Christ established. This is a serious wound to Christian unity. Christ prayed that all his followers might be one as he and the Father are one.

Despite this lack of unity and full communion, the Catholic Catechism also teaches that many elements of sanctification and truth are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church and defines them not as Church (notice the capitalization) but as ecclesial/church (notice lack of capitalization) communities.

How many churches do you believe Christ established? Catholic tradition, which traces back to the Apostles and Christ, notes that Christ created one Church. No pope ever said non-Catholics are not Christian. What is noted is that non-Catholic denominations no longer follow the full teachings of the Church Christ established. This is a serious wound to Christian unity. Christ prayed that all his followers might be one as he and the Father are one.

Despite this lack of unity and full communion, the Catholic Catechism also teaches that many elements of sanctification and truth are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church and defines them not as Church (notice the capitalization) but as ecclesial/church (notice lack of capitalization) communities.
Yes, one Church. Those who call Jesus Lord.
And yes, your Pope called non Catholics not Christians. If that is wrong, a link to his statement correcting that would be welcome.

And as I briefly spelled out, it is the RC that does not follow the Bible.

Unless you can point out scripture as to people appointing people as saints, saints being responsible for inanimate objects, infant baptism, worship of Mary, etc etc it is just manmade BS.

Your response clearly shows you believe the RC to be superior and a "true" church. I'm sorry but that's utter BS. We have different favors of churches because everyone has a different way of getting close to God. But if it isn't in the Bible, it's manmade BS.

One can dedicate an infant to Christ, but Romans 10:9-11 makes it clear one must personally confess that Jesus is their Lord. No one is Born Again until that point.

What Romans 10 makes clear is that Paul is saying there are two ways to God. The first is to keep God's laws perfectly--and he points out no one can do that. The second is to have faith in the grace of God. Paul makes no mention of baptism in this chapter or in this particular discussion.

In the Catholic Church, among other things, Baptism is a recognition and confirmation that this child will be raised, not under the Law, but under grace.

What Romans 10 makes clear is that Paul is saying there are two ways to God. The first is to keep God's laws perfectly--and he points out no one can do that. The second is to have faith in the grace of God. Paul makes no mention of baptism in this chapter or in this particular discussion.

In the Catholic Church, among other things, Baptism is a recognition and confirmation that this child will be raised, not under the Law, but under grace.
Romans 10:9-13 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Baptism is not a requirement. The man on the cross went to Paradise that day because he became a believer.

Again, no infant can make the decision to accept Christ. The Age of Accountability is what determines what happens to infants and children.

Again, I listed several practices of the RC, none supported by the Bible.

Forum List

Back