How many of you guys were born Christians? How many converted to Christianity?

RC assigns Saints. Bible says all believers are Saints. RC assigns Saints to inanimate objects. That's idol worship and Paganism. RC prays to Mary. She was just a human who played a big role, but she is not listening then passing it on to God.saying if it's not in the Bible it's manmade, and man has a really lousy track record at doing things on our own.

Yes, Catholics believe all of God's people are saints (notice the non-capitalization). It also recognizes (not "assigns") Saints--people of faith who have lived an exemplary life, modeling faith. It's kind of like a Hall of Fame. On the other hand, the Church also points to the parable of the vineyard workers in this regard. While the Saints may have toiled hard and long in the vineyard, those who entered the vineyard in the final minutes will have the same reward.

Catholics ask people to pray for them. This goes back to our belief that we are the Body of Christ--the living Body of Christ made up those who are alive today and those who have passed on. Therefore, a Catholic would not think twice about asking someone who has passed on to pray for them, anymore than they would think twice about asking the person sitting next to them in church to pray for them. Catholics take to heart Christ's words that wherever two or three are gathered in his name, he is there as well. If asking Mary for her prayers elevates her, then everyone else who has been asked for prayers has that same elevation.

Remember, Jesus asked the Apostles for their prayers, for them to pray with him. So, yes, it is scriptural.

I never claimed every RC, I know there are outliers.

Not being mean or attacking, just saying if it's not in the Bible it's manmade, and man has a really lousy track record at doing things on our own.

From where I stand, it appears you know the outliers. No, you are not being mean, but nor do you understand.

Yes, one Church. Those who call Jesus Lord.
And yes, your Pope called non Catholics not Christians. If that is wrong, a link to his statement correcting that would be welcome.

Perhaps you should read the link you posted. It does not say non-Catholics are not Christians. Anywhere. Perhaps you can quote the passage where you think it says this.

And as I briefly spelled out, it is the RC that does not follow the Bible.

And as I briefly responded, Yes Catholics do. However, we use Apostolic interpretation, not the Reformation interpretation that came about fifteen hundred years later.

Your response clearly shows you believe the RC to be superior and a "true" church. I'm sorry but that's utter BS. We have different favors of churches because everyone has a different way of getting close to God. But if it isn't in the Bible, it's manmade BS.

Then you misunderstand me. Christians should be one Church, just as Christ prayed that we might be.

RC assigns Saints. Bible says all believers are Saints. RC assigns Saints to inanimate objects. That's idol worship and Paganism. RC prays to Mary. She was just a human who played a big role, but she is not listening then passing it on to God.saying if it's not in the Bible it's manmade, and man has a really lousy track record at doing things on our own.

Yes, Catholics believe all of God's people are saints (notice the non-capitalization). It also recognizes (not "assigns") Saints--people of faith who have lived an exemplary life, modeling faith. It's kind of like a Hall of Fame. On the other hand, the Church also points to the parable of the vineyard workers in this regard. While the Saints may have toiled hard and long in the vineyard, those who entered the vineyard in the final minutes will have the same reward.

Catholics ask people to pray for them. This goes back to our belief that we are the Body of Christ--the living Body of Christ made up those who are alive today and those who have passed on. Therefore, a Catholic would not think twice about asking someone who has passed on to pray for them, anymore than they would think twice about asking the person sitting next to them in church to pray for them. Catholics take to heart Christ's words that wherever two or three are gathered in his name, he is there as well. If asking Mary for her prayers elevates her, then everyone else who has been asked for prayers has that same elevation.

Remember, Jesus asked the Apostles for their prayers, for them to pray with him. So, yes, it is scriptural.
Again, manmade saints. Capitals our not. Our best are filthy rags. The Bible says so.
All believers are Saints. Capitalization. Bible says so.
Nobody in heaven is listening, the Bible says so.
Dead people are not in charge of inanimate objects, the Bible says so.
No one person has direct access to God, we all do. The Bible says so.

I'm sorry, but the divergence of the RC from the Bible is troublesome to be honest. I used to think the RC was the one world religion of Revelations until I began to study Isamic eschatology.

And yes, your Pope called non Catholics not Christians. If that is wrong, a link to his statement correcting that would be welcome.

Perhaps you should read the link you posted. It does not say non-Catholics are not Christians. Anywhere. Perhaps you can quote the passage where you think it says this.

And as I briefly responded, Yes Catholics do. However, we use Apostolic interpretation, not the Reformation interpretation that came about fifteen hundred years later.

Your response clearly shows you believe the RC to be superior and a "true" church. I'm sorry but that's utter BS. We have different favors of churches because everyone has a different way of getting close to God. But if it isn't in the Bible, it's manmade BS.

Then you misunderstand me. Christians should be one Church, just as Christ prayed that we might be.

And Christians are one Church. Your bias again thinks someone not going to an RC is not going to Christs Church. Watch these people. They all go somewhere different on Sunday's, but they are Christs Church.

Born.
But like being turned into a newt, I got better. :eusa_angel:

Let us see the full throat of the conservative view of 'science' and 'logic'. This is Trump's crowd.

My family also went to chruch fairly regularly but reading and thinking leads one to a world where myth and superstition are no longer scary and can be left behind.

Born.
But like being turned into a newt, I got better. :eusa_angel:

Let us see the full throat of the conservative view of 'science' and 'logic'. This is Trump's crowd.

My family also went to chruch fairly regularly but reading and thinking leads one to a world where myth and superstition are no longer scary and can be left behind.

Newton was a great man of faith, good choice in handles.

Again, manmade saints. Capitals our not. Our best are filthy rags. The Bible says so.

No, that is not what the Bible says. Here is an example: Man says abortion is good, a right for a woman to choose. This is what the Bible intends when it says what man sees as "best" are filthy rags in the eyes of God. It does not say the true good man does is filthy in God's sight.

The Bible says God is God of the living, not the dead. If you wish to recognize all believers as Saints, go right ahead. No one is stopping you. The Catholic Church points out some exceptional people--and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I'm sorry, but the divergence of the RC from the Bible is troublesome to be honest. I used to think the RC was the one world religion of Revelations until I began to study Isamic eschatology.

What is troubling is the Reformation reinterpretation of Biblical passages fifteen hundred years later. Instead of reading and interpreting English used at the time of King James, I recommend interpreting from the original languages--Hebrew and Greek.

And Christians are one Church. Your bias again thinks someone not going to an RC is not going to Christs Church. Watch these people. They all go somewhere different on Sunday's, but they are Christs Church.

Jesus prayed that his followers would remain one as he and the Father are one. I doubt the Father and the Son are divided into a myriad of sects and denominations and are hold differing beliefs.

No, that is not what the Bible says. Here is an example: Man says abortion is good, a right for a woman to choose. This is what the Bible intends when it says what man sees as "best" are filthy rags in the eyes of God. It does not say the true good man does is filthy in God's sight.

The Bible says God is God of the living, not the dead. If you wish to recognize all believers as Saints, go right ahead. No one is stopping you. The Catholic Church points out some exceptional people--and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

What is troubling is the Reformation reinterpretation of Biblical passages fifteen hundred years later. Instead of reading and interpreting English used at the time of King James, I recommend interpreting from the original languages--Hebrew and Greek.
Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

The RC needs to learn the Bible.

Idiotic, unBiblical and demonic the RC thinks it appoints Saints.
Idiotic, unBiblical and demonic the RC thinking those who don't follow RC dogma are not Christians.

Jesus prayed that his followers would remain one as he and the Father are one. I doubt the Father and the Son are divided into a myriad of sects and denominations and are hold differing beliefs.
Yeah, demonic how the RC does not follow nor teach the Bible.

Isaiah 64:6 All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

The RC needs to learn the Bible.

Idiotic, unBiblical and demonic the RC thinks it appoints Saints.
Idiotic, unBiblical and demonic the RC thinking those who don't follow RC dogma are not Christians.

When the best a person has left is insults, it is a very weak position. No one can "appoint" Saints. It is possible to recognize them. Despite your accusation, you have not presented any evidence that any Pope has ever said non-Christian denominations are not Christians. It is best to maintain credibility, don't you agree?

A more literal translation of Isaiah 64:6 (from the Hebrew, addressing people of that time in history) notes that, All our righteous acts are like a menstrual garment. Ask any woman if, when she menstruates, she uses something filthy in that area. The fact of the matter is that she starts with a clean garment that becomes unclean. That is why the people needed to take note. They were calling good, that which is evil; they were doing what is normally considered a good thing with mixed motives. (For example, praying--but only to be seen and admired.)

If all your good deeds are like menstrual garments/rags, then you have started out with something clean, but mixed motives have turned it to something that is not clean.

This passage does not tell us all good deeds are filthy. It warns they can become filthy if our motives are unclean.

Tell me, how many times does the Catholic who attends Mass at least weekly, read through the Bible in each six year period? How many times does the Catholic who attends Mass daily read through the Bible in that same six year period?

70% of Christians were born Christian, 30% were converts | Global Broadcasting Corporation (link to survey)
According to a popular research survery, 70% of Christians are born into Christianity, while the remaining 30% were converts.

Which one are you?

christ.gif

I was born as a child sired out of wedlock between two married people, so I am guessing my birth was not `Christian like at all seeing my mother was not a virgin!

As being what I was baptized after being born, well Catholic but now practice Unitarian Universalism...

I was born Roman Catholic. I credit them for now making me an atheist.
so you converted to atheist?
Being free from faith does not involve ‘conversion,’ it is not a ‘belief system.’

It’s an acknowledgement of the fact that religion and ‘god’ are creations of man, imbued with man’s ignorance, fear, and hate, devoid of merit or authority as a consequence.

In fact, the bible doesn’t ‘say’ anything.

The bible was written by men, its religions and ‘god’ contrivances of man, intended to compel conformity and rule over men – in both spiritual and secular realms.

Tell me, how many times does the Catholic who attends Mass at least weekly, read through the Bible in each six year period? How many times does the Catholic who attends Mass daily read through the Bible in that same six year period?
Today's Bible lesson for the RC:
Matthew 23:9 And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,’ for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

The bible was written by men, its religions and ‘god’ contrivances of man, intended to compel conformity and rule over men – in both spiritual and secular realms.
And the fact every author focused upon their flaws and failings rather than sugar coating and changing the story validates it is true.

The point you and I will disagree over is that God is the contrivance of man. I see it differently. God is spirit, and is observed imperfectly by man. Our make-up is body, mind, and spirit, whereas God is pure spirit.

I do believe the Bible (and many other works) might be divinely inspired--that is, they are of the spirit--and that our spirits can be influenced by the Great Spirit (God). However, it is vital to remember that Biblical accounts are all written by men who were also addressing conflicts and wrongs in which humans become embroiled. Who was the original audience? What issue did the author wish to address at that point in time? Does it provide lesson in which we can learn from today?

Where you see Weatherman and me disagreeing is that he ties this Old Testament passage to Reformation dogma and gives it a different meaning than its original intent--while I believe original intent is quite important.

Forum List

Back