How do you teach a 30 year old how to use tools?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
This kid trys , but is so damn clumsy, so scared it seems

I tried making fun of him

I tried to teach him and be kind.

I show him the tricks of the trade, but he is so stubborn and wants to man handle everything..how did you teach someone?

Smash his thumb with the hammer, and then ask him how he thinks a nail would react to a similar strike.

I wouldn't let him use any tool with an electric cord on it.Get him one of those kids little sets where he can beat and bang on stuff for a while.

Well, you just need to face it, some folks have an aptitude for it, and some just aren't mechanically inclined.

I wouldn't worry about it.

How is he with a spreadsheet or a word processor? Can he do your taxes?

Well, you just need to face it, some folks have an aptitude for it, and some just aren't mechanically inclined.

I feel sorry for him he told me he took special ed in school,

He has a real positive attitude. But mechanically not

I have been replaced... My son was given a cast iron skillet and he wanted to use it... He called me and asked how I use to season our skillets... I explained to him the process and he said "damn Dad that is what the dude said on youtube"... :206:

Bear if the kid does not have the "wrench hands" at 30, more than likely he will never have them...

I have been replaced... My son was given a cast iron skillet and he wanted to use it... He called me and asked how I use to season our skillets... I explained to him the process and he said "damn Dad that is what the dude said on youtube"... :206:

Bear if the kid does not have the "wrench hands" at 30, more than likely he will never have them...

If a person ttys and trys..i think there is hope..

This kid trys , but is so damn clumsy, so scared it seems

I tried making fun of him

I tried to teach him and be kind.

I show him the tricks of the trade, but he is so stubborn and wants to man handle everything..how did you teach someone?

If a man hasn't learned to use basic tools by the time he's thirty, he probably doesn't have the aptitude for it.

i think that you guys are being TOO nice . Generally , its my opinion that younger people don't want to use tools . Got a flat tire , call triple a , toilet won't work , call a plumber , time to eat , go to 'mcdonalds' , ------------ aw well , who knows ??

If you really think there is hope, my only advice would be is to be patient...

I am trying both..but for some reason neither is working, that's why I am asking for advice, I knew I out grew it in my early 20's

And one thing at a time. Like how to adjust a wrench properly on a head. Then next time, what direction the wrench should be aligned. Ignore him using the wrench in the wrong direction the first time he adjusts it properly. Praise him for adjusting it properly.

i think that you guys are being TOO nice . Generally , its my opinion that younger people don't want to use tools . Got a flat tire , call triple a , toilet won't work , call a plumber , time to eat , go to 'mcdonalds' , ------------ aw well , who knows ??
Hey now, you are going to extremes.

When bear was talking about tool use I thought he meant like changing a timing belt, rewiring a socket, or replacing a water heater.

Those are obviously simple tasks that anyone's grandmother should be able to do.

The anti-birth-control zealots don't want us to use tools available to us to solve our problems. I'm for whatever it is that will help you solve your problem. I am a great supporter of the Hoover Dam and the wrench. Some of us do not want us to use tools to solve our problems, but I am not among them. Good luck.

prepare yourself for the multimillion $ lawsuit that's probably headed your way if you keep doing this.

I feel sorry for him he told me he took special ed in school,

He has a real positive attitude. But mechanically not

Offer to help him more. But tell him if he doesn't follow your advice and teaching, he is on his own.

Forum List

Back