How do YOU drive stick?

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
I have a basic ride (Chevy Baby!) and I like the manual for better performance when Im on some of the back roads and hills. When I drive I typically shift gears pretty quickly which has never been a problem for me. For example: 2nd gear is up to 25mph, 3rd gear up to about 35-40 etc.

I dont rev the engine too high when in gear...when it goes past 3 rpm I'm already on to the next BUT I have a racing buddy who told me this weekend he reached 130 in 4th gear. And whenever I ride with him he's easily doing 60 in 3rd gear.

What do you do? Shift quick for a smooth ride or rev up the rpms for power? What is the long term effects?

Can't stand automatics. Only ever had manual transmissions.

Now most come with the auto and manual options. I know someone who refuses to use their manual thinking its going to mess up the tranny....I meant, trans GENDER...no no, I meant tranny lol.

Can't stand automatics. Only ever had manual transmissions.

Now most come with the auto and manual options. I know someone who refuses to use their manual thinking its going to mess up the tranny....I meant, trans GENDER...no no, I meant tranny lol.

Think manuals are safer too. Requires you pay more attention thinking about the clutch and shfting so less likely to drift off and not pay attention.

The only automatic trans in our garage is the bride's car. My first car was a stick VW beetle, and every car I've bought since has been stick too. Driving automatics is boring to me, and since I like performance cars I do tend to get the rpms up there before shifting, traffic and whatnot depending of course.

I certainly understand though that lots of folks feel driving stick is a pain in the ass. To each his own.

The only automatic trans in our garage is the bride's car. My first car was a stick VW beetle, and every car I've bought since has been stick too. Driving automatics is boring to me, and since I like performance cars I do tend to get the rpms up there before shifting, traffic and whatnot depending of course.

I certainly understand though that lots of folks feel driving stick is a pain in the ass. To each his own.

When you get the rpm's up like that consistently is there any impact on the cars total life?

When you get the rpm's up like that consistently is there any impact on the cars total life?

I can't see how it wouldn't

If performance is your objective (drag racing), run the engine up to the max HP rpm, then shift. If economy is your objective, shift to the higher gear as early as possible.

It used to be the case if you rode around in higher gears at low rpm's, you would foul your plugs prematurely but with today's EFI and electronic ignition that is no longer an issue.

Note that GM get fantastic fuel economy out of its Vette by very high gearing, so the cars is turning under 2,000rpm at 70mph.

It's never affected any of my cars. I'm not red lining between shifts or anything like that so the engine's operating at acceptable rpms. My driving style certainly doesn't help the gas mileage though but I could care less.

I have used little else since the 1960s.

Manuals are safer, harder to mess up, and cheaper to repair. Used to tinker with the truck and the kids' Rabbits back in the 90s.

They get better road milage and seem easier on the engine.

I like them for moving off a stop sign or a red light, very easy to get out in front of a pack of cars.

I've been driving stick for the last 50 years and have never had to replace the clutch or tranny.

So I must be doing something right.

You are right and your friend is wrong IMO.

Higher rpms in lower gears means more friction. Friction = heat. Heat breaks down your lubricant more quickly=more wear on the transmission.

Plus, engaging the clutch at higher rpms= increased clutch wear.

Now, whether this translates to an extra week or an extra year, I have no idea.

What year Beetle? Mine was a '66.

Forum List

Back