How Do Restaurants, Continue To Get Away With This?

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
If we have minimum wage laws; and we do... How can restaurants continue getting away with paying waitresses less than the legal minimum?
If I receive service that I consider better than average; I'm all for tipping. But for a business owner to assume that each patron is going to tip at a given rate; is nothing more than gambling with their employees wages.
I don't believe in compulsory gratuities, or mandatory tipping. And I damn sure don't approve of employers getting away with paying their employees less than the minimum I'm forced to pay!
How do they get away with it?

Well here is the "official" scoop.

An employer may pay a tipped employee not less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equal at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips.

That being said, I have MORE of an issue with restaurants that pool their tips and split them equally. Each girl (or guy) should get their own tips.

If we have minimum wage laws; and we do... How can restaurants continue getting away with paying waitresses less than the legal minimum?
If I receive service that I consider better than average; I'm all for tipping. But for a business owner to assume that each patron is going to tip at a given rate; is nothing more than gambling with their employees wages.
I don't believe in compulsory gratuities, or mandatory tipping. And I damn sure don't approve of employers getting away with paying their employees less than the minimum I'm forced to pay!
This has been answered here so many times it is approaching nausea.

Try doing a little research on it.

Try fucking off, if you wish not to contribute...

Some people just love to be negative.... makes them feel superior...

Try fucking off, if you wish not to contribute...
I did contribute.

I assumed you wanted answers. The research will provide them. You don't, do you?

it gives the waiters the opportunity to pick up some
undeclared income---------a kind of "GENTLEMEN's AGREEMENT"

As it should be. I certainly don't mind tipping a person for better than average service. However to short change ones employees, in the hopes that every patron will feel that every service was above average; is absurd. For instance when my waitress sucks; she doesn't get tipped. Tips are a bonus. Not a given wage.

As it should be. I certainly don't mind tipping a person for better than average service. However to short change ones employees, in the hopes that every patron will feel that every service was above average; is absurd. For instance when my waitress sucks; she doesn't get tipped. Tips are a bonus. Not a given wage.

I tolerate tipping in the USA as part of OUR CULTURE---like
putting the napkin on one's lap------even thought my napkin usually falls on the floor because I am short so my lap
SLOPES DOWNWARD. the PRICE OF CIVILIZATION

So she deserves minimum wage even when she fails to give you service. Got it.

If I could waitress 9-5 Mon-Fri and keep my own tips, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Glad to see you "got it". It really wasn't too abstract a concept. Poor job performance, and the consequences of such; are the realm of the employers. If she doesn't do her job satisfactorily... Fire her.

If I could waitress 9-5 Mon-Fri and keep my own tips, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
In some touristy areas good servers no doubt make a killing. However not all severs work in such locations. Nor should employers be off the hook the rest of us are on when it comes time to pay our employees.

Just an FYI, cheapskate.

Poll reveals who are the best, worst tippers

You do realize if they don’t report enough tips they make up the difference. And if it happens often enough they will fire them. Now, unless you advocate that all restaurants start raising their prices or charge you a mandatory tip, well...

Glad to see you "got it". It really wasn't too abstract a concept. Poor job performance, and the consequences of such; are the realm of the employers. If she doesn't do her job satisfactorily... Fire her.

Just an FYI, cheapskate.

I'm far from a cheapskate when it comes to tipping for good service.

You do realize if they don’t report enough tips they make up the difference. And if it happens often enough they will fire them. Now, unless you advocate that all restaurants start raising their prices or charge you a mandatory tip, well...

If they have to raise prices, in order to pay their employees wages... I'm fine with that. That's business. Mandatory tipping is horse shit. Some servers suck, and don't deserve the "bonus".

Well here is the "official" scoop.

An employer may pay a tipped employee not less than $2.13 an hour in direct wages if that amount plus the tips received equal at least the federal minimum wage, the employee retains all tips and the employee customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips.

That being said, I have MORE of an issue with restaurants that pool their tips and split them equally. Each girl (or guy) should get their own tips.
I have an issue with minimum wage laws.

Yeah, I bet...

Just an FYI, cheapskate.

I'm far from a cheapskate when it comes to tipping for good service.

Forum List

Back