How do people survive on minimum wage?

---(They don't they just exist after 3 years they become zombies)----

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

read more How do people survive on minimum wage?- MSN Money
There's the first problem right there. People getting by on minwage jobs do not work 80 hours every 2 weeks. They work 80hrs every week. Minimum. I knew a guy, a Thai immigrant, who worked a day job, a night job, and a weekend job. So double that to over $1800/mo. Yeah, you can get by on that.
Second, the number of heads of households who work min wage jobs is miniscule. Holders of such jobs are typically married women returning to the workforce, teenagers, people living with others who are earning money.
Finally, very few people stay at min wage. As they develop skills and experience they increase their pay scales dramatically.
Of course if you increase the min wage you do away with jobs like that, and make it harder for people to get on the ladder. This is why black teen unemployment is over 40%.

That isn't entirely true, at least in my personal experience. Every job I've had that I was paid hourly my employer would not allow me to work more than 40 hours a week because they did not want to pay overtime.

This is yet another unintended consequence of government interference. Some people, myself many times, would be willing to work past that 40 hours a week and forgo getting paid that time and a half--but that is too bad. I was limited by government regulation on the possible money that I could get paid per pay period.

Employers will always do what they have to to cut costs, and if that means bringing in additional workers and cut hours to prevent them from going into overtime they will.

If you wanted significant overtime hours in a wage job you should have joined a union. Or you could just whine and blame "big government".

If you choose to be satisfied with a minimum wage job, you can certainly survive. Move back in with your family, move in with friends, share an apartment with others.
Yeah - like I'm sure the folks in that situation never thought of that. Gee, you must be a genius. If all that fails, can they move in with you?

Nearly 2/3's of the 2.2% of American workers that are paid minimum wage work in the food service industry and they receive tips that more than supplement that income. In reality less than 1% of American workers truly are paid minimum wage.

This is yet another manufactured issue that the left constantly insists the government must take action.

If you choose to be satisfied with a minimum wage job, you can certainly survive. Move back in with your family, move in with friends, share an apartment with others.
Yeah - like I'm sure the folks in that situation never thought of that. Gee, you must be a genius. If all that fails, can they move in with you?

They'll only fail if they keep thinking they're victims. I have faith in them, although some don't.

Nearly 2/3's of the 2.2% of American workers that are paid minimum wage work in the food service industry and they receive tips that more than supplement that income. In reality less than 1% of American workers truly are paid minimum wage.

This is yet another manufactured issue that the left constantly insists the government must take action.

Instead of getting the Hell out of our way and allow liberty to flourish...even thier own.

Gee by your logic if we just cut minimum wage to $0.00 then low wage workers would benefit the greatest since 0% of them, or anyone, would be earning minimum wage.

They'll only fail if they keep thinking they're victims. I have faith in them, although some don't.

Right. Its all about their attitude, sure. Economic reality be damned.

What they really need is some POWER MARKETING

Power Marketing - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Gee by your logic if we just cut minimum wage to $0.00 then low wage workers would benefit the greatest since 0% of them, or anyone, would be earning minimum wage.

Seriously. you dont understand economics, how about you tell me why we dont jack it up to $100/hour?

There's the first problem right there. People getting by on minwage jobs do not work 80 hours every 2 weeks. They work 80hrs every week. Minimum. I knew a guy, a Thai immigrant, who worked a day job, a night job, and a weekend job. So double that to over $1800/mo. Yeah, you can get by on that.
Second, the number of heads of households who work min wage jobs is miniscule. Holders of such jobs are typically married women returning to the workforce, teenagers, people living with others who are earning money.
Finally, very few people stay at min wage. As they develop skills and experience they increase their pay scales dramatically.
Of course if you increase the min wage you do away with jobs like that, and make it harder for people to get on the ladder. This is why black teen unemployment is over 40%.

That isn't entirely true, at least in my personal experience. Every job I've had that I was paid hourly my employer would not allow me to work more than 40 hours a week because they did not want to pay overtime.

This is yet another unintended consequence of government interference. Some people, myself many times, would be willing to work past that 40 hours a week and forgo getting paid that time and a half--but that is too bad. I was limited by government regulation on the possible money that I could get paid per pay period.

Employers will always do what they have to to cut costs, and if that means bringing in additional workers and cut hours to prevent them from going into overtime they will.

If you wanted significant overtime hours in a wage job you should have joined a union. Or you could just whine and blame "big government".

You go from one extreme to another. Forcing an employer to pay an unsustainable pension plan and unrealistic hours only hurts the workers in the long run.

This is the central issue of the auto bailouts. The government, under a more than willing Obama administration, didn't bailout the GD auto industry, they bailed out the auto workers union. Without the union's strangle hold on GM they would have never reached the point of insolvency.

IF it weren't for the unions our armature and chief would have been more than willing to let American auto industry perish.

Seriously. you dont understand economics, how about you tell me why we dont jack it up to $100/hour?

Because it would ruin the economy.

I'm sorry you're an idiot and need to be told these things.

Perhaps you don't understand the definition of logic. What I am saying is that 2.2% of American workers are paid minimum wage, an insignificant number that consists primarily of teenage workers and those in the food service industry.

Again, my personal experience of working in the food service industry is that even working for IHOP I made more than minimum wage.

2/3rd's of that 2.2% of American workers making minimum wage is in the food service industry. Taking that into account less than 1% of American workers are making minimum wage.

Now please read all that slowly and try to logically follow what i'm saying.

If you choose to be satisfied with a minimum wage job, you can certainly survive. Move back in with your family, move in with friends, share an apartment with others. No, your lifestyle may not be what you would like it to be, and hopefully that will motivate you to do a good job at work and advance, and/or take classes and/or get training on a better paying position.

There are plenty of people who do that, and no one is holding a gun to their head to do it. It's their choice because they want a better lifestyle.

Some want to paint minimum wage earners as permanent "victims" when they are not. They are people who are where they are right now, but who can make a decision to do what it takes to create a better existence for themselves. Unless they suffer from a physical and/or mental condition, it's up to them.

Regardless of what they are told by those who "care" so much about them.

Ummm... most people who are in minimum wage jobs lack the resources to further themselves. They have a family to provide for, bills to pay, kids that they need to spend time with. All that while juggling one and more often two and sometimes three jobs to make ends meet.

It's not due to a lack of effort.

Plus, you guys act like there's countless jobs that can completely replace all the low wage jobs. Everybody can get a better paying job, they just don't try hard enough! There's over a hundred million and more of them!

You go from one extreme to another. Forcing an employer to pay an unsustainable pension plan and unrealistic hours only hurts the workers in the long run.

This is the central issue of the auto bailouts. The government, under a more than willing Obama administration, didn't bailout the GD auto industry, they bailed out the auto workers union. Without the union's strangle hold on GM they would have never reached the point of insolvency.

IF it weren't for the unions our armature and chief would have been more than willing to let American auto industry perish.

Maybe the Amateur -In Chief...would have let LAW happen with Bankruptcy proceedings...where the actual OWNERS of the Company would have gotten thier due rather than the UNIONS...and perhaps the taxpayers would be waiting NOT to be repaid...?

It's a trap....run away....

No one forces anyone to pay an unsustainable pension plan. We live in a free country where parties have wide latitude to make whatever contracts they like with one another. If a business signs a contract against their interest then it is their own fault. We call that personal responsibility in the land of the free.

America auto manufacturers failed because they insisted on pursuing a production and marketing model based around big ass gas guzzlers in the fact of increasing gasoline prices. To suggest this massive strategic failure was the fault of the factory worker and not the management is to absolve management of all responsibility for anything.

EDIT:

AND? You think that would have been a GOOD thing if hundreds of thousands MORE lost their jobs?
Fucks sake, whose side are you on? Its abundantly evident you WANT people to lose their jobs. We've known that about the right for a while now - any amount of suffering by American workers and their families is justified so long as it gets big government evil OBAMA out of office.

Last edited:

DING SING DING!!!!! Now WHY would it ruin the economy (knowing this will tell you why the min wage is a bad policy)

WOW. You don't have to work for minimum wage. You can work for 10 bucks an hour. 40 hours, $400.00 entire dollars a week. Except that taxes are taken out, so now you have 350. dollars a week. Grocerys, 100 a week, rent is 500 a month, so take out 125 a week, gas to get to work is 45. dollars. Utilties are about 35 a week in the summer. More in winter.

So, for my weeks work and covering my expenses I get to keep roughly 45 dollars a week. If everything goes right. And I don't mind not having auto insurance or health insurance. Or a cell phone. Or the ability to handle a crisis or mishap. Notice I didn't even try to have a car payment.

Sure, you can live on 10 bucks an hour. If you call that "living". Survival sounds more like it.

But to those that want to try it, just to show us non Rethugs how its done, I say have at it. Show how to live the good life on 10 bucks an hour.

BTW. Paying a rethug more than minimum wage is a true waste of money. They just aren't worth it.
Won't work. Can't teach em anything cause they know it all. Full of bull shit. You end up having to send them home.

---(They don't they just exist after 3 years they become zombies)----

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

read more How do people survive on minimum wage?- MSN Money

They qualify for almost every government assistance out there.

If you choose to be satisfied with a minimum wage job, you can certainly survive. Move back in with your family, move in with friends, share an apartment with others. No, your lifestyle may not be what you would like it to be, and hopefully that will motivate you to do a good job at work and advance, and/or take classes and/or get training on a better paying position.

There are plenty of people who do that, and no one is holding a gun to their head to do it. It's their choice because they want a better lifestyle.

Some want to paint minimum wage earners as permanent "victims" when they are not. They are people who are where they are right now, but who can make a decision to do what it takes to create a better existence for themselves. Unless they suffer from a physical and/or mental condition, it's up to them.

Regardless of what they are told by those who "care" so much about them.

Ummm... most people who are in minimum wage jobs lack the resources to further themselves. They have a family to provide for, bills to pay, kids that they need to spend time with. All that while juggling one and more often two and sometimes three jobs to make ends meet.

It's not due to a lack of effort.

Plus, you guys act like there's countless jobs that can completely replace all the low wage jobs. Everybody can get a better paying job, they just don't try hard enough! There's over a hundred million and more of them!

Prove it. Show me a source that confirms that the majority of those paid minimum wage are anything other than teenagers and those working in the food service industry.

Again, this is a false narrative that the left continues to push. That the majority of those receiving minimum wage are those trying to support families and blah blah blah.

It's BS.

WOW. You don't have to work for minimum wage. You can work for 10 bucks an hour. 40 hours, $400.00 entire dollars a week. Except that taxes are taken out, so now you have 350. dollars a week. Grocerys, 100 a week, rent is 500 a month, so take out 125 a week, gas to get to work is 45. dollars. Utilties are about 35 a week in the summer. More in winter.

So, for my weeks work and covering my expenses I get to keep roughly 45 dollars a week. If everything goes right. And I don't mind not having auto insurance or health insurance. Or a cell phone. Or the ability to handle a crisis or mishap. Notice I didn't even try to have a car payment.

Sure, you can live on 10 bucks an hour. If you call that "living". Survival sounds more like it.

But to those that want to try it, just to show us non Rethugs how its done, I say have at it. Show how to live the good life on 10 bucks an hour.

BTW. Paying a rethug more than minimum wage is a true waste of money. They just aren't worth it.
Won't work. Can't teach em anything cause they know it all. Full of bull shit. You end up having to send them home.

Your post has proven two things: A) you are unfamiliar with America's tax system and B) you haven't ever had to work in these jobs.

Forum List

Back