How do people survive on minimum wage?

With the exception of a few, most of us get out of life exactly what we put into it. Choices you make at a young age have consequences. Deal with it.

This is what you get when you have a society where the price is everything.
Like I have said 1000 times...we live in a country where the nations largest company is a retail giant whose company motto is "lowest possible price".

SO???? We also have the ONLY nation that:
The "poor" in 2010..
a) 8 million at least have FREE cell phones..
b) 40 million getting FREE FOOD ...
c) Millions in poverty have TVs,Cars, internet..

SO??? WHY do you think that foreign BUYERS are spending record numbers in the USA?
RIGHT just because of Wal-Mart!!!

YOU idiots that totally think it is SO... cool.. to knock the USA!
You are such dumb f...ks!!!

WHY if the USA is so bad as you and your fellow ANTI-AMERICANS rant..
GET out! You don't need to live in a country YOU have no pride in!
FACT is it PROVES what a great country it is when idiots like you are still here!
Name me one other country that does the above, that has more record foreign buyers
that has MORE people wanting to live here and then you idiots make YOUR stupid
rants about how bad the USA is!

They don't, they can't, I've been saying that for years, more than 75% of those working for minimum wage are adults and minimum wage currently has the lowest spending power in history. In the richest country in the world, the poorest worker should make a living wage.
GIVE ME A BREAK!

CRY cry cry... you beat you chest with faux angst!

THERE SHOULD BE NO minimum wage!

millions of teen agers would be employed!
Crime would be down!

BUT you pompous people don't you know it IS BECAUSE of minimum wage we have
unemployment records!!!

Right NOW I have at my age of 69 5 business opportunities that can employ over 1,000 people ! I can't put them into reality BECAUSE investors are afraid of the uncertainty that OBAMA HAS WROUGHT!
Investors keep seeing more and more of their startup money being consumed by Federal regulations, paper pushing reporting and it is stifling any job creation.

For example... there is a concept I'm aware of that will INSURE people's venture investment for people investing up to $20,000 and they keep the investment.!
Would you take a chance on that concept though?
NO even though it would INSURE your investing principle because YOU won't take any risks with your meager savings! FINANCING/LENDING criteria is tough!

AND YOU pompously beating your chest about oh...how are they making it... sob sob!!
DO something! Vote the job killing President out of office!

Do you realize HIS EPA is:
The thing is, even though the EPA is regulating the life out of the coal industry in the United States, other nations are mining without any regulations
404 Not Found

How big do they expect the impact to be? The study estimates that the proposed changes “would lead to nationwide employment losses totaling 1.44 million job-years by 2020 and increase Americans average electricity bills by 11.5 percent.” (To avoid confusion, the term “job-year” equates to one full time job for one person for one year.)
Study shows EPA regs will cost, not create, jobs « Hot Air

Just two examples of JOB KILLING Obama Administration!

So don't beat your chest in phony concern.. BEAT the pavement in getting OBAMA OUT!!

Bullshit.

The callous liberal answer is to double the min wage, throwing half the people out of work, putting them on welfare and blaming Bush.

The republican answer is to eliminate the minimum wage completely, force people to work for 3$ an hour sending the former working class into mass poverty, on welfare, and blaming Obama.

No one forces anyone to work, asswipe. But Dems force employers to pay over-market wages. Which is why the black teen unemployment rate is 40%. Do you care about that? No, of course not. Because you are an asswipe.

$7.25 is over the market? What fucked up dimension to do live on? On track with inflation, minimum wage should be in the $11 an hour range.
Do you care about black teen unemployment? Of course not, far right nutcases like yourself hate black people, and think by kissing the ring of your rich masters, you one day will be rich too! Asswipe.

I don't see how living on minimum wage is possible if you have rent, food, transportation but I see it as usually a supplement to other income at least in southern california where everything is so expensive. Like for instance the husband has a better paying job and the wife works at walmart part time for extras. The waitress jobs to have tips so hopefully customers tip well.

I don't see how living on minimum wage is possible if you have rent, food, transportation but I see it as usually a supplement to other income at least in southern california where everything is so expensive. Like for instance the husband has a better paying job and the wife works at walmart part time for extras. The waitress jobs to have tips so hopefully customers tip well.

Or you dont live in California or New York or Michigan or any other liberal ran state

Or you dont live in California or New York or Michigan or any other liberal ran state

Or willing to SETTLE for mediocrity because your Government TELLS YOU that you have to and have NO Choice.:evil:

The question should be is WHY anyone would tolerate Government picking winnders and losers.

WHY is thier a minimumwage? Because it Gives UNIONS room to jack UP thier prices for thier money laundering with politicians.

Certain Statists ARE correct on these boards...'Free Market' Doesn't exist...because we have Politicians making sure it doesn't.

YOU get paid for what you're worth.

You couldn't be more wrong

Illustrate or shut up.

I am worth more than thanatos144 then? And hot damn, I'm not even in a for profit job sector and I'm more valuable than him! What a loser!

Thanks Mr. T! We're going to get along just great!

---(They don't they just exist after 3 years they become zombies)----

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

read more How do people survive on minimum wage?- MSN Money

Government cheese, that's how.

We as taxpayers essentially are subsidizing the payrolls of low wage employers.

Article> One of my clients recently reported getting a job at a fast-food restaurant. Since she's been unemployed and desperately looking for work for nearly a year, I was thrilled for her. She was very excited that she'll be making $7.50 an hour -– a whole quarter more than minimum wage.

After she left my office, I got out a calculator. I've never worked for minimum wage, so I didn't know exactly how much -- or how little -- money that is.

Assuming 80 hours per pay period, my client will be bringing home around $462 every two weeks. That's with no health insurance or retirement contributions.

If I brought home $924 a month, would I even be able to survive? I decided to find out.

There's the first problem right there. People getting by on minwage jobs do not work 80 hours every 2 weeks. They work 80hrs every week. Minimum. I knew a guy, a Thai immigrant, who worked a day job, a night job, and a weekend job. So double that to over $1800/mo. Yeah, you can get by on that.
Second, the number of heads of households who work min wage jobs is miniscule. Holders of such jobs are typically married women returning to the workforce, teenagers, people living with others who are earning money.
Finally, very few people stay at min wage. As they develop skills and experience they increase their pay scales dramatically.
Of course if you increase the min wage you do away with jobs like that, and make it harder for people to get on the ladder. This is why black teen unemployment is over 40%.

That isn't entirely true, at least in my personal experience. Every job I've had that I was paid hourly my employer would not allow me to work more than 40 hours a week because they did not want to pay overtime.

This is yet another unintended consequence of government interference. Some people, myself many times, would be willing to work past that 40 hours a week and forgo getting paid that time and a half--but that is too bad. I was limited by government regulation on the possible money that I could get paid per pay period.

Employers will always do what they have to to cut costs, and if that means bringing in additional workers and cut hours to prevent them from going into overtime they will.

Last edited:

If you choose to be satisfied with a minimum wage job, you can certainly survive. Move back in with your family, move in with friends, share an apartment with others. No, your lifestyle may not be what you would like it to be, and hopefully that will motivate you to do a good job at work and advance, and/or take classes and/or get training on a better paying position.

There are plenty of people who do that, and no one is holding a gun to their head to do it. It's their choice because they want a better lifestyle.

Some want to paint minimum wage earners as permanent "victims" when they are not. They are people who are where they are right now, but who can make a decision to do what it takes to create a better existence for themselves. Unless they suffer from a physical and/or mental condition, it's up to them.

Regardless of what they are told by those who "care" so much about them.

Last edited:

The only time in my life I have been paid minimum wage was when I was 14 years old. I know people that work for convenient stores that make more than that. Dish washers get paid more than that.

The question isn't how someone survives on minimum wage, it is who is getting paid minimum wage. 2.2% of American workers are paid minimum wage. Illegal immigrants working as dish washers get paid more.

Statistically a insignificant number of American workers are paid at this rate, yet the left will continue this false narrative of 'how do you expect people to survive on minimum wage?' and it only highlights how out of touch these people are.

Everybody is right, and everybody is wrong. :)

On the right, people complain that we should not help poor people unless they are without housing, food, or heat. It does not occur to them that many of our poor would be without housing, food, or heat but for the government assistance they receive.

The poverty level before 1900 was well over 50 percent, with hordes of people crammed together living in squalor and disease. It is the height of stupidity to demand we return to those days before we help the poor. It is precisely because we are helping the poor that we do not have the Third World conditions the fools demand.

We are the richest country on Earth. It is incredibly evil to insist we treat our helpless no better than a Third World nation that cannot afford to help their poor does.

And our homeless shelters are bursting to capacity. We are providing shelter to many with government assistance, but many more have fallen through the cracks.

On the left, people complain that corporations are to blame for people struggling to make ends meet. And yet fully one third of all medically insured Americans did not graduate high school. Did the evil corporations keep them from graduating, or is their own culture responsible?

If you are poor in America, chances are very good you are poor because of your own bad decisions or the bad decisions of your parents.

Now, all that aside, I want to tell you about two different people whom I have helped out of the many hundreds I have helped.

First, an old black man in Mississippi with the implausibly generic name of William Brown.

William was illiterate. His daddy had pulled him out of elementary school when his older sister was impregnated by a teacher. An incredibly stupid decision by his father for which William paid the price.

William was raised in the segregated South, and he lived in the town made famous by the movie Mississippi Burning. In fact, his church was burned down by the Klan during that period.

William grew up, married, and had several children, two of whom he was putting through college when I met him.

William was working three jobs, all minimum wage. And William was in constant pain due to a broken spine that had not healed right. I once felt his spine and was shocked he was even able to stand.

Wiliam wanted to learn how to read because he was a lay deacon in his church and he wanted to be able to read the Bible.

That was his sole motivation. To read the bible.

William looked up to me for helping him learn how to read, but that man is on my list of Top Ten Heroes, and no one will ever bump him off that list.

I know William is one tough yardstick to stand up to when liberals talk about those who are "helpless". Not everyone can be a William Brown, but if they are able-bodied and literate, they damn sure better be putting forth their best effort if they want my sympathy.

Next, I was sitting in a meeting at my company one day and happened to look out the conference room window. I saw a man across the street going through a store's trash can. To my horror, I watched him pull out a mostly empty plastic 7-Up bottle and examine it. The bottle has some liquid in it, and the man drank it.

That could have been anything in that bottle.

After the meeting was over, I ran outside to find that man. I eventually found him in the city library, which is where you will find many homeless people spend their days.

I took him to a Subway sandwich shop, gave the "sandwich artist" ten dollars and told him to load the man up.

During my conversation with the man, it quickly became apparent he was mentally ill. And his illness precluded him from going to homeless shelters. He had an irrational fear of his fellow Man.

Reading this topic, maybe that fear was not so irrational.

Anyway, there are a lot of lost people living in our forests. I think you'd be surprised how many there are.

So some poor people have free cell phones. Maybe too many of them have free cell phones. Maybe there are people taking advantage of the welfare system. I am sure there are.

But stereotyping every poor person as a leech with expensive tennis shoes and internet and a big color TV is just plain being an asshole who probably has never lent a hand to their fellow man in their life.

And as someone who has lent a hand for most of my life, I can tell you that private charities are probably more wasteful than the government welfare system is. They totally suck at due diligence.

Last edited:

The only time in my life I have been paid minimum wage was when I was 14 years old. I know people that work for convenient stores that make more than that. Dish washers get paid more than that.

The question isn't how someone survives on minimum wage, it is who is getting paid minimum wage. 2.2% of American workers are paid minimum wage. Illegal immigrants working as dish washers get paid more.

Statistically a insignificant number of American workers are paid at this rate, yet the left will continue this false narrative of 'how do you expect people to survive on minimum wage?' and it only highlights how out of touch these people are.

I AGREE 100%!
I worked from 3:00 to 12:00 midnite minimum wage and during the day put on my pin-striped suit and called on bankers to get a NEW concept up and running which at one time had 30 banks involved enough that I was able to quit the "minimum" wage job!

Forum List

Back