How did the party of Lincoln (GOP) end up being the Confederate Party

The Confederate party hasn't been around for about 150 years but it doesn't stop the modern ignorant left from trying to make a political issue about it. You almost gotta laugh when the radical left applauds grade school kids being forced to recite the chant that jihad terrorists use before their own bodies become shrapnel to kill the infidel but somehow the Confederate flag is the enemy.

President Eulogizes Former Mentor--William Fulbright : Memorial: Clinton calls the late Arkansan a lifelong student and teacher and credits him with making the world a better place.

WASHINGTON — President Clinton on Friday delivered the eulogy for former Arkansas Sen. J. William Fulbright, who gave his aspiring protege his first taste of national politics and warned him against the arrogance of power.

Speaking to a well-attended memorial service at the Washington National Cathedral, Clinton remembered his one-time mentor as a lifelong student and teacher who established the scholarship program that bears his name and that gave tens of thousands of U.S. students the opportunity to learn about the world beyond America's shores.

"We come to celebrate and give thanks for the remarkable life of J. William Fulbright, a life that changed our country and our world forever and for the better," Clinton told the family and friends of the austere and scholarly former senator, who died of a stroke last week at the age of 89.

J. William Fulbright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fulbright signed The Southern Manifesto in opposition of the Supreme Court's historic 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision.[9]With other southern Democrats, Fulbright filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as well as voting against the 1965 Voting Rights Act.[10]

Southern Manifesto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Declaration of Constitutional Principles (known informally as the Southern Manifesto) was a document written in February and March 1956, in the United States Congress, in opposition to racial integration of public places.[1] The manifesto was signed by 101 politicians (99 Southern Democrats) from Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina,Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.[1] The Congressmen drafted the document to counter the landmark Supreme Court 1954 ruling Brown v. Board of Education, which determined that segregation of public schools was unconstitutional. School segregation laws were some of the most enduring and best-known of the Jim Crow laws that characterized the American South and several northern states at the time.

^^^ Bill Clinton's professed "mentor" ...J. William Fulbright -- Segregationist.
There you go again. 19 50 fucking 4. God dammit. Talk about the Blacks joining the Democratic Party in the middle 60's. Talk about why the GOP is 90% white, Christian and conservative today. Talk about why Republicans at the USMB supports Confederates. Talk about why the vast majority of the north was Republican, and the vast majority of the south was Democrat in 1860 and how those numbers reversed in the middle 1960's. Obviously you keep trying to change the narrative.

I'm sorry you feel so bad about your racist party that you have to reinvent history so you can justify being a Republican, but that's who you people are. Deal with it, but don't lie about about it. Not everyone has tard issues.

Fuck you, racist piece of shit. I don't have to talk to your racist ass about anything. Democrats promoted and upheld slavery for 150 years... started a Civil War over it... lost.. then upheld Jim Crow laws for another 100 years... stood in the schoolhouse door and defiantly refused to desegregate... hung their rebel flags in protest over their statehouses... were active members of the KKK... and then came up with the ingenious idea to enslave black people AGAIN by shackling them to government assistance for another 50 years as they paraded around patting themselves on the back.

You've got a lot of fucking gall to be trying to rewrite history and turn republicans into the party of the confederacy when that is YOUR LEGACY!

The Confederate party hasn't been around for about 150 years but it doesn't stop the modern ignorant left from trying to make a political issue about it. You almost gotta laugh when the radical left applauds grade school kids being forced to recite the chant that jihad terrorists use before their own bodies become shrapnel to kill the infidel but somehow the Confederate flag is the enemy.

There never has been a Confederate Party... only the DEMOCRAT party who formed the Confederacy. It's the same DEMOCRATS who upheld Jim Crow laws for 100 more years, then defiantly stood in the schoolhouse door and refused to accept desegregation. DEMOCRAT party... not the Confederate Party.

There never has been a Confederate Party... only the DEMOCRAT party who formed the Confederacy. It's the same DEMOCRATS who upheld Jim Crow laws for 100 more years, then defiantly stood in the schoolhouse door and refused to accept desegregation. DEMOCRAT party... not the Confederate Party.
It was hard for the Democrats to throw away all those solid south conservative votes, but finally the Democrats bit the bullet and began easing the conservatives out the door. Fortunately, for the conservatives, there was the Republican party waiting, arms outstretched in welcome. Is the transition now complete or will it take some more time for all southern conservatives to join the party of Lincoln?

Southern democrats became republicans during the civil rights era to fight desegregation.

:cuckoo: Totally nutz!
To what other political party could conservatives turn, in their fight against Truman integrating the armed forces? They tried a third party and it didn't work so Republicans had little choice. The Republicans welcomed them and their votes. The end result was that the parties were more in tune with their members and caused confusion with some citizens, and apparently still does.

Southern democrats became republicans during the civil rights era to fight desegregation.

Maybe the ghost of Strom Thurman can shove dixiecrats up your ass for analysis.

Only three turned the rest stayed.
Three politicians, ok. How many constituents?

Have no idea but the real theory is they wanted middle class manufacturing jobs and not work in the fields like their dads and grandfather's ... That's why they really started to vote republican and I have seen it first hand the 11 years I have been down here.

I have seen more racism and segeration when I lived in the chicago area for 38 years then I have ever down here.

Dixiecrats were DEMOCRATS not Republicans.
You can do it. You can work out where those constituents took their votes. I'll give you another 10-20 minutes.

Well, after George Wallace (Dixiecrat) unsuccessfully ran for President, he went back to be governor of Alabama for several more terms until his death and never changed from the Democratic Party. Lester Maddox (Dixiecrat) remained a Democrat governor of Georgia and never changed parties. Robert KKK Byrd was a senior Democrat Senator until he died and the Democrats spoke highly of him at his funeral. All of them were re-elected time and time again by huge margins of victory... so I assume their constituencies stuck by their side. J. William Fulbright (Dixiecrat) was Bill Clinton's mentor... we know where his constituents went.

We are mixing ideologies with political parties. The South changing political parties was not an overnight thing, it is probably still going on. In the south conservatives could still vote Democratic for their local politicians, and I would imagine many still do. In national politics it might be another story. As Democrats had to bite the bullet to give up the solid south Democratic vote many conservatives have yet to bite the bullet to vote Republican, the party of Lincoln.

We are mixing ideologies with political parties. The South changing political parties was not an overnight thing, it is probably still going on. In the south conservatives could still vote Democratic for their local politicians, and I would imagine many still do. In national politics it might be another story. As Democrats had to bite the bullet to give up the solid south Democratic vote many conservatives have yet to bite the bullet to vote Republican, the party of Lincoln.

Well... the adult people who were alive during Civil Rights are mostly dead now because that was over 50 years ago... the Confederacy was 150 years ago. So "conservatives" are not some eternal entity that lives forever.... are they?

We can also talk about the political platforms of the parties and how they have changed since the mid 60s. Lots of differences there. Today's modern Liberal would have been a Communist in 1960. They would have found virtually NO support from the general public. Back during the Civil War era, today's liberal would have been executed for sedition. Your actual political viewpoints didn't come into prominence in America until POST-Bill Clinton!

1960_large.png

1964_large.png

switched.

Only three turned the rest stayed.
Three politicians, ok. How many constituents?

Have no idea but the real theory is they wanted middle class manufacturing jobs and not work in the fields like their dads and grandfather's ... That's why they really started to vote republican and I have seen it first hand the 11 years I have been down here.

I have seen more racism and segeration when I lived in the chicago area for 38 years then I have ever down here.
Social programs solidified this change everywhere in the country, but in the south it was racists trying to find a new home for the 1964 election.

Well... the adult people who were alive during Civil Rights are mostly dead now because that was over 50 years ago... the Confederacy was 150 years ago. So "conservatives" are not some eternal entity that lives forever.... are they?

We can also talk about the political platforms of the parties and how they have changed since the mid 60s. Lots of differences there. Today's modern Liberal would have been a Communist in 1960. They would have found virtually NO support from the general public. Back during the Civil War era, today's liberal would have been executed for sedition. Your actual political viewpoints didn't come into prominence in America until POST-Bill Clinton!
Today's liberal would not have been a communist in 1960, although so labeled by many McCarthyites. There are core values that go with liberalism and one must start with these to define liberalism. As conditions change the means to carry out these core values also change, and it is often these means that we use to define the ideologies. and use the means as definitions. Most college bookstores have booklets on defining and giving the history of liberalism and conservatism.

Forum List

Back