How did the party of Lincoln (GOP) end up being the Confederate Party

R

rdean

Today's Republicans love to go on about how they ended slavery and that Lincoln was a Republican.

But today's GOP identifies with Confederates. All through the south, Republicans whites look fondly of the days when they were confederates.

------------------------------------------

The ceremonies became a celebration of the Confederacy with veterans parading in full uniforms, songs, flowers and a “benediction or eulogy about the so-called Lost Cause.” The events, she said, were carefully advertised as “mourning” during Reconstruction because people knew the activities were bordering on treason.

“It is a way to sustain an identification as a Confederate. It’s a way to sustain your southern identity and to continue to resist the federal government. Even though there is no longer a Confederate army, even though there is no longer a Confederate government. These are very much places where what I call a Confederate identity, is perpetuated,” Janney said.
Southern states observe Confederate Memorial Day

---------------------------------------------

Reconstruction and the Formerly Enslaved, Freedom's Story, TeacherServe®, National Humanities Center
But how could the guarantees of citizenship be extended to blacks when states had traditionally been the guarantors of rights and the former states of the Confederacy were now controlled by white southerners who championed white supremacy?

-----------------------------------------------

What States Celebrate Confederate Holidays? Alabama Rep. Alvin Holmes Wants Them Eliminated In Alabama, Seeks Bill

--------------------------------------------------------
Here is a fairly current map of the US politically. Forget the western red states. Back at the beginning of the Civil War, they were territories and not states and even today, they are very sparsely populated. The vast majority of the GOP lives in the old Confederate States.
Legislatures.gif

Now look at the map from 1860. Notice all the red states are GOP and all the Blue states are Democratic? The exact opposite of how those states are politically represented today.
380px-US_Presidential_election_1960.jpg

So these are all the facts. How things were and how things are.

It's time for USMB Republicans to explain how they ended slavery.
Why are Lincoln's GOP states now mostly Democratic.
How the southern Democratic States became all Republican.
Why would Republicans who ended slavery want to fly the Confederate Flag and not the US Flag.
Democrats' Views on Confederate Flag Increasingly Negative
Did the populations exchange places or did the political parties change places.
Let it make sense from the Republicans at the USMB.

Confederate-Flag-Design.jpg

It didn't bed wetter. The democrook party has blacks on a new plantation along with every other minority and whites who are dependent on meager rations but at least they don't have to do anything more than show up at the voting booth.

The sick sociopath fucks that libturds like you vote for has turned "low income housing" into human hog farms.

But today's GOP identifies with Confederates.

He says this, then goes on to piece together a montage of false assumptions and erroneous characterizations complete with graphics and maps. I was prepared to review some evidence but all I got was pablum. There's not even anything there to refute... it's all speculative idiocy.

Here's what I take away from this thread and what redan might as well have posted:

Democrats have absolutely nothing to run on in 2016. Their policies have failed across the board for the past 8 years and there is no way they can defend them anymore. So they have decided to try and win this election by smearing the Republican party. They will go out there and post threads arguing the Republicans are racists, homophobes, xenophobes, bigots, zealots... people who want to bring back slavery and actively support the Confederacy... whatever it takes!

The Republicans quickly destroyed Lincoln's Republican party and replaced it with a conservative party. Was Lincoln a liberal?

The Republicans quickly destroyed Lincoln's Republican party and replaced it with a conservative party. Was Lincoln a liberal?

This is just sheer idiocy. Did you "learn" this from a left-wing blog or something? :dunno:

Lincoln was very much a conservative. The first real modern liberal president was Woodrow Wilson, one of the most racist presidents in history and a Democrat.

He says this, then goes on to piece together a montage of false assumptions and erroneous characterizations complete with graphics and maps. I was prepared to review some evidence but all I got was pablum. There's not even anything there to refute... it's all speculative idiocy.

Here's what I take away from this thread and what redan might as well have posted:

Democrats have absolutely nothing to run on in 2016. Their policies have failed across the board for the past 8 years and there is no way they can defend them anymore. So they have decided to try and win this election by smearing the Republican party. They will go out there and post threads arguing the Republicans are racists, homophobes, xenophobes, bigots, zealots... people who want to bring back slavery and actively support the Confederacy... whatever it takes!
Republicans are running on Benghazi and scary ISIS.

Republicans are running on Benghazi and scary ISIS.
Yeah Boss Where you been? :eusa_eh:

So this map:

Legislatures.gif

and this map:

Are wrong? Wow, amazing.
Perhaps you can prove your allegations. I would love to learn how they are wrong.
So we need either an explanation with historical evidence or an apology.
:popcorn:

This is just sheer idiocy. Did you "learn" this from a left-wing blog or something? :dunno:

Lincoln was very much a conservative. The first real modern liberal president was Woodrow Wilson, one of the most racist presidents in history and a Democrat.
The idea that Lincoln had more liberal traits than conservative occurred to me as I read Lincoln and of Lincoln and discovered that others also believed Lincoln a liberal. There have also been a few books put out suggesting Lincoln was basically a liberal, which I have not read, but now might.

He certainly wasn't a collectivist who sought to create a nanny state.

Today's Republicans love to go on about how they ended slavery and that Lincoln was a Republican.

But today's GOP identifies with Confederates. All through the south, Republicans whites look fondly of the days when they were confederates.

The ceremonies became a celebration of the Confederacy with veterans parading in full uniforms, songs, flowers and a “benediction or eulogy about the so-called Lost Cause.” The events, she said, were carefully advertised as “mourning” during Reconstruction because people knew the activities were bordering on treason.

“It is a way to sustain an identification as a Confederate. It’s a way to sustain your southern identity and to continue to resist the federal government. Even though there is no longer a Confederate army, even though there is no longer a Confederate government. These are very much places where what I call a Confederate identity, is perpetuated,” Janney said.

Reconstruction and the Formerly Enslaved, Freedom's Story, TeacherServe®, National Humanities Center
But how could the guarantees of citizenship be extended to blacks when states had traditionally been the guarantors of rights and the former states of the Confederacy were now controlled by white southerners who championed white supremacy?

What States Celebrate Confederate Holidays? Alabama Rep. Alvin Holmes Wants Them Eliminated In Alabama, Seeks Bill

Here is a fairly current map of the US politically. Forget the western red states. Back at the beginning of the Civil War, they were territories and not states and even today, they are very sparsely populated. The vast majority of the GOP lives in the old Confederate States.
Legislatures.gif

Now look at the map from 1860. Notice all the red states are GOP and all the Blue states are Democratic? The exact opposite of how those states are politically represented today.

Why would Republicans who ended slavery want to fly the Confederate Flag and not the US Flag.

It didn't, you're just lying as democrats do.

It didn't bed wetter. The democrook party has blacks on a new plantation along with every other minority and whites who are dependent on meager rations but at least they don't have to do anything more than show up at the voting booth.

The sick sociopath fucks that libturds like you vote for has turned "low income housing" into human hog farms.

That's how your delusion works. Your kind can't understand "coalition party". Blacks are an important block of the Democratic Party. They have their own leaders. One of them is president. Hispanics are another block. Gays another one. Women's rights activists another one.

Republicans are 90% white and ignorant.

Here's a good article on why they insist on remaining ignorant. Why their states are poor. Why they don't like education.

Are the 10 Poorest U.S. States Really Republican?

Legislatures.gif

It didn't, you're just lying as democrats do.
Lying about what? Be specific.

He certainly wasn't a collectivist who sought to create a nanny state.

A nanny state southern whites benefit from more than any other group?

So this map:

Legislatures.gif

and this map:

Are wrong? Wow, amazing.
Perhaps you can prove your allegations. I would love to learn how they are wrong.
So we need either an explanation with historical evidence or an apology.
:popcorn:

I didn't say the maps are wrong. I said your conjecture and speculation are unsupported with facts. The maps don't prove a damn thing you claim they prove. You stated that modern Conservatives identify with the Confederacy. That's what you need to prove and the maps simply don't prove that. Do you have anything besides your OPINION? :popcorn:

The idea that Lincoln had more liberal traits than conservative occurred to me as I read Lincoln and of Lincoln and discovered that others also believed Lincoln a liberal. There have also been a few books put out suggesting Lincoln was basically a liberal, which I have not read, but now might.

Well let me just say this... Conservatism is a philosophy and not an ideology. So it is possible for someone to be both a Liberal ideologue and also be a Conservative. Bill Clinton and Zell Miller would be prime modern examples of Liberal Conservatives.

Conservatism is fundamentally based on pragmatic decision making and problem solving. "If I can save the union by freeing all the slaves... none of the slaves.. some of the slaves... that's what I would do." Pragmatism over ideology exemplified. Lincoln was a thinker and he looked at all aspects of a problem to find the most pragmatic solutions after careful deliberation of all sides.

Liberals LOVE attaching their ideological rhetoric to dead people. Jesus was a liberal... Lincoln was a liberal... our Founding Fathers were liberal... Ronald Reagan was a liberal! Any dead person can be a liberal-- you just need to find the right quote or policy and then make the claim.

Forum List

Back