How did Politico get Cain story???

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
The lawyer for one of the accused Cain harrassment suit says Cain violated the confidentiality first...

Hmmmm how did Politico learn of the story??
Supposedly sealed records,etc.....

I don't know and just curious if the rest of you more expert then I in this would know how would Politico get the story and the names?
If this was public record then why the confidentiality agreements?

http://www.timesonline.com/news/loca...d99374672.html

Last edited:
The lawyer for one of the accused Cain harrassment suit says Cain violated the confidentiality first...

I don't know and just curious if the rest of you more expert then I in this would know how would Politico get the story and the names?

I wasn't there so I cannot say exactly what transpired. Back in the 90s, sexual harassment charges were commonplace. It was also commonplace for companies to pay frivolous lawsuits out of court rather than pay lawyers hundreds of thousands of dollar to defend frivolous lawsuits. It did not matter that the suit had no basis. All it took then (and still now) to file a law suit was a filing fee and a statement of the claim. Anyone could (and still can) accuse anyone else of anything with or without cause. Many did it for no reason other than to protect their own job and/or to extort money from the company.

The fact that Cain's employer paid off the accuser's lawyers for a frivolous lawsuit has no proof in it that the accusations were valid.

It is said that Billy Graham refused to ride in an elevator with women he did not know for fear of being accused of saying or doing something he had not done.

Incidentally, the introduction of LOSER PAYS would decrease the frequency of frivolous lawsuits overnight. However, lawyers write the laws and will never deliberately enact laws that cut off their access to the assets of others.

I wasn't there so I cannot say exactly what transpired. Back in the 90s, sexual harassment charges were commonplace. It was also commonplace for companies to pay frivolous lawsuits out of court rather than pay lawyers hundreds of thousands of dollar to defend frivolous lawsuits. It did not matter that the suit had no basis. All it took then (and still now) to file a law suit was a filing fee and a statement of the claim. Anyone could (and still can) accuse anyone else of anything with or without cause. Many did it for no reason other than to protect their own job and/or to extort money from the company.

The fact that Cain's employer paid off the accuser's lawyers for a frivolous lawsuit has no proof in it that the accusations were valid.

It is said that Billy Graham refused to ride in an elevator with women he did not know for fear of being accused of saying or doing something he had not done.

Other than Cains claim of we paid her off so now she can't speak and insinuating that payoff means he gets to claim the charges are baseless.....we just don't know

She was paid $35k to go away. If she talks, she may have to give back the $35k. That is not too much money and I imagine many will line up to pay the $35k just to hear her side

Cain has to be careful, he is digging a hole that will cave in on him if he is lying

there are people who worked with both of these people and know about the case.

Other than Cains claim of we paid her off so now she can't speak and insinuating that payoff means he gets to claim the charges are baseless.....we just don't know

She was paid $35k to go away. If she talks, she may have to give back the $35k. That is not too much money and I imagine many will line up to pay the $35k just to hear her side

Cain has to be careful, he is digging a hole that will cave in on him if he is lying

Could be.. but
1) You didn't answer as an expert... how can that lawyer accuse Cain of breaking the agreement ... if Politico wrote a story based on someone breaking the agreement...
2) As a result, if the woman then claims she can now talk she can tell her side... BUT it will be suspect as it MAY (I don't know for sure) MAY be a "he said, she said" and I would be more inclined to believe him!

It actually doesn't work like that. You don't take the money and sign an NDA then 20 years later decide you don't want to stick to the agreement, give the money back and make $100k from going on talk shows.

Idiot.

Whether she gives the money back or not, she signed the NDA and that means she cannot talk. Ever. End of. And, FYI, it is unlikely that the agreement is with Cain. It is more likely that the company dealt with it. Not him as an individual.

All we have is 'he says', 'she says'... anyone who sees one side or the other as 'right' is an idiot.

Even if the details about it are relatively insignificant, Cain lying now will do him more damage than the actual harassment. He better be careful, the truth has a way of coming out

I think it is all hilarious.... ties to unrepentant terrorists, racist preachers and communists... OUT OF BOUNDS!!!!

10 year old allegations of sexual harassment.... HALT THE PRESSES!!

You people slay me.

Then those people broke the agreement...not Cain first as the lawyer contends.. The woman has NO reason to say Cain broke story first as POlitico got the info then from someone who DID break the agreement.. otherwise tell me what good is a "confidential agreement" if anyone can break it?
The people that knew about the case then would have to under oath of perjury say they did or didn't leak the story to Politico..

either way Cain wins! He can sue Politico's pants off for destroying his campaign, on behalf of people like me that have donated!
I say go for it Herman!!!

It actually doesn't work like that. You don't take the money and sign an NDA then 20 years later decide you don't want to stick to the agreement, give the money back and make $100k from going on talk shows.

Idiot.

Whether she gives the money back or not, she signed the NDA and that means she cannot talk. Ever. End of. And, FYI, it is unlikely that the agreement is with Cain. It is more likely that the company dealt with it. Not him as an individual.

All we have is 'he says', 'she says'... anyone who sees one side or the other as 'right' is an idiot.

There are no criminal charges that can be filed for violating an NDA. Other than Cain crying..."but you promised not to tell" there is little he can do but seek monetary damages.

Since Cain is the one doing the speaking about it, I even doubt he could sue for that. As soon as Cain claims the charges are frivolous, he is violating the terms and she has a right to defend herself.

Idiot.

Hey thanks for your clarity. As I don't have any legal expertise it appears your comment at the minimum has logic if not legal, appropriateness.

Forum List

Back