How are you Treated in Restaurants These Days?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My wife and I went out to dinner the other day, and were treated very "curtly" by our waiter, a 50-ish man.

It is a restaurant that we patronize regularly, but not often enough to be known by the wait-staff. We do not generally order appetizers, and don't buy alcoholic beverages when eating out (too cheap/too pricey, take your pick).

Apparently, this guy picked up on our mode and decided to "mail in" our table service. He came by every 15 minutes or so to see if we were still breathing, but that's about it.. Had to ask twice for a dessert menu, and he forgot to bring it to us when it was ready.

We had a used gift card, and didn't know how much was left on it, so used that to pay part of the bill. When he brought the change it was three dollars and change, plus a twenty. He asked if the twenty was for him. Seriously? He wasn't joking.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that people who are working tables in a restaurant these days should be doing quite well. There are few servers, more tables per server, and the "standard" tip - I believe - has graduated from 15% (1/7) to 20%. There's really no excuse for surly service. If you don't want to deal with people, get a different job.

My wife and I went out to dinner the other day, and were treated very "curtly" by our waiter, a 50-ish man.

It is a restaurant that we patronize regularly, but not often enough to be known by the wait-staff. We do not generally order appetizers, and don't buy alcoholic beverages when eating out (too cheap/too pricey, take your pick).

Apparently, this guy picked up on our mode and decided to "mail in" our table service. He came by every 15 minutes or so to see if we were still breathing, but that's about it.. Had to ask twice for a dessert menu, and he forgot to bring it to us when it was ready.

We had a used gift card, and didn't know how much was left on it, so used that to pay part of the bill. When he brought the change it was three dollars and change, plus a twenty. He asked if the twenty was for him. Seriously? He wasn't joking.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that people who are working tables in a restaurant these days should be doing quite well. There are few servers, more tables per server, and the "standard" tip - I believe - has graduated from 15% (1/7) to 20%. There's really no excuse for surly service. If you don't want to deal with people, get a different job.
I haven't eaten out since the start of COVID.

Stop being lazy. Cook at home.

I don't participate in the 18 or 20% tip thing. I stay with 15%. Tips are going up as it is, along with the price of the food.

Overall, and in our recent experience, waitstaff in general seem to possess an air of entitlement almost as if they feel severely put upon by the least of customer expectations.

I don’t eat out much, but… There’s a great Mexican joint here in Birmingham called Margaronas ( shameless plug), That has the best steak in town. I know… Who the fuck orders a steak at a Mexican joint? You do if you know what’s good for your palette. And the service is always top notch. Is eating out overpriced? You bet your fucking ass it is. But so is grocery shopping. But ya gotta eat!

I go to the Golden Corral on the few occasions I go out to eat. When you get the 4 for 3 coupons at Sam's, plus do the bonus points app, you can eat during the week for less than $7. Or at least you could a few months ago.

I've only been to Red Robin since I stopped wearing a mask out in public this year.
I decided THIS year I was getting back to "normal". So I stopped wearing a mask, unless the place I'm going demands it (like the Dr office), and I went out to Red Robin on my birthday. Other than that, the only "take out" Iv'e gotten is fried chicken from the deli at the grocery store I go to.

I'm DYING to go back to Jack in the Box and Taco Bueno, but being out of work now, I'm scrounging just to pay rent and not end up in the street.

But when I went to Red Robin, the service was still wonderful and the waitress was super nice. She got a tip, but my friends I was with paid, so I don't know how much he tipped. They are nice people though, so I know it was at least $10.

When I tip, I tip on the person waiting on me. I don't tip because I'm supposed to, or because it's "standard", I tip if they are a good person or not.........or at least a good wait person or not. If they are assholes, then they get a penny in the middle of the table when I leave. If they act like I'm a long lost relative, then they will get the max I can afford in a tip. Usually though, my tips are usually $5.00, as the wait staff isn't rude really, they just don't give a shit about their job.

I am dying to go back to the Asian buffet place here. But I don't want to go alone, and all my friends are all busy, busy, busy.....so I just eat at home.

We eat out about every other week. There are a few restaurants we tend to frequent, and occasionally a new one.

The wait staff have been great for us. Yeah, the food is pricier. But overall it's worth it. And we tip well.

At my GC, there is a waitress who has been there forever. She's always loud and boisterous and calls everybody "baby". One day, she announced it was her birthday. I heard her mention it a half a dozen times. I'm sure she was angling for birthday tips. I wonder how many days a year it is her birthday.

Last edited:
At my GC, there is a waitress who has been there forever. She's always loud and boisterous and calls everybody "baby". One day, she announced it was her birthday. I heard her mention it a half a dozen times. I'm sure she was angling for birthday tips. I wonder how many days a year it is her birthday.

Why would you assume she is lying?

Local Mexican place. Great food, great service. They check after serving to be sure everything OK. Always cheerful and polite.

I don't participate in the 18 or 20% tip thing. I stay with 15%. Tips are going up as it is, along with the price of the food.

If you are eating at a buffet, like Golden Corral, 15% isn't bad.

But if you are dining at a full service restaurant, 15% is abysmal. The wait staff don't get paid enough, and are expected to make it up in tips.

If you are eating at a buffet, like Golden Corral, 15% isn't bad.

But if you are dining at a full service restaurant, 15% is abysmal. The wait staff don't get paid enough, and are expected to make it up in tips.
If you want good service in a restaurant that you frequent, tip well. I was a waiter at a Holiday Inn and I can tell you the waitstaff will trip over themselves to help repeat customers that tip well.

Forum List

Back